Gransnet forums

House and home

Robo vacuum

(38 Posts)
Elless Sun 30-Aug-26 11:39:03

My son has just purchased one of these (not an expensive one) and I am amazed how well it works. I checked back on GN and there are a few old threads about different models but wanted an up to date account. What brands do you recommend?

Pittcity Sun 30-Aug-26 12:19:26

We have Eufy.
Highly recommend this brand for the excellent customer service.

LadyGracie Sun 30-Aug-26 12:34:53

I have a Roomba that vacuums and washes floors, it doesn’t do a good job of washing floors at all and the vacuuming is good but not perfect.
I previously had a cheap basic Roomba it did an amazing job of vacuuming.

25Avalon Sun 30-Aug-26 14:20:21

My sil bought one on offer from Amazon. It seems to do quite well.

Barleysugar Sun 30-Aug-26 14:36:22

I have a Beko. It's ok for in between 'proper ' hoovering.

Retread Sun 30-Aug-26 14:38:14

I absolutely love the Shark robot vacuum cleaner my daughter bought for me recently. I can't imagine how I managed without it. My best is that I press the Vacuum button on the app and swan out the door, and when my phone tinkles it is to tell me *he's safely back in his dock. And I'm (for example) sitting on the bus! *It's a he, you can name them on the app, mine is called Dustin.

Notagranny44 Sun 30-Aug-26 15:26:51

I love mine - I've an upstairs one and a downstairs one. One of them mops as well as vacuuming, but leaves the floors far too wet and I wouldn't bother with another that "mops".
They both vacuum pretty well though but of course they can't really do the corners. However that really doesn't bother me!
One's an Eufy and one an Ultenic.

Elless Sun 30-Aug-26 16:14:39

I'm spoilt for choice there's so many. Thanks everyone!

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Aug-26 01:27:24

Have a look at Vacuum Wars they have lots of reviews.

vacuumwars.com/vacuum-wars-best-robot-vacuums/

I found it really helpful.

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Aug-26 01:29:39

There is one that mops that you plumb in so it can get clean water and empty.
That sounds good to me.

But I only use ours to vacuum. Didn't look at the mopping.

My daughter has a mop on hers and likes it.
I think there's a lot of variation.

karmalady Mon 31-Aug-26 05:24:53

I have two roombas, since 2013, replaced the batteries and brushes etc, parts easily available. They are still going strong and are very efficient and do a very good job on my floors.

I used to have a roomba that washed the floor but it was a potch to clean so I got rid of it, it was quicker to use a mop with a micro cloth

Some of my furniture is close to the floor so I need to move those and use my normal vac cleaner to do the bottoming from time to time, under the bed, under the chests of drawers etc.

I would not be without roomba, I can see them going on forever, I only need to clean them after every few sessions, and both live out of sight

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Aug-26 07:55:28

Mine are Eufy ones. I forgot to say.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 09:48:18

I've had two.
The previous one was a budget one, and still did the job. (About £70)

The one I have now was an absolute steal from ebay, and is more sophisticated, hence I can't use all the things.
It connects to the internet, can be "mapped" (apparently) and has a mop, too.

It was listed as "used", but came in pristine condition, and I paid £33 for it.
It says Larasar, so I presume that's the make.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 31-Aug-26 11:08:31

If it comes up against a sofa or similar does it turn around. What about under a table with chairs around it.? Does it have to learn the lay out of the rooms in some way?

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 11:12:08

They have buffers on them, so they bump a few times (gently) against a sofa, and gradually change direction.
The brushes are spinning all the time, so with every bump, they're sweeping up just under the edge of the sofa.

Jane43 Mon 31-Aug-26 11:17:32

Notagranny44

I love mine - I've an upstairs one and a downstairs one. One of them mops as well as vacuuming, but leaves the floors far too wet and I wouldn't bother with another that "mops".
They both vacuum pretty well though but of course they can't really do the corners. However that really doesn't bother me!
One's an Eufy and one an Ultenic.

Downstairs we have tiles in the kitchen, cloakroom and hall, laminate in the dining room and carpet in the lounge. Does it adapt to cope with hard floors and carpet or would we have to close the door into the lounge? They sound very tempting as we get older but I am completely in the dark as to how they function.

Tenko Mon 31-Aug-26 11:21:37

We have a Neato one , which is great but u have to empty the dust bin before every use as we have a dog . It does get stuck under some furniture, but the app lets you know . Having a dog it’s great for daily use but for a deep clean my GTech hoover is better .

henetha Mon 31-Aug-26 11:52:42

Mine is a Eufy and she's wonderful. The best household item ever. I call her Rosie the Robot. She has an app and will do the whole house or just one room. I find her fascinating to watch.

karmalady Mon 31-Aug-26 12:13:17

This is mine, Roomba 800 and yes it will clean hard floor and carpets. You can leave chairs etc in situ, the only things I must lift are wires and I loop them out of reach

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6whsU9m3M&t=4s

No other bells and whistles with mine, if I want it to clean two rooms then I leave the door propped open, personally I would look on ebay and look up the price of a new battery and a sweeping kit (amazon) you could get a real bargain simply by changing those components for replacements

Aveline Mon 31-Aug-26 12:28:40

We have carpets and also Persian rugs on them in places. Would that be asking too much of a robot cleaner?

Ilovedogs22 Mon 31-Aug-26 13:04:06

I think if I dared to buy one of these chaps & bring it into my home it would lay on it's side and have big cry! What with a hairy mutt & a snacky, crumb-making husband!

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 13:56:04

Aveline

We have carpets and also Persian rugs on them in places. Would that be asking too much of a robot cleaner?

Mine does.
It changes how it sweeps according to the surface.
If you've tassels on the rugs, they could get caught up in the brushes, though.

Aveline Mon 31-Aug-26 15:35:30

Thanks. That's what would worry me. All the rugs have fringes. We also have a very long haired cat.

srn63 Mon 31-Aug-26 17:41:22

I have a Dreame x50 ultra, washes and vacuums or either washes or vacuums. The best piece of kit I have bought. My floors are gleaming.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 18:08:01

Mine cane with magnetic (?) strips, which you can put down on the floor, and the vac won't cross the strip, so you could put them down so it avoids tassels.

The problem is, how convenient is it if you have to modify the room and shift lots of stuff around before you can happily leave it to get on with things?