Gransnet forums

House and home

Smart Meters

(26 Posts)
MrsQuigley Thu 02-Nov-23 13:07:29

A new fuse board was fitted at home recently. The mains electricity was turned off for about four and a half hours. When power was switched back on I noticed that the display screen wasn’t working. Phoned OVO, they suggested switching the IHD on and off again to re set it then wait 24 hours to see if that worked. They also told me I could log in online to get the usage figures. Didn’t work and nothing has been added to my account.

Telephoned OVO again, they ran tests on the smart meter, took them about 25 minutes. Was then told that the meter seemed fine but I need to wait for up to six weeks for the meter to re set itself and that the IHD would then start working again too.

I did question the waiting 6 weeks bit. Has anyone else come across this or am I being take for a complete turnip?

Georgesgran Thu 02-Nov-23 13:11:50

My Smart Meter who lives in the garage, is often less smart, or on a go-slow. I know, however, that it continues to send readings to Octopus and I can look on their App to view my usage - very much increasing during this prolonged rainy spell!

Oldbat1 Thu 02-Nov-23 14:55:45

My ihd stopped working about 2yrs ago. I was told the same. New device never arrived even after chasing numerous times. Im with ovo.

Pittcity Thu 02-Nov-23 16:41:44

My IHD has never been taken out of the box. I use the OVO app to check my usage. As long as the meter is sending in readings and you don't get bills for unexpected amounts I wouldn't worry.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 02-Nov-23 16:57:23

I’m with Ovo as well, I’ve unplugged my smart meter screen, it tells me what I am using and am unable to change, so I don’t bother. If I could reduce my consumption I would, I don’t need a screen to tell me.
But as long as the smart meter is communicating with Ovo it’s all fine.

dragonfly46 Fri 03-Nov-23 08:22:46

When I had new Smart meters fitted by Eon it took about 6 weeks before it all worked properly and they could take readings. The display in the kitchen has a mind of its own so I don't take much notice of it.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 03-Nov-23 09:09:29

None of this makes me think that perhaps we should change our minds and get smart meters!

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 03-Nov-23 09:30:50

We didn’t have a choice, we had an old meter, which, apparently, had to be replaced.

henetha Fri 03-Nov-23 09:32:25

I've resisted so far.

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Nov-23 10:31:38

Our display lives in its box in a cupboard, the smart meter sends readings to Octopus and I can monitor from the App if I choose to.
I’m not keen on an annoying display nudging me!

Blinko Fri 03-Nov-23 10:36:49

We're with Octopus. We have a smart meter so don't need to read our meter and Octopus gets readings automatically. That's the only advantage I've found for a smart meter. As someone has remarked, we use what we use; a smart meter doesn't help reduce bills. I think it's a marketing ploy to say that it will. It just allows energy companies to do away with meter readers.

Calendargirl Fri 03-Nov-23 10:47:14

henetha

I've resisted so far.

And so have I.

As long as I can physically read my own meter and send in the readings online, I have no need to see what I am using.

Get text messages from my supplier saying ‘We will be fitting your smart meter on such-and-such’.

I text back, ‘NO’.

Until the next time…..

BlueBelle Fri 03-Nov-23 10:54:31

Me too
I ve read very little good about them

Kim19 Fri 03-Nov-23 10:59:49

I'm an abstainer too. Managed to resist the bullying so far.

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Nov-23 11:27:06

For me it beats going out in all weathers to read the meters and send the readings in.

tanith Fri 03-Nov-23 11:36:17

I have no problem reading my meters once a month, I don’t want one and see no advantage to me.

humptydumpty Fri 03-Nov-23 11:44:34

I'm with Eon, all their fixed-rate tariffs required you to have a Smart meter.

Charleygirl5 Fri 03-Nov-23 11:47:54

I can no longer read my meters because I am partially sighted and that suits me but I am very aware Octopus would like to charge me more early am and pm because I am using more. I refuse to start the dishwasher and/or washing machine and go to bed around midnight because of the fire and flood risk.

Georgesgran Fri 03-Nov-23 11:53:45

Whilst I do have a smart meter, like most people, it’s easily understood that they don’t save money. The small print says that will require consumer action. I still think in some households where energy is wasted, it’s an eye-opener as to how the bills rack up. I know it cost me £7 extra to tumble dry DD2’s laundry on Tuesday!

PaperMonster Sat 04-Nov-23 10:42:14

I’m thankful for the IHD as it’s twice now alerted me to the fact that there is an issue with electrical items within my house. I can look via the app but with my new supplier, it takes 48 hours before the data is visible on the app.

Shinamae Sat 04-Nov-23 10:46:20

I am with Octopus, l do not want a smart meter, and Octopus have never tried to bully me into having one. Very happy with this company….

Shinamae Sat 04-Nov-23 10:47:53

Like someone else said, I use what I use, and I don’t particularly want to be reminded what it’s costing all the Time..

Georgesgran Sat 04-Nov-23 10:57:09

Shinamae I used to sing Octopus’ praises on here - until they took my monthly payment from my credit balance, instead of from my bank - no reason or notice given! My credit rating has plummeted, due to a ‘missed payment’. I’ve got to add that Octopus immediately supplied a letter to try and get my credit rating back on track. I’m quite grateful that I don’t anticipate needing credit for anything, but it’s a matter of their fault/responsibility. They did add £50 compensation to my credit balance.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 04-Nov-23 15:01:31

When we were put on to OVO by SSE when they gsve up their retail business, we were told that our electricity would all come from renewable sources smile. Now they tell us that if we don’t have a smart meter our electricity will no longer all come from renewable sources angry.

I have a vision of all those little electrons pushing past each other - “I’m renewable, you’re not, so I can go up this wire and you have to go up that one”. It’s more like blackmail than a joke though, and I think it’s contemptible.

karmalady Sat 04-Nov-23 20:17:38

I like having a smart meter. I dithered for a long time but I was fed up of kneeling on soil to read the gas meter. I contacted octopus and they were brilliant, it was a seamless installation. It did take a few weeks to settle, while all the different connections were made across the system

I keep the display on my bookcase, not really in plain sight but it is helpful