Gransnet forums

House and home

Washing Machines

(39 Posts)
Cambia Tue 20-Oct-20 11:51:58

Help! Need a new washing machine and am so confused. Mine was quite old and there are so many new features on the new ones! My last now was Bosch but I hear that Samsung are very good too.
Not too worried about the price so long as it does a good job and lasts.
Any recommendations please? there are so many models I am just getting totally confused.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 12:28:01

I go on Which.

I think you can pay £1 and look up one thing.

Nonogran Tue 20-Oct-20 12:53:52

In my experience, Hoover have never let me down. I've heard that Hotpoint tangle up your clothes but that might be historical.
I've got a new built in machine behind a door in new kitchen. Lots of bells and whistles which I never use. My advice would be to "keep it simple". We simply don't need all the different programmes. I've heard that Bosch are very quiet so probably worth sticking with the familiar? However, like computers & laptops, I bet if you took the lid off you'd find Hoover/Samsung/Indesit parts inside!
Which is a good starting point but don't become obsessed as research is very time consuming & bewildering. I'm looking for a new telly so I speak from experience! Good luck.

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 12:54:04

I went for a Hotpoint again, as my last one (a washer dryer combo) as it lasted so long and the odd repair it needed didn't cost much as the parts are quite cheap.

My wonderful local repair man said it would have been a different story if it had been a Miele, as the parts are eye wateringly expensive!

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 12:56:07

Just to add I find the AO website very good for doing compaisons, as they provide so much information such as energy consumption, noise levels etc.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:01:59

I have a Samsung which I think I have had for around 5 years and no repairs required.

I tried to buy a simple machine with a few programmes but they are no longer made!
Be very careful re time because some washing machine cycles are ridiculous- I think mine takes 3 hours to do a very hot wash.

Even a 30 degree wash takes over 1 hour and 40 minutes and even then I feel its clock is not the same time as mine.
Good luck.

NotAGran55 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:10:00

My washing machine and tumble dryer are both John Lewis own brand .
Good products , reasonably priced plus delivery installation and removal of old machine FOC.

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 13:13:19

Mine is a Bosch and I can press a button to make the programmes faster so the 2 settings I use mostly are done in 1hr 5 minutes.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:15:26

I’ve got a brilliant washing machine bought it in July this year! Brilliant, 14 min wash is the shortest time. Lots of different spin speeds, 9pound load Candy Grand o vita 1600 spin speed, smart touch too, brilliant can’t fault !

Franbern Tue 20-Oct-20 13:22:29

Agree, best place to do comparisons is Ao.
You probably need to think about size of drum you want, and What spin speeds are important to you. How eco minded are you?
Think that few of us use all the different settings and programmes, and do think that a good manufacturer could put themselves ahead of the market by marketing one with far less of these

annodomini Tue 20-Oct-20 13:33:46

My most recent machine is a Zanussi. It's been excellent value, so far. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the really complicated machines I've encountered in the homes of my younger family members. Nor does it play a tune for me, though given its name, I'd expected Nessun Dorma!

Ellianne Tue 20-Oct-20 13:42:51

Our daughter has just bought a new one and it has a little door within the main door so you can add something if you forget!!! Samsung I think. Yes, very sophisticated machines the younger people choose, annodomini though I'm not convinced the wash is any better!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:56:52

Mine is Bosch as is my tumble drier, thoroughly recommend this make.

Luckylegs Tue 20-Oct-20 14:01:57

My Miele is fantastic. We’ve moved house and reinstalled and (touch wood) it’s as good as new. I like that it tells you how much time to the end and that you can open the door several times and put it extra stuff. Brilliant!

Oldbat1 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:07:34

Ours is a John Lewis own. It is 10yrs old and as yet never broken down. Only use 3programmes. We’ve used AO for other white goods and they have been excellent company to deal with.

Cambia Tue 20-Oct-20 14:31:13

thanks everyone, will look at AO and get some comparisons. There really is just too much choice!

SynchroSwimmer Tue 20-Oct-20 14:39:09

Very chuffed with my Samsung, chose a large capacity and high spin speed option.

It’s a pity that all machines these days are cold-fill (rather thank using the already heated water in my water tank)

Calendargirl Tue 20-Oct-20 15:42:37

Yes Franbern, a good, simple, basic machine, selling for a competitive price, would be very popular I’m sure.

Who really wants all these different programmes, spin speeds, temperatures?

Not me.

Bridie22 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:47:06

Another vote for samsung, easy to use ,

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 15:54:02

Cambia the trick to using AO (or to do any comparisons) is to make a list of the features that are important to you, even breaking it down into "must haves" and "nice to have".

I did this recently when choosing a dishwasher, must have a half load option, and a quick wash programme. Wasn't fussed about delay start (although it does have that).

I then went on to AO, narrowed it down to 2 models, then checked water and electricity consumption, then made my choice.

The reviews on there are helpful too!

JessK Tue 20-Oct-20 16:19:17

I have a Bosch and recommend it highly. I have had it for years and it's still going strong. Has a nice big drum for sheets and towels.

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Oct-20 16:21:24

My only advice, same as Synchroswimmer is a larger drum, for a larger load, good for towels/bedding.

beverly10 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:36:58

Mine is a Samsung and notice this is the choice of several here on GN. Never yet let me down.

SpringyChicken Tue 20-Oct-20 16:40:25

Our local library stocks Which? magazines which can be viewed for free. Maybe yours does too.

Our Bosch is excellent. 8kg capacity, variable spin speeds and temperatures, 15 and 30 minute programmes and the door can be opened immediately to pop in that dropped sock. Very quiet, large porthole. Currently selling around £449.

Auntieflo Tue 20-Oct-20 16:51:46

We have a Miele, 10 years old now, and never let us down, yet.