Gransnet forums

House and home

A very random query.

(45 Posts)
annsixty Tue 26-Sep-23 10:52:18

At the weekend I bought a new microwave, a very basic one as it is used for melting/ reheating etc.
I don’t need an all singing/ dancing one.
I got the instruction book out last night and was very surprised to read that the glass plate/ turntable was only to be washed in warm water and never in the dishwasher.
I have used a microwave many years and have always put this in the dishwasher with no adverse effect.
Did you know this , do you do it and do you know why this should be?

Foxygloves Tue 26-Sep-23 10:56:17

I have too Annsixty. Can’t think of any reason!

Aldom Tue 26-Sep-23 11:02:22

An interesting question. I've just Googled and they say to clean the glass turntable in the dishwasher.
Mine sometimes go in, at others they are handwashed.
I'm intrigued as to why your handbook says not to use the dishwasher.
Is there a UK telephone number so you can ask customer services?

nanna8 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:05:14

I’ve never put mine in the dishwasher and never would. I don’t put wineglasses in,either, though I do put ordinary ones in. I would have thought the glass would deteriorate over time if you do.

Theexwife Tue 26-Sep-23 11:07:47

I have always put them in the dishwasher, it only takes one complaint for companies to change policies so maybe someone’s broke in a dishwasher once.

Bit off subject but I have had a dress for about 5 years which I wash 40% in the washing machine, recently looked at the label to see what the fabric was and saw it was dry clean only.

crazyH Tue 26-Sep-23 11:08:16

Mine has always gone in the dishwasher - in the last slot.. If it’s placed anywhere else, it gets in the way of the spray arms of the dishwasher.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Sep-23 11:17:08

You were lucky theexwife!

I ruined silk velvet curtains by machine washing them they ended up in shreds. Mind you they were over 100 years old and very dirty.
don't give me a job in antique conservation

Grammaretto Tue 26-Sep-23 11:18:44

I would put the microwave plate in the dishwasher annsixty . Whyever not?

Charleygirl5 Tue 26-Sep-23 11:49:15

I always have but I rarely read instructions. Like you Ann I also do not buy all singing and dancing ones.

biglouis Tue 26-Sep-23 11:56:27

Ive never owned a dishwasher. Not worth it for a single household. I just wash up by hand every 3/4 days when there are enough dishes to warrant it. If I leave them by the sink the cleaner automatically does it and puts them away.

littleflo Tue 26-Sep-23 11:59:26

Maybe because it is a lower price microwave, the glass dish is of an inferior quality. It is possible that the drying stage, where most heat is generated will cause it to crack.

I would not risk it. The

Whiff Tue 26-Sep-23 12:39:33

I only wash my glass turntable if anything spills on it and always by hand. I always wipe down the inside and turnable after every use. So it's always clean. Mines a Samsung. Only used for cooking my porridge , making hot chocolate and reheating my tea if it's gone cold because I forgot to drink it 🤦.

eazybee Tue 26-Sep-23 12:40:07

I have never put mine in the dishwasher because it is quite large, never occurred to me to do so.

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Sep-23 13:32:10

We’ve never put ours in the dishwasher as it only gets run every 5 days or so. If the microwave turntable needs washing I do it there and then by hand.

kittylester Tue 26-Sep-23 13:41:51

biglouis

Ive never owned a dishwasher. Not worth it for a single household. I just wash up by hand every 3/4 days when there are enough dishes to warrant it. If I leave them by the sink the cleaner automatically does it and puts them away.

Why not have dishwasher and run that every 5 days or so? Then you could store the dirty pots out of sight.

Ziplok Tue 26-Sep-23 13:57:15

I don’t put mine in the dishwasher either. To be honest, it doesn’t get very dirty usually (but occasionally overflows of food such as porridge if I’m not paying attention). However, a quick wipe with a soapy cloth and rinse is all it normally needs, and for stubborn stains, such as the aforementioned porridge, it goes into the washing up bowl for a thorough clean rather than the dishwasher.

TwiceAsNice Tue 26-Sep-23 14:07:05

I sometimes wash by hand sometimes in the dishwasher . It wouldn’t occur to me you could not

Caravansera Tue 26-Sep-23 15:30:56

The only thing I can think of is that microwave turntables are made from toughened glass and toughened glass tends to shatter rather than break.

If for any reason it did shatter in the machine, and extremes of temperature can cause shattering, or contact with a sharp object, the minute pieces could get into the workings of the machine or into vessels and utensils unnoticed and washed into the water-course causing any number of problems.

Think of a car windscreen shattering or a double-glazed door or window shattering. At least the breakage is fairly contained but add moving water to tiny shards of glass and it becomes a different problem.

Margiknot Tue 26-Sep-23 15:49:41

That's odd as the turntable would need to cope with hot dishes, so must be heat resistant or toughened glass. Glasses tend to go 'grey' and slightly frosty if washed in a dishwasher- presumably due to the alkaline rinse aid? I wonder if the rinse aid also weakens the glass? We did break a turntable in our very first microwave - but I do not remember how ( long before we had a dishwasher so I can't blame that)! Perhaps the simpler models do not use heat resistant glass turntables?

B9exchange Tue 26-Sep-23 16:09:17

Mine doesn't have a turntable, problem solved! grin

JackyB Tue 26-Sep-23 16:10:19

They just put that to cover their backs.

Same with "Dry clean only". Usually you can wash the clothes in the machine, or at least by hand.

As for the microwave turntable, I run it under the tap and dry it with a teatowel, and pop it straight back in. You are not putting food directly on it, so it doesn't need to be clinically sterile, and mine is used so frequently that I couldn't wait the whole time for the dishwasher programme to finish before needing it again.

Is there an order number in the manual, just in case the turntable does break?

JackyB Tue 26-Sep-23 16:11:05

JackyB

They just put that to cover their backs.

Same with "Dry clean only". Usually you can wash the clothes in the machine, or at least by hand.

As for the microwave turntable, I run it under the tap and dry it with a teatowel, and pop it straight back in. You are not putting food directly on it, so it doesn't need to be clinically sterile, and mine is used so frequently that I couldn't wait the whole time for the dishwasher programme to finish before needing it again.

Is there an order number in the manual, just in case the turntable does break?

Mine doesn't have a turntable either, but it has a useful glass tray at the bottom.

JackyB Tue 26-Sep-23 16:11:32

Whoops, sorry, quoted wrong post. No idea how that happened.

Aldom Wed 27-Sep-23 23:13:06

That's what I do Kitty. I refer to the dishwasher as 'the magic cupboard'.

mokryna Thu 28-Sep-23 12:55:56

Because I came home to a shattered oven door one day, which I had cleaned/wiped/scrapped the previous day, I wouldn’t put the microwave plate in the dishwasher if it says not to, just wipe it with vinegar.