Gransnet forums

House and home

new kitchen, white sinks

(39 Posts)
sandye Mon 31-Aug-26 15:46:28

Moving shortly to a park home and it needs a new kitchem. The kitchen planner has put a white sink on the plans and it looks lovely. Would just like some feed back please by anyone that has one, do they stain easy and are they easy to clean, Thank you in advance.

Gwyllt Tue 01-Sept-26 16:44:50

I worry about chucking in bleach and dishwasher tabs then very hot water. What it is doing to the surface on the long term. I had a speckled cream one long time ago and hated it looked disgusting when we moved and yes I used bleach to make the best I could

MT62 Tue 01-Sept-26 16:46:20

I don’t like stainless steel. Especially the cheap tinny ones.
Read about a woman that was stood on hers cleaning her window & went straight through it, so it makes me cringe to think about that.
But I would not recommend a white porcelain sink if you have a family. If I was to throw a metal fork into my sink it would mark it.
No I am afraid there is only me that goes near it for that reason, apart from hubby cleaning his fence brush.

MT62 Tue 01-Sept-26 16:53:09

Good tip though if buying a composite sink (I think we have the franke Kubus) in a coffee colour, is to go for the one with out the half bowl.
I can soak the whole grill tray in the sink now.
Usually in soda crystals which has never affected the colour.

Musky17 Tue 01-Sept-26 17:51:01

I live in a very hard water area. Stainless steel always showed marks. Recently replaced with a white Blanco Silgranite 1.5 bowl sink. It does stain quite easily but Cif cream does a good cleaning job. The manufacturer recommended hot water and a dishwasher pod soak and this works very well.

ordinarygirl Tue 01-Sept-26 18:33:50

I have a white sink . It is not ceramic. You can sometimes use bleach if it stails badly but generally Barkeepers Friend or Astonish cream will clean it well.

GrammaH Tue 01-Sept-26 19:30:46

We've got an ancient Belfast sink in our utility room and it's fine, copes with all sorts with minimum maintenance. We have a black kitchen sink which sounds weird but it's on a very sunny position & a white one and then a stainless steel one we had afterwards started DH's migraines when the sun caught them! The black is surprisingly easy to look after & no sun issues!

valdali Tue 01-Sept-26 21:34:19

I have a white composite kitchen sink,just over 12 months old - I thought it might be difficult to keep clean but being white, I could always bleach it.
In fact, it doesn't seem to stain at all although I have a stainless steel one round the corner in the kitchen, & that's the one used for painting, emptying teapots & DH washing oil off his hands.
I use a kitchen bleach spray occasionally, never had to soak, scour or rub marks out (yet).

BluebellGran Tue 01-Sept-26 23:15:46

I have a black composite sink which looks very stylish but because we live in an area with hard water the limescale spoils it leaving the drainer looking cloudy, even though I regularly use a limescale remover spray. We previously lived in Wales with wonderfully soft water and never had a problem there with the black sink.
Just a warning if you fancy a black sink but live in a hard water area!

ufix1 Wed 02-Sept-26 08:41:44

I had a white composite sink installed and wish I had had grey instead. It marks and stains but I've just had to 'man up or woman up' with bleach and water once a week or those white eraser blocks are vg plus pink stuff in a big tub is good too.

Shel1951 Mon 07-Sept-26 08:18:28

I am putting one in my new kitchen to be, I had one before from IKEA and put a grid in the bottom to stop people dropping heavy pots in and chipping it, it was a double and I loved it,also stopped bits of food sticking to it and staining it, sometimes things could be left in the sink by the then kids till evening time with me out working, its choice I don't expect it to look brand new forever ,but if you don't have masses of people using the sink ,just you it should be ok

Jane43 Mon 07-Sept-26 08:22:03

MT62

We have a white ceramic in the kitchen & composite in the utility.
Told my husband to wash his paint brushes in the kitchen sink as it’s easier for me to clean.
I do use bleach but rinse off straight away because I have a chrome plug hole & overflow.
If it’s a white composite sink dilute your bleach & rinse straight away.
Ciff did a cleaner with bleach but I haven’t seen it for sometime in the shops.

Flash do a kitchen cleaner with bleach.

Norah Mon 07-Sept-26 14:14:43

sandye

Moving shortly to a park home and it needs a new kitchem. The kitchen planner has put a white sink on the plans and it looks lovely. Would just like some feed back please by anyone that has one, do they stain easy and are they easy to clean, Thank you in advance.

If given a choice, I'd choose stainless.

Zero effort to keep clean. Doesn't stain.

Are you allowed to choose?

M0nica Mon 07-Sept-26 14:26:38

Give me a nice white ceramic kitchen sink any day.