The trouble is that we can't say what we would do with the OP's kitchen as we haven't seen it.
The thread is not about my kitchen, but as we don't know many details about the OP's situation I am happy to outline my own situation in case it helps. A simple coat of paint will not solve my problems. My kitchen is perfectly functional, but there are issues with it that I would like to correct. I can afford to do so, but it would mean dipping into my savings, and I would like to keep those in case something more important than a kitchen becomes necessary down the line. At present we live on our pensions (both occupational ones and my husband's State Pension - I don't get mine yet), and this would be the first time we'd dipped into savings since my occupational pension kicked in - they were depleted before that as I chose to leave work early and lived on savings for a year or two.
However, I realise that I can't have my cake and eat it. Is it better to hoard my savings and live with an annoying kitchen knowing that there are no pockets in a shroud, or is it more sensible to spend some of them (I would still have a cushion against disaster) and be happier with something I use every day?
That is my dilemma, and I think it is also what the OP is wanting to work through, but many replies have concentrated on what people have done/would do with their own kitchens, which is not what she was asking.