Gransnet forums

House and home

Should I replace my windows with UPVC

(53 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 24-Feb-23 17:14:00

Years ago we replaced all the windows with dark wood ones. I’ve just arranged to have them repainted: it hasn’t been done for a few years. But the wood is broken on one of them and when I open some of them there seem to be wood lice everywhere. Another window has a strange growth in it! The glass needs replacing in some as it’s gone cloudy. I hate the dark wood. It drains all of the colour out of the room and I long to have white windows. I’m wondering if I’m throwing good money after bad by having them painted. But the thought of the mess that having new ones fitted scares me. I’m going to ask the glass replacement guy to look at them. He did come out a few years ago and was very helpful. The house needs so much work doing. I need to downsize at some point. Should I just let it get worse and sell at a reduced price because so much work needs doing. I really feel quite overwhelmed. Would I regret having solid wood windows replaced with white UPVC? I also think they’re so old the heat escapes out of them: the seal has obviously gone in some of them.

M0nica Thu 02-Mar-23 13:27:08

Absolutely agree GSM. We have lived in our Listed home for 25 years and apart from our recent hiccup never had a problem with doing anything we wish to do. But we both have a lifetime preference for older properties, have owned several 19th century properties and understand the construction and maintenance of older buldings and understand how listing works

Shortly after we moved in a young couple bought a small listed house down the road and went at the renovation as if it was any old house.

We needed the then Conservation Officers assistance and he was telling us he was there almost daily telling them to undo what they had done the previous day. They were expecting to take structural timbers out and they painted, or rather varnished all the carved oak window frames, which were one of the reasons the house was listed and then had to strip it all off. They sold within a year and the new owners understood what they were doing. They renovated carefully and have since extended the property.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 02-Mar-23 14:44:37

New windows are very expensive so I wouldn't replace them if you might move. When I moved, my windows needed replacing but the Estate Agents advised me not to do anything with them. I could just have afforded upvc and buyers might have taken them out and replaced with wooden, so wasted my money. Where I live now, most people have upvc and many have dark windows.