Gransnet forums

House and home

Simba hybrid mattresses

(15 Posts)
Aveline Thu 13-Jul-23 13:04:18

Does anyone have any experience with these? They look good in the advertisements (of course) and in reviews (but I'm not sure if these were sponsored).
I thought I wasn't sleeping very well just due to my age but recently had three amazing night's sleeps while on a mini break. It got me thinking about the current mattress. Any thoughts welcome.

MaggiePalmer Thu 13-Jul-23 15:52:14

It has a tons of good reviews. Seems to be a good choice.

NanaDana Thu 13-Jul-23 16:03:56

We've had one for a couple of years now, as we both suffer from bad backs, and it's been a real bonus. Much better than our previous mattress, which was allegedly orthopaedic, and also quite expensive. Well ventilated too, so not "sweaty" like some of these memory foam jobs. One thing worth noting though, is that the mattress is significantly deeper than a bog standard conventional one. So if using fitted sheets, make sure you get a bottom one which has sufficient edge/lip material to tuck under. You also get a good guarantee with them, which we've obviously never had call to use.

Casdon Thu 13-Jul-23 16:17:36

My adult son had a Simba mattress on his single bed before it was upgraded to a double, and he has an Emma mattress on that. He much preferred the Simba, it’s deeper, very comfortable and well constructed.

Aveline Thu 13-Jul-23 16:42:04

Thanks. That sounds good. I just wish I could actually try one before buying online. I see that you can have 200 night's trial though which seems more than fair.

Mogsmaw Thu 13-Jul-23 16:53:43

We bought one about six months ago, DH chose the top of the range one. It’s absolutely marvellous! He has just said “it has eased my aching bones”.
I love it too, it’s really thick, we have had to replace some of the less generous fitted sheets and I now have a small step stool to get up onto the bed. But definitely the best decision we have made in years.

Aveline Thu 13-Jul-23 17:17:13

Great!

toscalily Thu 13-Jul-23 17:49:19

I recently asked a similar question: www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1325122-New-Mattress

I have since bought an Emma mattress, only had it just over a week, sorry to say so far I have not had any real improvement, in the quality of sleep or reduction in pain. I know it is still early days but I am disappointed, hoped for a better outcome but maybe my joint/back problems are just too far gone.

toscalily Thu 13-Jul-23 17:50:43

I forgot to mention I bought the Premium which is middle of the range.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Jul-23 21:59:30

Have you thought about phoning the mini-break hotel/B&B or whatever and asking about their mattresses?

I did this once and they were pleased I loved it and were delighted to help.

Grandyma Thu 13-Jul-23 23:06:27

My daughter has the Simba hybrid super king and absolutely loves it. It’s helped with her back & neck issues.

Hetty58 Thu 13-Jul-23 23:18:59

toscalily, it took me a few weeks to adjust to my Emma mattress but my back is less painful in the mornings since then. I've heard good things about the Simba ones as well. (I did need new firmer pillows, though, as there was more 'give' than with the orthopedic sprung one.)

Aveline Fri 14-Jul-23 12:22:12

Not spaghetti the hotel was awful. The only good thing about the place was the mattress. The new proprietors must be well aware of our disappointment and dissatisfaction and we can't go back there. Very sad as it was a favourite of ours when run by the previous owners.

RusBun Wed 06-Sep-23 19:06:01

We have a very comfortable double layer pocket spring mattress with soft tension and thick breathable topping, had it for 12 years now. Whatever else I tried, nothing compares. I hate staying in hotels because all mattresses are so hard and make me ache really badly the next day. Another thing that makes a big difference to my low back with slipped disks is a knee cushion - so cheap and highly recommended.

Georgesgran Wed 06-Sep-23 21:32:26

DD2 with permanent spinal damage really rates her Emma.
I’ve got a Dormeo, but opted for firm and it’s probably too firm for me. Had it 2 years now and not used to it yet. Thankfully, I don’t have any back issues, but I thought that with it’s 18 year lifespan, it ‘might see me out!’