Gransnet forums

House and home

Wedding presents still in use

(46 Posts)
NanaCorinne Sat 29-Aug-26 11:53:44

Yesterday the bread bin that we were given as a wedding present broke. It must be 51 years old and it made me wonder how many other people’s wedding presents are still in daily use. I can think of at least four household items that I use regularly. Anyone else?

Oldnproud Sat 29-Aug-26 18:38:00

My ironing board is still going strong.
It's only in the last couple of years that a kitchen swing-bin received as a wedding present was finally replaced.

I can't think of anything else.

But I do have small table with a lift-up top that was made and given to my parents when they married, and a few things from my grandma's house that might possibly have been given to her and my grandad when they married.
Those things mean a lot to me.

valdali Sat 29-Aug-26 19:53:20

A le Creuset casserole; serving dishes & a big salad bowl; my sideboard still used after 40 years.
Duvet covers, a rug and tablecloths have all worn out or moved on though.

Romola Sat 29-Aug-26 20:13:12

We had, and I still have, a large pottery bowl with our names and the date of our wedding in 1965. It was made by the wife of an uncle who was a professional potter. They were much loved and I treasure their bowl.

Tenko Sat 29-Aug-26 20:43:42

This is an interesting post and shows the difference in generations . I was 29 when I met my dh and we both had a property and had most of the things we needed . Infact we doubled up on lots of things .. We had a wedding list at John Lewis and struggled to find stuff to put on it .

ViceVersa Sat 29-Aug-26 20:52:32

Romola

We had, and I still have, a large pottery bowl with our names and the date of our wedding in 1965. It was made by the wife of an uncle who was a professional potter. They were much loved and I treasure their bowl.

That's a lovely keepsake to have - so personal.

J52 Sat 29-Aug-26 23:31:18

Thank you Witzend; I’ll probably just stick with the new one. I assume it will last the same 52 years 😂. I just can’t say goodbye to the old one!

JamesandJon33 Sun 30-Aug-26 03:09:17

We have a set of stainless steel mixing bowls. Nearly 63 years old and still in constant use.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 30-Aug-26 06:01:55

I have a breadboard and the sharpest of sharp serrated bread knife from my parents' wedding presents in 1940. Used daily. Plus their green enamel bread tin.

From our wedding a Moulinex liquidiser used daily for the last 2 years to make banana milkshakes, an orange Le Creuset casserole, Dartington glasses, only 2 left of Whitefriars sundae dishes, brown Wedgewood Sterling soup dishes and plates, a Habitat decanter, a Dartington decanter. These last 2 not used but nice to look at. Who does use a decanter these days I wonder? And a Le Creuset fondue set used a lot in the 70s but not for years and years now. I remember a wooden fruit bowl not in use now...but where is it? I could use it now. I shall have a search.

luluaugust Sun 30-Aug-26 07:33:06

We have our cutlery set, stainless steel from 59 years ago, also a Pyrex bowl and a tray given by a great aunt.

AGAA4 Sun 30-Aug-26 10:56:25

I still have some cut glass fruit bowls that an aunt gave us nearly 60 years ago. The large bowl that went with it I lent to someone who broke it.

Aldom Sun 30-Aug-26 12:02:03

This stainless steel serving dish. Stainless steel was very popular in the early sixties.
The large fork belonged to my granny and then my mother. It was used in the old days for beating the Yorkshire pudding batter. I still use it for cooking.
The knife used to have a green handle and was a gift to my mum from my father. It's for slicing tomatoes. Very much a modern item in its day. I still use the knife, but for piercing potatoes and veg to test if they are done. smile

Aldom Sun 30-Aug-26 12:04:56

Sorry! My post only makes sense if I remember to add the photo!! grin

Carenza123 Mon 31-Aug-26 06:41:50

I still use my electric carving knife. Can’t slice meat and bread by hand very well. Wed in 1970. Still have a stainless steel percolator and a lovely stainless steel teapot and matching water jug we got as weddings presents. Married 56 years.

argymargy Mon 31-Aug-26 06:55:41

Like Chocolatelovinggran wedding china - still used daily 35 years on and 10 years post-divorce…

Aldom Mon 31-Aug-26 10:08:03

I'd forgotten about my Prestige hand whisk. That was a wedding present too. I don't use it, but I would never part with it. Beautifully made and still in excellent condition from 1964.

pen50 Mon 31-Aug-26 14:13:38

Portmeirion Pomona china - added to and replaced over the years but still used everyday. I find it very cheering.

pen50 Mon 31-Aug-26 14:15:41

My son now has a set of four kitchen chairs, and a plaster bust of Gladstone, that were wedding presents to my parents in 1952.

4allweknow Mon 31-Aug-26 15:07:25

60 years old in December. Oneuda cutlery set including dessert forks and spoons. Wooden bread board, rolling pin, pyrex bowl set, 1 small stainless steel pan, some Worcester mugs.
Not wedding presents but used fo.
r 40 years Denby dinner service (8 place setting) tea service and mugs.
Had a clear out about a year ago with a lot of 60s dinner, coffee sets taken to charity shop as they just were not used or even likely to be used.

BlueSapphire Mon 31-Aug-26 15:26:26

From 54 years ago, a few things such as Pyrex casseroles and a set of utensils, ladles, carving set, that sort of thing. Of our original dinner service I think there are just 2 dinner plates and 5 soup bowls left! DH's aunt bought us a dinner service too, most of which is now with DD as she loves it.

Before we were married DH and I fell in love with a beautiful set of expensive Norwegian stainless steel cutlery; we bought the entire range gradually, box by box as we couldn't afford the whole lot all at once.
It has been used almost daily since 1972 and still looks brand new - it was a good investment!

BlueSapphire Mon 31-Aug-26 15:37:03

Forgot that I still have two sets of cut glass fruit bowls also wedding presents. Plus a whole Chinese dinner set and chopsticks from when we lived in Singapore 1970ish.
Still using a Pyrex glass measuring jug from around the same time, also a wooden rolling pin, and have only just retired my Philips electric mixer, bought in 1969.
And my late DM's huge yellow mixing bowl comes out every year to mix the Christmas puddings!