Gransnet forums

House and home

Cleaner

(12 Posts)
Mel1967 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:14:51

Just a quick question:
Those of you that have a cleaner - what do you do with your dog, if you have one?
I want to arrange to have a cleaner - to clean when I’m at work.
Would this be possible as I have a dog?
I wouldn’t be able to take the dog to work.
Thank you 😊

crazyH Thu 07-Mar-24 21:21:43

Where is your dog kept, when you are at work ?

kittylester Thu 07-Mar-24 21:26:35

Get a cleaner who likes dogs.

crazyH Thu 07-Mar-24 21:28:33

Meant to say, I don’t have a dog now but did have one years ago. I was a stay-at-home mum/owner, so there was no problem. I really think that you should not own a dog, if you are working full time ….

keepingquiet Thu 07-Mar-24 21:38:21

crazyH

Meant to say, I don’t have a dog now but did have one years ago. I was a stay-at-home mum/owner, so there was no problem. I really think that you should not own a dog, if you are working full time ….

I agree- maybe OP only works part-time? There isn't much info here but people shouldn't leave dogs alone all day.

My neighbour's dog whelps like a baby when she's out (which isn't often, or for long as she is retired) but it is still distessing to hear and I am sure my neighbour is unaware of how much her dog hates it even when she's out for a short time.

As to a cleaner- if you look for an agency they may have rules about this.

If you just take anyone without references or recommendations you are taking a risk both with your home and your dog.

Just my take as someone who does all her own cleaning (even when working and raising a family) and has never owned a dog.

Theexwife Thu 07-Mar-24 22:01:52

I have had a cleaner and a dog, some cleaners like dogs some dont.

Having a dog in the house is a good reason to have a webcam, you have to tell a cleaner there is a webcam but it is so much nicer if you say it is because of the dog.

kittylester Thu 07-Mar-24 22:24:34

Over the past 53 years, we have had various cleaners and various dogs without any problems.

Our cleaners have mostly been hired on recommendation from friends or reliable contacts - not through agencies.

Gwyllt Thu 07-Mar-24 22:45:16

Make sure fog knows cleaners and that they will allow them in when you are not there
I had a Belgian Shepherd once who was very friendly and well mannered but I doubt she would have allowed a stranger in if I was not around
On one occasion a friend who knew her well walked into my kitchen and I had popped to a shed.
No aggression but the dog fronted up to her and she decided not to go further till I got back

NotSpaghetti Fri 08-Mar-24 09:35:25

My daughter just lost a cleaner because there was "evidence" of a dog in the house. Her boyfriend's dog.

The cleaner hadn't been told about the dog and it didn't arrise in conversation as he would always be out with her boyfriend on a Tuesday when she was cleaning.
The new lady cleaner was Muslim and dogs of course are "unclean".
There is no evidence of dog hair or muddy feet in my daughter's house but there is a dog bed in the sitting room and bowls in the kitchen and a spare lead and so on in the conservatory. He doesn't live there full time. Maybe 3 or 4 days a week.

Doodledog Wed 27-Mar-24 22:11:52

We don't currently have a dog, and if we got one the cleaner would be introduced to him as a puppy. She is a dog lover, so I don't foresee a problem.

In the past, when we had a dog, he was a friendly soul, and got to know the cleaner before she started coming when we were out, so again, there was no issue. The house was busy then, with two teenage children and their friends in and out all the time, so the dog was very sociable.

I think that it's the same for a dog as getting to know anyone who comes to the house. I would spend time with both the dog and the cleaner together, then be there when the cleaner lets herself in and be positive about it. You know your dog though - if he isn't friendly or is very territorial you might be better off asking the cleaner to come when you are in. Oh, and you should absolutely let them know in advance that there is a dog in the house. They may be allergic, phobic or just not want to deal with pets.

Georgesgran Wed 27-Mar-24 22:22:41

My DD’s cleaners go every other Thursday and I have her Little Dog here for a sleepover. As she lives in a bungalow with hard floors, it’s easier for everyone if the house is empty - so she goes into work and the dog comes here. The dog is stupidly friendly and would probably get in the way and she was always concerned that a door left open accidentally could allow the dog to escape.

Iam64 Thu 28-Mar-24 08:14:53

My dogs go into the utility where they’re fed and sleep when any one other than family arrive. Many organisations , gas board for example, ask you to lock doors away when their engineer calls.
I do the same when my cleaner comes- she needs to get on without help 🐕🐶