Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing machines

(21 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 15-Nov-23 19:49:33

Does anyone have a good basic washer, I don’t want anything fancy just simple and reliable, I only use three programmes plus spin. Also I need it fitted and the other one recycled. Thank you.

NotAGran55 Wed 15-Nov-23 20:10:07

John Lewis own brand here. They install and recycle.

Opal Wed 15-Nov-23 20:17:12

I was just about to say the same NotAGran. I've had a JL machine for about 10 years now, highly recommend.

crazyH Wed 15-Nov-23 20:19:48

I hope you get some good advice here. I have a WM, that has too many programmes, even a tumble drying programme, which I hardly use. Go for a basic one, which does a ‘quick wash’ because our clothes really don’t get that dirty, unless you’ve go a plumber in the household. I imagine their clothes get quite greasy. 😂

Theexwife Wed 15-Nov-23 20:19:49

Argos have a few at about £200 , best to read the reviews to see what you need, they also offer a collection and fitting service.

Patsy70 Wed 15-Nov-23 20:26:57

Very happy with my reasonably basic Bosch, which I’ve had for quite a few years, without any problems. 🤞

rubysong Wed 15-Nov-23 21:51:41

Interesting thread as mine is on the blink and I'm not sure it will mend. We have a local man who can fix most things so I'll get him to look at it but I may end up looking for a replacement.

MiniMoon Wed 15-Nov-23 21:59:20

I bought a LG washing machine in the summer when my Indesit bit the dust. It has a 9kg load capacity. It has programmes that I will probably never use but I can recommend it. It is quite quiet too.

MiniMoon Wed 15-Nov-23 22:02:01

Ought to have said that I bought it at Curry's. They installed it for me and for a small charge they took my old machine away to recycle.

Attlee Wed 15-Nov-23 22:43:58

A year ago, we bought a Beko washing machine from a local business. It has a 14 minute quick wash but the guys who fitted it, said that an eco wash is more economical.
We've had expensive machines in the past, but I have to say, I actually love this one.
The reason I looked at Beko is my son has had one for ten years and it has never gone wrong.

OldFrill Thu 16-Nov-23 04:57:46

I bought a Beko not long ago, BEKO - WTK82011W 8 kg 1200 Spin Washing Machine - White £250ish. From Currys online - £25 delivery, probably another £50ish to plumb in/remove old one, but we did that. Local scrap dealer may take it for free as the drums are resaleable as garden fire grates (well they are up here). I've had Bosch before and can't say it was any better. This one is efficient and fairly quiet.
I also like Indesit as I've found them very reliable and good value for money.
Beko is well regarded and the biggest seller in Europe.

Allsorts Thu 16-Nov-23 05:27:15

Thank you so much for your help and comments. I have looked at the companies mentioned, who knows how I will drain the water off left in the machine though, companies need this done to recycle and connect. I wouldn't mind the drum as a garden grate what a good idea.

LadyGracie Thu 16-Nov-23 07:44:14

Isn't there a little door at the bottom front of your washing machine which opens and allows you to drain the water out?
I recently bought a Samsung 1400 spin speed machine on line, programmes are much shorter but it does an excellent wash.

Georgesgran Thu 16-Nov-23 07:52:25

Another vote for Beko. I’ve had mine 6 years with no issues. That 15 minute wash can also be extended to 30 and 45, whereas the shortest other programme in 59 minutes. There are quite a few programmes to chose from, but I only use 2 and sometimes an extra rinse or double spin. As I do family laundry it’s used the equivalent of daily. It’s efficient and quiet. No complaints.

Marmin Thu 16-Nov-23 07:55:52

Another vote for Bosch. Ours is twelve years old and still going strong.

25Avalon Thu 16-Nov-23 08:26:00

If you buy from Curry’s you can pay for them to install and take away the old machine.

Primrose53 Thu 16-Nov-23 08:36:31

If you go to an independent retailer they will probably drain the water away for you, connect the new one and remove the old one. Unlike the large companies they will not charge you for unpacking, connecting or removing packaging.

They all start with a low price but there are a lot of add ons. It’s also good to support small businesses!

Primrose53 Thu 16-Nov-23 08:37:02

By the way Beko are excellent value for money.

lemsip Thu 16-Nov-23 08:42:53

I have Bush from argos for last 3 years. No problems. I use 15 minute wash and extra spin for small bits and 60 minute mostly which has temperature adjust from 60 through to 30. also can adjust spin speed.

I wouldn't dream of paying more money for a machine that took 2 hours or more to do a wash.

shysal Thu 16-Nov-23 09:48:04

I bought one of these last month. I think Logik may be Curry's own brand. It has more than enough programmes, but each has a default spin speed, mostly lower than the maximum 1400rpm. It is simple to override and change to the max, but I don't think the washing is quite as dry as with my old machine. I have therefore been doing an extra spin only afterward.
I never choose a long wash, usually go for the 1hour20 'mix' setting. Apart from the above I am very pleased with it
Curry's were great, installing and taking way the old one for a small fee.

BlueSapphire Thu 16-Nov-23 09:50:32

I have had my Zanussi for about 15 years, no complaints.