Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone got any ideas for washing handkerchiefs

(111 Posts)
Notagranny44 Tue 25-Aug-26 13:50:08

I've just been filling in a survey on my local council's waste management strategy and it has made me wonder how we can reduce our use of single-use items.
I always seem to have a runny nose and/or phlegmy throat, so use quite a lot of tissues. I would happlily move to using handkerchiefs, but have early unpleasant memories of washing them before my Mum had a washing machine!
Would soaking them before washing in a bucket of salty water or bio wash powder mean that I could just put them in the machine to get them clean.
Any thoughts anyone?

nanna8 Thu 27-Aug-26 02:57:02

Hot wash on your washing machine and then hang outside to dry ? That’s what I do. The sun is good for killing bacteria.

Sarnia Thu 27-Aug-26 04:20:58

MT62

Sarnia

Back in the 1950's when I helped my Granny with the washing she had an old saucepan which was kept just for boiling handkerchiefs. She added a chunk of Sunlight soap to the water and let it simmer for an hour or two before rinsing.
I'm sure times have changed since those days, Notagranny44 but you have brought back a fond memory of post-war wash days.

Ooh bet it was like porridge 😂

Yes, it was a bit on the gloopy side. grin

Bazza Thu 27-Aug-26 12:02:04

I’d always thought/hoped that they were recyclable. I just don’t like the idea of wrapping up any bodily substance and putting it back in my bag or pocket.

Bazza Thu 27-Aug-26 12:55:44

Of course I meant biodegradable not recyclable!

Menopauselbitch Thu 27-Aug-26 14:30:46

midgey

I just lob them in my machine!

Exactly.

Notagranny44 Sun 30-Aug-26 15:14:47

Well, thanks to everyone for their opinions. On balance, I think I'm going to give up on the idea of hankies - especially as I haven't any at all, and carry on using the tissues!

grandMattie Sun 30-Aug-26 15:25:48

Soak overnight (at least) in salt water. DH’s handkerchiefs were changed daily and very clean.
Alternatively, get very brightly coloured ones!

Momac55 Sun 30-Aug-26 18:25:10

Jesus life is too short to wash snotty hankies just get some bloody tissues

win Sun 30-Aug-26 19:29:41

Momac55

Jesus life is too short to wash snotty hankies just get some bloody tissues

absolute this LOL grin

kittylester Sun 30-Aug-26 20:21:39

Having just had an extreme 'tissue in the washer' incident so my vote is definitely ditch the tissues and use hankies.

MissAdventure Sun 30-Aug-26 21:19:24

We always had a pristine hanky up our sleeve, but we were under strict orders never to blow our noses on them.

crazyH Sun 30-Aug-26 21:34:44

kittylester - I’ve had one or those - in a dark wash 😩

Floradora9 Sun 30-Aug-26 21:43:45

I always use a washing machine antibacterial laundry sanitiser in all washes that contain bedding towels underwear etc.. I buy it in Lidl and it is not expensive and I never wash above 40 %

kittylester Sun 30-Aug-26 22:19:17

crazyH

kittylester - I’ve had one or those - in a dark wash 😩

Naturally! angry This was too. Worst thing about it was i think I was the culprit blush

Dizzyribs Sun 30-Aug-26 22:25:18

I soak all our hankies in Napisan - it’s the powder that we used to use to sterilise terry nappies ‘back in the day’. It’s ok for soaking coloured fabric (unlike Milton which bleaches). I then drain it and pop them into a standard wash at a lower temperature. I often soak undies in Napisan, dishcloths. all the face masks went in during Covid, in fact I soak anything I think might have nasty bacteria. (Different soaking buckets depending on the item obviously). I tend to use a small container that was originally a food waste bucket kept in the bathroom. You can make a bucket full and just add hankies as you use them.
I think you can add the powder to the standard wash for the same results.

Luckygirl3 Mon 31-Aug-26 08:19:36

I remember someone interviewing a scientist on radio and he was asked what was tge best invention of the 20th century and he said paper tissues, both for the concrnience and their hygiene value.

Enid101 Mon 31-Aug-26 09:30:40

grannyjan2

I read of a machine cleaning regime somewhere, involving soda crystals on a 90º wash cycle. So I do this every 3 months or so and put the hankies, as they are, in for that cycle.
2 jobs in one.
I needed to have enough hankies to see me through that long.

Where do you keep your three month stash of snotty hankies?

aggie Mon 31-Aug-26 09:38:30

Three months of snot !!
What a way to have bacteria , viruses or just plain dirt on supply !
Doesn’t it smell ?
Please go buy tissues

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 09:41:00

grin
That is "sort of" what I was thinking, bit was too cowardly to say.

spabbygirl Mon 31-Aug-26 19:32:03

I just chuck them in with the washing, I've never had a problem

KathrynP Tue 01-Sept-26 15:55:39

When my numerous white men's handkerchiefs get grubby and off white I put them in my BREAD BIN! Shock horror!

To be clear , I have a round white Judge bread bin with metal lid that measures approx 14" across. It is about 16" high and also doubles as a large quality saucepan. Ideal for pasta/potatoes/rice if cooking for the 5000!
I put them in with boiling water a small quantity of bleach, washing powder and if really dirty a GloWhite sachet. They are all good 100% cotton and they come out gleaming.

Graceless Tue 01-Sept-26 16:05:50

Boiling cotton handkerchiefs is the only thing I remember from school domestic science lessons! I wish I could do it now but the pan is too heavy for me to lift.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Sept-26 16:30:41

Every time I read this title I feel ick

greyfur16 Tue 01-Sept-26 16:50:33

I just use a paper serviette from a coffee shop.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 01-Sept-26 17:26:31

greyfur16

I just use a paper serviette from a coffee shop.

Yes, that's what I said last week that I do, greyfur16. It doesn't seem sensible to waste them, as they will just be thrown away in the kitchen, even if you haven't used them. Restaurants sometimes have thicker or bigger paper ones, and they are good if you have a cold!