Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone got any ideas for washing handkerchiefs

(111 Posts)
Notagranny44 Tue 25-Aug-26 13:50:08

I've just been filling in a survey on my local council's waste management strategy and it has made me wonder how we can reduce our use of single-use items.
I always seem to have a runny nose and/or phlegmy throat, so use quite a lot of tissues. I would happlily move to using handkerchiefs, but have early unpleasant memories of washing them before my Mum had a washing machine!
Would soaking them before washing in a bucket of salty water or bio wash powder mean that I could just put them in the machine to get them clean.
Any thoughts anyone?

petra Wed 26-Aug-26 18:04:18

Farmor15

Washing at 90 degrees isn't very environmentally friendly! I wash OH's hankies with normal 40 deg wash (use tissues myself but he insists on cotton hankies). Modern detergents deal with snot fine - but I don't use lower than 40 degrees for anything, despite all the ads suggesting washing in cold water.

You’ll never convince some people.
Detergents have come a long way since Daz and OMO.

mokryna Wed 26-Aug-26 18:11:35

Oh the luxury of having freshly ironed handkerchiefs. That means not me washing or ironing them. I have seen older, still, married men of 80+ using them.
Nowadays, I’d soak them as I did nappies to kill the germs and then wash them in the machine with one of the new low temperature soaps.

Oreo Wed 26-Aug-26 18:25:50

It’s the heat that kills bacteria not the brand of washing powder.

Farmor15 Wed 26-Aug-26 18:29:55

It's a combination of heat and chemicals in detergent that kills bacteria and viruses- doesn't have to be 90 deg. (I'm a retired microbiologist).

Farmor15 Wed 26-Aug-26 18:30:51

Ironing will kill anything left after washing.

Cossy Wed 26-Aug-26 18:32:54

Like someone else here I use loo paper and flush it afterwards.

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Aug-26 18:33:13

Sarnia we also had a pan specifically for handkerchiefs.
I confess I don't like boiling them up really and am grateful for tissues.
You do need to buy expensive tissues though if you want them to be soft I find.

I do use a handkerchief for weddings and funerals. They go in with the sheets.

The pan has been used since - but only for melting wax.

Cossy Wed 26-Aug-26 18:34:08

It just strikes me that if you’re using things to soak them then other things to wash them, especially at high temps, how is this eco-friendly?

Oreo Wed 26-Aug-26 18:35:00

All detergents have much the same in them, especially the bio ones but obvs you need heat as well.
It’s best to have a lot of hankies if you use them so you can do several weeks worth in one wash.

Oreo Wed 26-Aug-26 18:36:06

A very hot wash now and then seems to leave the washing machine smelling great.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Aug-26 18:42:06

The thought of washing snxxty hankies makes me feel yukky oh use it and throw it down the loo

Oreo Wed 26-Aug-26 18:44:55

🤢😁

Grandmama Wed 26-Aug-26 19:14:05

I always use proper hankies - a clean, ironed one in left pocket (for emergencies in case a sterile one is needed) and another in right pocket (I'm right handed) that is in use. They go in my 40degree wash - all my washing is on 40 degrees. They come out clean and I iron them.

Nightsky2 Wed 26-Aug-26 19:35:03

Missiseff

My husband uses them every day, I've just been chucking them in the washing machine with the usual washing for the past 20 years

Best way to deal with them. I did it for over 40 years till DH retired. He’s handkerchiefs were always beautifully white. 🤧.

fluttERBY123 Wed 26-Aug-26 19:52:10

midgey

I just lob them in my machine!

Same here.

Redcar Wed 26-Aug-26 20:03:35

I just put them in the washing machine and wash them at 40 with the rest of the washing. I remember being “taught” how to boil hankies in Domestic science at school! We also had a special saucepan at home for boiling hankies!

PaperMonster2 Wed 26-Aug-26 20:24:13

My OH uses hankies. He puts them in a lidded bucket and then I chuck them all in the washing machine on a hot wash. He’s supposed to put disinfectant in the bucket but he rarely does 🙄 I do find ironing them quite satisfying.

win Wed 26-Aug-26 20:29:42

I cannot think of anything more disgusting than a handkerchief, use a` clean tissue or toilet paper and flush it out. You save opn all the powder and electricity I know what I prefer.,

silverlining48 Wed 26-Aug-26 20:33:23

Like Redcar I put them in with the normal wash load.

silverlining48 Wed 26-Aug-26 20:36:34

At school I remember soending a double period of domestic science wash ping and ironing a single handkerchief. What a ridiculous waste of everybody’s time.

V3ra Wed 26-Aug-26 21:43:47

I had to go away for a few days, and on my return, he happily told me that he had done the hankies, but couldn’t find the saucepan, so had done them in a casserole dish in the oven.

kassi I think this is the funniest thing I've ever read on Gransnet, I've just laughed out loud 🤣

mokryna Wed 26-Aug-26 22:19:15

Oreo

It’s the heat that kills bacteria not the brand of washing powder.

Napisan or similar which I used in the 70s does kill germs. I’d soak the nappies in cold water before washing them in an ordinary wash with ordinary washing powder No need for a hot wash or boil.

FranP Wed 26-Aug-26 23:48:57

midgey

I just lob them in my machine!

Me too. They go in with the towels on a hot wash. A spoonful of Napisan works well if they are grubby (DH uses them for everything)

Redhead56 Thu 27-Aug-26 01:12:06

Disgusting things of the past should have been binned years ago. We have a friend who still gets his handkerchief out blows his nose puts it in his pocket. No wonder his wife got rid of him totally yuk.

WithNobsOnIt Thu 27-Aug-26 02:01:15

Tissues may be disposable and not good for the environment. But surely better for hygiene and health.

Remember snotty hankies when l was a child. Yukk.