Gransnet forums

House and home

Anyone got any ideas for washing handkerchiefs

(111 Posts)
Notagranny44 Tue 25-Aug-26 13:50:08

I've just been filling in a survey on my local council's waste management strategy and it has made me wonder how we can reduce our use of single-use items.
I always seem to have a runny nose and/or phlegmy throat, so use quite a lot of tissues. I would happlily move to using handkerchiefs, but have early unpleasant memories of washing them before my Mum had a washing machine!
Would soaking them before washing in a bucket of salty water or bio wash powder mean that I could just put them in the machine to get them clean.
Any thoughts anyone?

greyfur16 Tue 01-Sept-26 17:31:47

Cool! Not just me then.

Stansgran Tue 01-Sept-26 17:58:54

DH has a proper handkerchief clean and ironed every day. I do a month at a time . Wednesday is designated ironing day this week. I think paper napkins with snot in the recycling is disgusting for the people who have to go through it and flushing them down the toilet when we’ve been told only to flush toilet paper is a bit selfish. I do a hot wash and keep the old very soft ones for when people have bad colds and sore noses. Everyone’s idea of hygiene seems to be different.

greyfur16 Tue 01-Sept-26 19:35:11

Nobody is "going through" recycling.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Sept-26 09:07:15

kittylester I am always the culprit!

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Sept-26 09:11:55

BlueBelle

Every time I read this title I feel ick

Stop reading it! grin

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Sept-26 09:30:04

Stansgran don't put tissues in the recycling (unless your council puts "food waste" in with paper products)?
Surely nobody seriously does this?
In the black bin I think.

Tissues are made from heavily processed, low-grade paper with fibers that are too short to be recycled into new paper products... also, to maintain wet tensile strength they are treated with synthetic resins.
Just looked this ip and usually it's
Polyamidoamine-Epichlorohydrin (PAE) or Polyacrylamide (PAM).
(!)

You need genuine cotton or bamboo tissues if you want to avoid this by the way - but obviously check with the manufacturer.

Ordinary commercial tissues (even with their PAE or PAM) will break down in your compost apparently.

You shouldn't be flushing them as they don't degrade quickly enough for water processing and behave more like "wet wipes".
That's why they work better than toilet roll for nose blowing.

Oreo Wed 02-Sept-26 09:33:50

What NotSpaghetti says.

Oreo Wed 02-Sept-26 09:34:50

I can’t believe this topic has generated so many replies🤔

silverlining48 Fri 04-Sept-26 10:58:56

Me neither, not sure if earlier on I mentioned my domestic science ( science?) double period ie 55 minutes, we had to wash and iron a single handkerchief.
Laughable but at the time it was apparently vitally important for us to learn.

watermeadow Fri 04-Sept-26 20:04:30

My mother boiled all the used handkerchiefs once a week in a huge old saucepan. We called it Hanky Stew!
I use real hankies, not tissues, and wash them with everything else at 30 degrees. I used to iron them but can’t be bothered any more.