Gransnet forums

House and home

Cats using garden as a toilet

(45 Posts)
Ziplok Tue 25-Aug-26 15:53:31

My friend has a large area of pebbled patio and a local cat has decided to use part of it as a toilet. Does anyone have any remedies to deter the cat from continuing to use it as a toilet?
I suggested putting pepper down on the area, and I have seen suggestions to bury a piece of chicken wire beneath the area it uses and to spray vinegar to deter it once the area has been disinfected to get rid of the original cat pheromone smell. Has anyone tried these remedies and been successful, or has another suggestion?
Aiming a spray of water at the cat might help, but of course my friend needs to see the cat in action to try that method, but I think it comes through the night.
Thanks in anticipation.

Nell82 Tue 25-Aug-26 16:11:37

The cats who use our garden seem to prefer soft areas where they can scrape soil over their deposits. I wonder if it could be fox poo, or maybe hedgehog?

When cats were regularly using an area under our lounge window I put down some thorny pyracantha branches and that stopped them.

Ziplok Tue 25-Aug-26 16:16:47

No, it is a cat. My friend has seen it, but at that time didn’t have a water pistol. She may well get one though, to have ready, just in case it returns during the day. However, I was wondering if there were other strategies to try without harming the cat.

Ziplok Tue 25-Aug-26 16:18:16

Thorny branches of some kind might be worth a try, Nell82 if she can get hold of any from someone.

Magenta8 Tue 25-Aug-26 16:25:26

Plectracanthus caninus, Lavender, Rosemary, Curry Plant, Rue.
Lion Faeces (buy as dried faeces in bags) Orange Peel.

I don't know if any of the above work but they are all recommended.

AGAA4 Tue 25-Aug-26 16:28:26

We had a cat visitor that used the middle of our lawn as a toilet.
Only stopped when my DH threw water over it. Didn't see it again.

Fairislecable Tue 25-Aug-26 16:53:41

We had a neighbours cat that kept visiting our garden, it would not be deterred until my DH used the spot as a urinal for a few days. It worked and even after I hosed down the border ( I didn’t like the smell either) the cat did not return.

J52 Tue 25-Aug-26 16:55:35

I have had success with a mixture of spent coffee grounds mixed with a teaspoon of Vicks ( the cheaper Superdrug version) vapour rub and citrus fruit peel. Once spread we humans don’t smell it, but the cat does and is deterred.

Ziplok Tue 25-Aug-26 17:33:03

Lots of ideas here, thank you. I will pass them on.

Janet1946 Wed 26-Aug-26 13:45:24

Install a motion-detector water spray, worked a treat in our garden.

Essexgirl145 Wed 26-Aug-26 14:28:26

We used curry powder with great success, they can't satnd the smell of it.

Onetoein Wed 26-Aug-26 14:36:34

Hiya! When we moved into our present house,the previous owner use to feed 7 stary cats! 1. Used tea bag laced with tcp or obas oil. 2. Rosemary sprigs. 3 pet scarer. Place the laced tea bags & sprigs where they settle. And although they pet scarer does not stop them coming into the garden they move on. All cause them no harm. And it worked for me!

Frenchgalinspain Wed 26-Aug-26 14:44:47

I would enquire at the nearest Pet Supply Retailer and / the nearest Veternarian ..

We live in a flat, so:
Our French bull dog and our 2 Birman do not have lawns to do toilet business !! Our 2 Birman are litter box trained so the only one taken outdoors twice a day is Eduardo, our French Bulldog.

We POOP SCOOP his number 2 stool .. There are NO lawns where we are located in THE MADRID CAPITAL.

karmalady Wed 26-Aug-26 14:50:41

Toothpicks stuck into the ground

EkwaNimitee Wed 26-Aug-26 14:58:10

I have also been very successful with curry powder

Witzend Wed 26-Aug-26 15:03:41

Nell82

The cats who use our garden seem to prefer soft areas where they can scrape soil over their deposits. I wonder if it could be fox poo, or maybe hedgehog?

When cats were regularly using an area under our lounge window I put down some thorny pyracantha branches and that stopped them.

My mother had a visiting cat that used to lurk under a shrub in her small patio garden, waiting to pounce on the birds she liked to feed.

Some really prickly branches under that shrub - plenty of them - certainly worked! We’d tried the water blaster, but it was very (literally) hit and miss.

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Aug-26 15:08:03

We had years of problems with a cat.
Tried everything but it was determined.

Nothing now for 3 months! Hooray!
Has it moved?
Is is dead?

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Aug-26 15:11:28

It ignored the sonic, dodged the water, obviously didn't have much of a sense of smell... when we used spikey branches and kebab skewers on that part of the garden it either pushed a path between them or used the ornamental plants in pots as its personal loo. There was barely room for the plants!

Bluesmum Wed 26-Aug-26 15:12:20

There is a very effective deterrent called “get off my garden” yes, really, you can buy in most pet stores and in the pet section of most supermarkets. It is a highly citrus scented jelly-like substance that you scatter where ever you want to deter the invader- works with cats, foxes and all type of creatures , long lasting, totally harmless and very pleasant. Incidentally, according to my vet, putting disinfectant on an area used by a cat only makes the area more attractive to the cat!

Silvertwigs Wed 26-Aug-26 16:19:12

Well pepper will definitely harm the cat 🥲 try the battery operated sonic deterrents

Diplomat Wed 26-Aug-26 17:09:25

Yes the battery operated sonic deterrent worked for us. Also a hose when they are spotted. This problem infuriates me, I can't stand cats.

Gwyllt Wed 26-Aug-26 17:13:05

Cats peeing or whatever in the garden is one thing
Anyone got any solution for husband peeing wherever he fancies by the carport on his way out behind the shed. In the stables where there is a toilet close by so no need to take shoes off. Wouldn’t mind but cottage visitors use washing machines in wash shed in stables

Iam64 Wed 26-Aug-26 17:18:29

I’m a dog person and that deters cats. I honestly can’t imagine being so irritated I’d throw water on a cat 😻😻. I rather like their independence and need to hunt and wander - if ever I wasn’t fit enough to have dogs I’ve always liked Maine Coon Cats, huge beauties, bigger than my spaniel. Have a happy day all 🌞

Peaseblossom Wed 26-Aug-26 17:29:32

Iam64 I love cats and have two beautiful long haired rescue cats, brother and sister, tabby and white and ginger and white and have had them since February. I love dogs too, but am more of a cat person. They are 15 months now. They poo in my garden and it's horrible, but what can you do?! They have to go somewhere. A lot of the so-called remedies don't work, like the plant someone mentioned, and the lion poo. Also the sonic thingy, I've heard that cats sit next to them. Also some people can hear them, especially children, so not always possible to use them. Maine Coon cats are beautiful, I expect they have to be house cats as they would probably get stolen. I bet they cost a fortune.

Peaseblossom Wed 26-Aug-26 17:30:52

Gwyllt He's obviously not house trained.