Gransnet forums

House and home

Cats using garden as a toilet

(46 Posts)
Ziplok Tue 25-Aug-26 15:53:31

My friend has a large area of pebbled patio and a local cat has decided to use part of it as a toilet. Does anyone have any remedies to deter the cat from continuing to use it as a toilet?
I suggested putting pepper down on the area, and I have seen suggestions to bury a piece of chicken wire beneath the area it uses and to spray vinegar to deter it once the area has been disinfected to get rid of the original cat pheromone smell. Has anyone tried these remedies and been successful, or has another suggestion?
Aiming a spray of water at the cat might help, but of course my friend needs to see the cat in action to try that method, but I think it comes through the night.
Thanks in anticipation.

Peaseblossom Wed 26-Aug-26 17:36:51

EssexGirl I don't think I could stand the smell of a garden reeking of curry powder either.

ClicketyClick Wed 26-Aug-26 17:41:55

:13Gwyllt

Cats peeing or whatever in the garden is one thing
Anyone got any solution for husband peeing wherever he fancies by the carport on his way out behind the shed. In the stables where there is a toilet close by so no need to take shoes off. Wouldn’t mind but cottage visitors use washing machines in wash shed in stables.

Afraid not but consider yourself lucky. Mine does it in the shed which now stinks like a public lav. Goodness knows why. It's not as if it's a long traipse to the house. Absolutely infuriating. I'm now thinking of locking the shed and throwing the key away - preferably while he's I side doing one.

ClicketyClick Wed 26-Aug-26 17:42:50

Ziplock - I've used a hose pipe with success.

Gwyllt Wed 26-Aug-26 17:57:27

Peaseblossom obviously not but I have tried for a long time. I am wondering if the bucket of water technique would work. Trouble is I only see him at a distance. Or the wet patch.

Iam64 Wed 26-Aug-26 19:04:50

Yes that’s my fear, that my fantasy Maine Coon would be a house cat, or I’d get some kind of net over my back garden 🤣

I let my dogs out at about 7 am, both immediately toilet, I water the lawn in an attempt to prevent burn patches. I pick up excrement in degradable bags which go in the bin. If my dogs toilet on walks, that’s picked up as well. I suppose that’s the big complaint from others. That cats wander abd select their own toilets, in places they weren’t invited to

Labradora Wed 26-Aug-26 20:34:52

Iam64

I’m a dog person and that deters cats. I honestly can’t imagine being so irritated I’d throw water on a cat 😻😻. I rather like their independence and need to hunt and wander - if ever I wasn’t fit enough to have dogs I’ve always liked Maine Coon Cats, huge beauties, bigger than my spaniel. Have a happy day all 🌞

I can't imagine being so irritated that I'd throw water on a cat although the little blighters poo in my garden because I have no dog at present.
There are lots of benign ways to discourage cats aren't there and several have been posted here.

FranP Wed 26-Aug-26 23:58:27

J52

I have had success with a mixture of spent coffee grounds mixed with a teaspoon of Vicks ( the cheaper Superdrug version) vapour rub and citrus fruit peel. Once spread we humans don’t smell it, but the cat does and is deterred.

We find that the cats stay away for a week or 2 when DS dog has been in the garden.

nanna8 Thu 27-Aug-26 02:55:15

You would love it here because cats aren’t supposed to be out at all except in an owner’s garden ( someone tell me how to keep a cat enclosed. Ours can climb more or less anything) . We have very zealous and unpleasant local councils.

NotSpaghetti Thu 27-Aug-26 08:44:43

nanna the house we live in now once had netting all around the back garden. It was the plastic covered wire type. It was fixed on tall stakes with the top edge angled inwards for about a foot or so. The previous family had cats and one of them was a climber.

I have no idea how well it worked.

ViceVersa Thu 27-Aug-26 08:55:31

I brought the bin in yesterday to find cat poo lying on the slabs at the corner of the house. Suffice to say, it was duly 'wheeched' back over next door's wall from when said cat came. Their cat - their problem. And I have nothing against cats in general. They usually give our garden a wide berth though because they know they'll get chased out by our Lab.

Kitty55 Thu 27-Aug-26 10:36:55

Spray him with a hose!

NotSpaghetti Thu 27-Aug-26 10:54:58

ViceVersa - even if I knew it was their cat I don't think I would do that.
You had the bin after all.
I'd wheech it in there.

ViceVersa Thu 27-Aug-26 11:23:24

NotSpaghetti

ViceVersa - even if I knew it was their cat I don't think I would do that.
You had the bin after all.
I'd wheech it in there.

It wasn't that type of bin, NotSpaghetti, it was the cardboard recycling one which had just been emptied. And sorry, but I'm not putting someone else's cat poo in my clean bin anyway.

B9exchange Thu 27-Aug-26 14:09:03

We have just had to cat proof our garden as our two house cats were having a nervous
breakdown, pacing, screaming and spraying everywhere, brought on by neighbour's cats coming into the garden. Chicken wire on inward leaning brackets on top of the fence has worked, the climber cat reaches the top of the fence, is unable to get over the chicken wire and drops back, to his disgust. You could try putting that along the separating fence?

PaperMonster2 Fri 28-Aug-26 10:44:21

We always have cats. In our last house there was a visiting cat who used to toilet on the stones at the front of the house, OH poured his urine over the stones and the cat never returned.

StoneofDestiny Fri 28-Aug-26 22:17:46

nanna8
very curious to know which council that is!

grannysyb Fri 28-Aug-26 22:55:49

Second anything that smells of citrus, cats hate it! Try citronella oil and water in a pump action water pistol. Incidentally I once had a lovely ginger cat who hated dogs from being a kitten, happily chased dogs including Alsatians and Afghans!

yogagran Sun 30-Aug-26 15:36:18

I've had reasonable success with scattering coffee grounds over the area

Mandymoo456 Sun 30-Aug-26 18:14:21

I would like to chuck water over you when your pooing
You nasty sods

JenniferEccles Sun 30-Aug-26 19:16:43

Other people’s animals are such a nuisance aren’t they?
Cats mess in neighbour’s gardens and dogs bark.

My worst experience with a cat is when, many years ago I found one on my baby’s pram, despite there being a cat net on it.
I was furious, and obviously really scared about what could have happened to my baby, as anyone would be.

Suffice to say it never came back.
I’d better not say any more especially after a recent post!