Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen dilemma. Will I won’t I ?

(196 Posts)
Socialmedia70 Sat 16-Sep-23 12:36:09

I am 73 and have lived alone in a lovely bungalow for nearly 25yrs. I replaced my kitchen benches, sink and floor tiles about 8 years ago. My dilemma is do I now replace the full kitchen which is perfectly acceptable but tired looking. The quote for my new kitchen will use up half of my life savings. My kids say do it but I have always had a safety net of savings which are going down steadily and are not being replenished.

Skydancer Sat 16-Sep-23 12:42:51

You might be able to get doors and worktops replaced leaving behind the actual carcasses. This would be much cheaper than a new kitchen and with far less upheaval involved. Or you might be able to have the kitchen spray painted which I have heard can look wonderful.

Baggs Sat 16-Sep-23 12:43:44

Based on information given, I wouldn't. But then I've always been a make-do sort of person. It simply doesn't bother me in the slightest if my kitchen (and the rest of my house) is a bit used-looking or technically out-of-date. If it works as a kitchen (or house), why change it?

Waste of money for you, I would have thought.

biglouis Sat 16-Sep-23 12:43:44

If this was me the answer would be NO as I have little interest in kitchens (no interest in cooking) so long as the space is functional. I would prefer to spend the money on another part of the house where I spent most of my time.

Do you enjoy cooking? Is it important to you? Is the current kitchen functional in terms of mobility and what you can so?

These are the kinds of questions I would ask myself before spending a substantial amount of my savings. If the kitchen simply looks tired there is a lot you could probably do with new fittings and a lick of paint to brighten it up. And it would be a great deal cheaper to get in a handyperson for these jobs.

ParlorGames Sat 16-Sep-23 12:46:23

I would be inclined to replace doors and drawer fronts if the carcasses are sound. Might even consider having the worktops re-done.

Aldom Sat 16-Sep-23 12:53:17

As you are only 73 years old and may need savings later on for something health related etc., I would do as others suggest and simply smarten up your kitchen.

Shinamae Sat 16-Sep-23 12:56:43

My kitchen was put in over 20 years ago and it looks a bit tired but then so do I and I really don’t think it necessary to change anything.
It serves its purpose, and when I see the price’s being quoted for new kitchens, it takes my breath away.
My sofa is also about the same age and it’s very comfortable and I just cover it in the throws which are easily washed..

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Sep-23 12:57:30

I think it depends on the state of the carcasses and whether or not you like the current configuration. If I was happy with the layout and it's sound I'd get a quote for new doors and worksurfaces.
If they are wooden doors you could get a quote for sanding and spraying a new colour?

Aveline Sat 16-Sep-23 13:09:42

I simply don't understand why 'kitchens' are so exorbitantly expensive. Apart from the cooker/fridge etc the rest is just boxes. Quite often poor quality but with pricy plastic doors stuck on them.
We put in a new kitchen when we moved here but I resented every penny spent on it.
It felt like expensive rubbish.
(It had to be replaced as previous occupant had been a very heavy smoker and nicotine had stained and penetrated everywhere.)

Candelle Sat 16-Sep-23 13:15:34

Could you look into having the cabinet doors sprayed? I have not had this done but have read that it can give a great effect with a smaller outlay. Less than having a whole new kitchen and less than replacing the doors.

Perhaps new worktops would be possible? If you didn't want the expense of quartz or granite, there are many man-made worktops options.

I would not want to deplete my savings on a 'vanity project' (the kitchen, not you!) whilst there are serviceable but attractive options available. Good luck with your decision.

wildswan16 Sat 16-Sep-23 13:18:41

I wouldn't use my savings for the kitchen. You never know when you might need them in 5 or 10 years time. Knowing you have that nest egg will continue to give you peace of mind.

paddyann54 Sat 16-Sep-23 13:38:08

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and ours is replaced every few years ,if its important to you, do it,Look at Ikea for a reasonably priced range and maybe your family could build and fit it .It needn't cost the earth

catherine123 Sat 16-Sep-23 13:46:03

price spray paint on units and also new worktops my friends daughter had it done looks great

Urmstongran Sat 16-Sep-23 13:51:52

Baggs

Based on information given, I wouldn't. But then I've always been a make-do sort of person. It simply doesn't bother me in the slightest if my kitchen (and the rest of my house) is a bit used-looking or technically out-of-date. If it works as a kitchen (or house), why change it?

Waste of money for you, I would have thought.

I’m with Baggs on this.

Nothing wrong with make-do-and-mend in my book. That said ‘tired furnishings’ don’t bother me. I tell myself it keeps my carbon footprint small then I feel quite virtuous!

What you don’t spend on a new kitchen, spend a small amount of it on an experience. Go somewhere or do something that would bring you a different kind of pleasure. I would! A monthly pamper session at a salon for instance - you’d get many years of facials or relaxing massages for the price of some kitchen units!

That said, we all have different values and priorities. Enjoy your decision whatever it is.

😊

Elusivebutterfly Sat 16-Sep-23 13:53:17

I'm in the same position as you. I planned to do the kitchen soon after I moved then lockdown happened, then I got a quote but I had a lot of family issues, so delayed, and I know that it would cost much more now.
The sink badly needs replacing, the range cooker must be at the end of its life and would mean either a lot of money on a new one or new units to replace with a standard oven and hob.

Aveline Sat 16-Sep-23 14:11:40

I've always wanted a good oak dresser and a big solid kitchen table rather than 'units'. Not possible in our galley style kitchen. I don't understand the vogue for 'island units'.

Witzend Sat 16-Sep-23 14:24:00

Our kitchen is well over 30 years old! 😱
And yes, I suppose it does look somewhat tired now, but it still functions, so quite frankly dh and I don’t care.

Socialmedia70, if it would take so much of your savings, then no, I certainly wouldn’t bother.

We’ll have to replace ours at some point, probably when the built in combi microwave - which I use a lot - dies the death. Nobody makes the same thing in the same size for built-in any more - it’s the same age as the rest of the kitchen.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Sep-23 16:29:52

Personally, if it meant using up half my life savings which cannot be replaced, I wouldn’t do it.

I have always been used to having a ‘safety net’ of money, and a fancy kitchen would give me no pleasure if I had spent a lot on it.

Different matter if the kitchen was appalling, but from what you say it’s just a bit tired and dated.

Agree with others, try and re-vamp it without spending too much.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Sep-23 17:02:53

Witzend

Our kitchen is well over 30 years old! 😱
And yes, I suppose it does look somewhat tired now, but it still functions, so quite frankly dh and I don’t care.

Socialmedia70, if it would take so much of your savings, then no, I certainly wouldn’t bother.

We’ll have to replace ours at some point, probably when the built in combi microwave - which I use a lot - dies the death. Nobody makes the same thing in the same size for built-in any more - it’s the same age as the rest of the kitchen.

Oh, thank goodness, someone else with an old kitchen!

Ours is solid wood and I've looked at new kitchens but the quality seems poor even for more expensive ones.
We've replaced tiles, worktops, floor and sink, cooker and hob but the worktops need renewing again.

What I would like, however, is large drawers instead of some base cupboards as they seem so much easier to access.

If you sold your house, new owners would rip out the kitchen however new it was.

You could have new doors and some base cupboards replaced with deep drawers. Along with new worktops

kittylester Sat 16-Sep-23 17:39:38

We are almost at the end of having our kitchen replaced. It has cost an awful lot, been very disruptive but looks fabulous. We had to do something as our cooker needed replacing and the project just grew.

I just hope it sees us out!!grin

fancythat Sat 16-Sep-23 17:45:04

My kitchen is over 30 years old too!!

We bought expensive in the first place. Me, because I suspected it would be a long time before I would have a replacement.
Apart from needing some new door and drawer handles, and a couple of bits of is it coving, everything is still very good.

Ours also is solid wood.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Sep-23 17:45:14

Well, DH keeps suggesting a new kitchen and he's even older than me! We did think of it but then came Covid and now I'm looking for the least disruptive option.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Sep-23 17:46:02

Oh yes, we had new handles as well.

Then I wished I'd kept the old ones 😁

J52 Sat 16-Sep-23 18:08:30

If it’s going to take up so much of your savings, then I wouldn’t have a new kitchen. There are cost effective ways to spruce up a kitchen, some suggested above.
The most fabulous cook, I’ve every known had a new Formica kitchen in the 1970s and cooked in it every day until 2012.

J52 Sat 16-Sep-23 18:08:49

Ever not every!