Gransnet forums

House and home

Dehumidifier recommendations needed please

(46 Posts)
Starof1972 Wed 13-Sep-23 18:56:51

We need to buy one of these by the weekend and I think it best to get a compressor but would like to hear any recommendations you may have so that I can make a decision. I have read some reviews but there are so many!

Starof1972 Wed 13-Sep-23 18:59:52

Just to add that it is to be used in an empty bedroom 12' x 12' to help with drying laundry during the colder months. Thank you for reading!

Hetty58 Wed 13-Sep-23 19:01:25

I'm on my second Ebac (the first lasted over 20 years). This one is quieter. Take a look at their customer reviews.

Commonground Wed 13-Sep-23 19:53:53

I have an Ebac Powerdri and I'd be lost without it. It's very ugly and bright yellow but the benefits make that very easy to overlook. I only bought it to speed up the drying out of an extension built in the very wet winter of 2019. I only have electric radiators and when the prices rocketed I could only afford to use them sparingly, the dehumidifier really helped to prevent mould. I also use it in the bathroom, with the heated towel rail on, to dry laundry on an airer. It is a compressor type and is cheap to run.

62Granny Wed 13-Sep-23 20:06:28

I bought this one from Argos last year for that exact reason www.argos.co.uk/product/8499493?clickSR=slp:term:dehumidifier:2:15:1
I find really good

Whiff Wed 13-Sep-23 22:25:40

I brought my 20l dehumidifier from Aldi it was under £50 2 years ago. It has a laundry setting which is brilliant. It's there own called Homeserve but they haven't sold them since. I keep looking as my friend wants on. Not to noisy . Will start to have it on at night on dehumidifier setting as I had a problem with condensation last winter which cause few patches of black mould round the window.

25Avalon Wed 13-Sep-23 22:38:29

It depends where you want to run it. Dessicant types are best if it’s a low temperature situation such as a garage, as refrigerant types will stop working. The drawback is that they are more expensive to buy and run. I have Eco Air which will also help dry your laundry as it gives off some heat.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Sep-23 22:46:49

25Avalon, mine doesn't heat - but laundry dries without heat if the air's dry enough. I use it in the winter in the laundry room and to dry the shower room without losing precious heat to outside.

V3ra Wed 13-Sep-23 23:56:03

Meaco MeacoDry Dehumidifier ABC Range 12L (Silver) Ultra-Quiet, Energy Efficient, Laundry Mode, Auto-Off, Auto De-Frost - Ideal for Damp and Condensation in The Home

We've got one of these on the landing.
We leave all the doors open during the day and it keeps three bedrooms and two showers free of condensation.
It removes an amazing amount of water from the air, especially during the winter.
It's very quiet when it's running.
I set it to 50% humidity but you can choose.

We also have the same model in the laundry room /conservatory, it is great for drying the washing on a clothes horse.
It sits on the worktop under the wall cupboard so it's quite compact.
I bought them from Amazon.

The water they collect is very good for watering my house plants.

Starof1972 Thu 14-Sep-23 09:47:53

Thank you all so much for the input. Sorry for the late response but Covid has got me again. I am really tempted by the Ebacs but I shall take the time to read through reviews of all that have been recommended to me and take it from there.

Susie42 Thu 14-Sep-23 14:13:49

ebac and it’s British made

MerylStreep Thu 14-Sep-23 14:17:50

Susie42

ebac and it’s British made

And they make washing machines 👏👏👏

Starof1972 Fri 15-Sep-23 07:31:05

Ebac it is! Yes I just noticed that they make washing machines too. My nephew is collecting it for us today. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Sep-23 08:32:34

I’m too late to recommend Ebac then smile, but can I just add that their customer service is great. The first dehumidifier we got from them came with a 3 year guarantee and broke down a couple of weeks afterwards. I took a chance and contacted them anyway and they sent a new one.

Our other Ebacs have lasted much longer.

Starof1972 Fri 15-Sep-23 13:32:25

Maggiemaybe that's still good to hear. Thank you.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Oct-23 00:39:13

I’ve looked at Ebac and it says they have to be left on all the time or they have to reset themselves. Seems a bit complicated for me and I don’t have a power point where I can have it on permanently. I do need to buy a new one, though.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Oct-23 01:24:51

Why do you need a humidifier.

Basic question I know! 😄. But never given it a thought?

MayBee70 Sat 14-Oct-23 01:53:21

I’ve always had one. Ever since a friend of mine showed me how he used one to dry his clothes! This was decades ago!Then we had a mould problem in the house, and the bathroom doesn’t have an extractor fan. And my windows are covered in condensation every morning…except for the two new windows! They’re one of the few electrical items that have never come down in price; never understood that. I’ve actually got two but upstairs one has died on me. Seems that flour mites like humidity too so, if I’m going to get rid of the blighters I need to deprive them of humidity! Always use one to dry a room when it’s been painted or to dry a floor quickly when it’s been mopped ( worry about the dog slipping on it). I can’t live without one!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Oct-23 02:07:41

Blimey how did that pass me by! I’m 77 and always thought that they were for very damp houses or drying the after effect of floods

Whiff Sat 14-Oct-23 06:26:13

I recommend the Aldi dehumidifier last month. But whilst it's great for drying on the laundry setting not very good as a dehumidifier.

As I finally been awarded PIP after 35 years of trying for disability benefits. When to a tribunal the end of August and they awarded enhanced for living and mobility indefinitely and back dated to 7th March 2022. When I first claimed once I knew my neurologist had my diagnosis finally knew what I was born with.

Any way I could believe how much my back pay was. I already had a little ProBreeze dehumidifier for my bedroom which was brilliant. But last winter had a lot of condensation on my bedroom windows and had a couple of patches of black mould which was traced to the roof. To complicated to go into but it was an easy fix and only cost me £20.

Because of how good the little dehumidifier is. I brought a 20l once from Amazon it was on offer £189.99. It's brilliant couldn't believe how much water it collected and condensation hadn't started to appear on my windows yet. So brought another one for my bedroom.

Various settings and has a laundry setting plus others.

I looked at the price of the Ebac one after just reading it on here and blanched at price. Over £300. While it may be British made glad I brought my ProBreeze ones .

Whiff Sat 14-Oct-23 06:27:39

Sorry about the typos.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Oct-23 08:29:26

Thanks Whiff. I’ve been looking at the Pro Breeze ones. I’d never heard of them before but I keep getting ads for them on Facebook. Good to get a recommendation.

Whiff Sat 14-Oct-23 10:20:24

MayBee I took out the 3 years extra warranty at the same time as buying them. Just thrown the water out of both mine. Should have showed you how much they collected. Try and remember tomorrow. If that will help.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Oct-23 12:18:18

I will take out the warranty, something I don’t usually do. I usually only have my old B&Q one on when I’ve had a bath but I’ve been running it constantly for a few days and it’s getting full in a matter of hours. I need one downstairs as well because that’s where I dry the washing and I can’t carry it around.

Whiff Sun 15-Oct-23 14:19:14

MayBee these was the level of water collected in both my bedrooms spare and my room. Over a over 10 hour period on low setting . No condensation. But there was bit on my living room window this morning.