Gransnet forums

House and home

Useless floor washing fluid.

(53 Posts)
mantaray Thu 07-Sep-23 16:04:30

I've been using some floor washing fluid by a well known manufacturer for ages, also some own brand fluid from Waitrose and found both of them pretty useless. One adds half a bucket of hot water to two capfuls of the liquid and they promise the floor will be dirt and grease free and will gleam on drying. I find the only way to cut through the dirt is to add some Fairy Liquid, not too much or it will be very sudsy. Do any of you Gransnetters have the same problem or can you recommend some other product. I used to have good results with a little bit of bleach and a little bit of Fairy liquid!!!!

MiniMoon Thu 07-Sep-23 16:11:08

I don't buy floor cleaning liquids. I do as you do. Bit of washing up liquid and a splash of bleach.

Greyduster Thu 07-Sep-23 16:12:02

MiniMoon

I don't buy floor cleaning liquids. I do as you do. Bit of washing up liquid and a splash of bleach.

Me too!

Hetty58 Thu 07-Sep-23 16:15:07

mantaray, anything that's not rinsed away will remain on the floor as a film - that will probably attract dirt like a magnet.

I damp mop with a cup of vinegar in a bucket of water - adding just a few (3 or 4) drops of washing up liquid. It works really well with a microfibre mop (well wrung out, so damp, not wet).

Please don't mix bleach with detergent as you'll just create toxic fumes.

MerylStreep Thu 07-Sep-23 16:24:06

How dirty is the floor if you have a problem cutting through the dirt
Washing up liquid and bleach are the only cleaners I use.
There was a poster on MN who thought floor cleaner was different to other cleaners 🤦🏼‍♀️

mantaray Thu 07-Sep-23 16:25:48

Hi Hetty
That's why I stopped using washing up liquid and bleach.
I will try the vinegar and w/up liquid. thank you.

mantaray Thu 07-Sep-23 16:29:42

Hi Everyone. My floor isn't very dirty . That's why I get exasperated with promises made by proprietary floor cleaning manufacturers. I usually find that most other cleaners on the market do what they say on the tin.

Patsy70 Thu 07-Sep-23 16:35:13

I steam clean my tiled flooring in the kitchen and laundry room, and it comes up a treat.

Visgir1 Thu 07-Sep-23 17:00:06

Patsy70

I steam clean my tiled flooring in the kitchen and laundry room, and it comes up a treat.

Totally agree.
Steam mop you can buy good value ones, not too expensive.

rosie1959 Thu 07-Sep-23 17:02:43

What type of flooring is it mantaray ?

DamaskRose Thu 07-Sep-23 17:04:55

Steam mop, no chemicals needed.

rosie1959 Thu 07-Sep-23 18:16:30

I have LVT flooring it looks like laminate planks but it’s totally difficult to clean. Never ever use a steam mop on this type of flooring

Fairislecable Thu 07-Sep-23 18:19:57

I have a slate floor and a floor steamer. It did clean the floor well but as it dried there was a pale film on the tiles. Which came off easily with a quick vacuum.

However the lady in the tile shop said the film is from the tile grout.

I now use a floor mop and floor cleaner and the finish is fine.

Oreo Thu 07-Sep-23 18:30:51

Greyduster

MiniMoon

Me too!

Another me too here, it works well and cheap as chips.

fancythat Thu 07-Sep-23 19:13:55

I have been using diluted dettol for years.

CanadianGran Thu 07-Sep-23 19:27:10

Dish soap and bleach here as well. I use a capful of Dettol once in a while as well.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Sep-23 19:27:48

Well, I hope you open the windows - to let out the chlorine gas.

tanith Thu 07-Sep-23 19:28:59

Squirt of washing up liquid and dettol in warm bucket of water works fine on my floors I’m not bothered if they are shiny as long as they are clean and I love the smell of dettol.

Spidergran3 Sat 09-Sep-23 10:26:53

Crikey - what a dirty old woman I must be. I use just water and an e-cloth floor mop. Nice clean floors though. Can’t understand the thinking behind Dettol & bleach etc, it’s only going to get walked on again. You don’t eat off your floors - do you?

nanna8 Sat 09-Sep-23 10:31:16

What do you use for polished wooden floors? I worry that the bleach and disinfectant will damage them. Washing up liquid leaves a bit of a tacky feel.

Vintagegirl Sat 09-Sep-23 11:21:56

Interesting posts here. I am trying to decide on type of flooring for kitchen makeover. Workman wants to do those vinyl planks but I would like porcelain tiles but more work. Present floor is sheet vinyl but never feel it cleans fully as dirt collects in textured finish. I use a steam mop but feel old style scrubbing brush is what is needed.

JRTW2 Sat 09-Sep-23 11:24:42

Steam mop or use diluted Elbow Grease

pinkjj27 Sat 09-Sep-23 11:40:55

I use a bit of Zfloral or the cheaper own brand ones and a tiny bit of washing up liquid in hot water. I get down on my knees and wash and dry the floor by hand. It Burns calories and I do it to music. Floor looks and smells great and it keeps me fit, win win.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Sep-23 11:52:59

It all depends on what kind of floor you are washing, what you should use.

I have mainly wooden floors that are varnished, plus tiled floors with ceramic tiles in the hall, bathroom and wash-kitchen.

I wash all my floors in old-fashioned soft soap in hot water, or if they are not very dirty just in hot water. As soap has been in short supply recently in our local shops, I have reverted to washing-soda in hot water.

Be careful of using vinegar on tiled or terasso floors or indeed any stone floors as they may be damaged irrepareably by vinegar, and never use bleach on any floor unless you are certain the floor can stand it.

If the floors look as if there is a film on them when they have dried, you probably used too much soap, so you will have to rinse the floors in hot water, using a mop or floor cloth that has not been in soapy water.

I never use washing-up liquid on the tiled floors as it tends to make them slippery.

I entirely agree that the special solutions for cleaning floors are a waste of money.

Hetty58 Sat 09-Sep-23 11:54:24

Spidergran3, no, you're not dirty, you're the sane one. You're not using toxic chemicals for no good reason. My mother used that awful pine disinfectant everywhere - and that smell still makes me heave. Strangely, though, she was happy for us all to wear shoes indoors.

I'm fussy, though, I rinse the mop frequently before squeezing it out in the water/vinegar mix. Most people just use the same bucket - and rinse in that - effectively spreading dirt and germs far and wide - why?