Gransnet forums

House and home

GLASS PYREX CASSEROLE DISH

(28 Posts)
truman Mon 23-Oct-23 11:33:22

Does anyone have a tip for cleaning clear pyrex casserole dishes. I do not have a dishwasher and after a while despite soaking the dish and lid and scrubbing, some of the brown cooking marks will not come off. This has happened in the past and I have had to throw them away and buy new ones which is a shame, but they do not look clean after a while.

MerylStreep Mon 23-Oct-23 11:39:48

Oven spray or Brillo pad. Don’t forget to cover your nose if you use oven spray 😉

Elegran Mon 23-Oct-23 11:46:20

Jif (now called Cif, allegedly because furriners couldn't pronounce Jif, but I suspect it was too near Juif, the French for Jew) on steel knitted scrubber pad. If it stubbornly resists, soak in diluted bleach overnight, rinse it off and repeat the process.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Oct-23 13:08:47

I soak mine overnight in hot water and Fairy Liquid and if anything remains scrub lightly with one of those flat green scrubby things. Some of mine date from the 1960s. I have never had to throw one away unless broken - what a waste!

Aldom Mon 23-Oct-23 13:25:54

I suggest a hot soak using a Steradent tablet. Followed by the usual hot soapy water wash.

ExDancer Mon 23-Oct-23 13:34:21

Boil some vinegar, enough to fill the bowl. Pour it into the dish and add 1 or two tablespoonsfull of bicarb of soda (baking soda). It will fizz.
It will also smell. Leave to cool, then scrub with your favourite scouring cream/powder.
Works a treat for burnt pans.

Some brown stains won't come off if they've been burnt on time and again though.

Bella23 Mon 23-Oct-23 13:42:42

Borrow a dishwasher tablet from a friend cover it with boiling water and leave overnight. Scrub with a rough plastic scrubber.

Grannynannywanny Mon 23-Oct-23 14:07:37

Make an apple pie in it and give it to your neighbour. They’ll send it back sparkling 😀

midgey Mon 23-Oct-23 14:37:51

Grannynannywanny I do like your thinking!

kittylester Mon 23-Oct-23 14:55:07

Soak it in Vanish

HelterSkelter1 Mon 23-Oct-23 15:04:03

I cut a Brillo into 2 and use a piece to give the brown marks a good scrub. Never fails.

Primrose53 Mon 23-Oct-23 16:10:31

Most of mine is 46 years old and is used all the time. Always comes up sparkling!

Yesterday I slow cooked a big piece of brisket in mine. It finished up stained dark brown. I just soaked it in warm soapy water after it cooled down then whoever washed up used a stainless steel scrubber on it, rinsed and it’s perfect again.

Ali08 Wed 25-Oct-23 07:31:20

Toothpaste!
Smear toothpaste on and leave it for a little while. Go back to it, add a little water to a scrubbie sponge and scrub away the stains!
Rinse and enjoy the shine.

Ali08 Wed 25-Oct-23 07:32:29

Grannywannynanny
Great idea!

Scapa1 Wed 25-Oct-23 20:57:31

Use a cloth with salt on it and rub hard.

SueDonim Wed 25-Oct-23 22:01:40

Brillo leaves minute scratches in the glass making the item more likely to stain again. It can also leave tiny metal fragments behind which will rust.

Kittylester’s Vanish idea always seems to work for us, used with boiling water and left overnight.

ElaineI Wed 25-Oct-23 22:17:06

Ali08

Grannywannynanny
Great idea!

Oh my word - mind boggles at what that does to teeth grin

ElaineI Wed 25-Oct-23 22:18:12

ElaineI

Ali08

Grannywannynanny
Great idea!

Oh my word - mind boggles at what that does to teeth grin

Sorry was meant for Ali08's idea!

nandad Wed 25-Oct-23 22:23:48

Put it in the fridge overnight then wash as normal.

Doodledog Wed 25-Oct-23 22:41:05

Bella23

Borrow a dishwasher tablet from a friend cover it with boiling water and leave overnight. Scrub with a rough plastic scrubber.

This is what I was going to suggest.

SpringyChicken Wed 25-Oct-23 22:44:21

Astonish oven and cookware cleaner (a paste in a blue tub) is brilliant for this sort of problem. Shops like Poundland sell it.

Theexwife Wed 25-Oct-23 23:29:29

I used to use oven cleaner.

JackyB Thu 26-Oct-23 08:30:16

I am very fussy about this sort of thing but I don't think those brown marks are a problem. They are usually on the edges and will not come into contact with the food you eat. Definitely don't use anything abrasive.

Having said that, I stained TWO Pyrex dishes badly last night. DH was out and I thought I'd just make a handful of popcorn and took a Pyrex dish with a lid and popped it in the microwave but I set it for too long a cooking time and ended up with a black charcoal mess and only by opening all the windows and shutting the doors could I prevent the smoke alarm from going off. The second dish I set at half the time but it was still too long and produced the same results. I did feel silly - I've made Popcorn in the microwave often enough before! Having run out of dishes with fitting lids, I ended up doing it the conventional way, in a saucepan.

I took the dishes and lids, which were black, out into the garden (in the pouring rain) and sprayed them with oven cleaner, leaving them on the table out there all night. I must go out now and see if the rain and the oven cleaner have got any of the burn marks out.

JackyB Thu 26-Oct-23 09:26:29

There's been a lot about Pyrex dishes on the internet recently. If you haven't come across Ann Reardon, you might like to see what she says here. She does a lot of debunking of stories and is a food scientist herself and does experiments in her own home to get to the bottom of some of the myths out there.
youtu.be/YVbkDAw4aJs?si=uXbPjuMFZbgGL8mW

Imarocker Thu 26-Oct-23 09:27:49

I’d just like to share that not everyone worries about gettting Pyrex dishes clean. When I was teaching Home Ec a child brought in a Pyrex dish encrusted with the residue of a meat stew on the outside. She said her mother told her it wasn’t worth washing the night before as she was going to be cooking in it at school!