Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Too much money???

(36 Posts)
jinglej Sat 08-Oct-11 11:58:36

Love the royal wave Glamma. grin Quite right too.

Here is mine back to you - one duchess to another. grin

glammanana Sat 08-Oct-11 10:23:03

Yes jinglej it is a difficult question, as long as we had a decent income allowing us to live comfortably and "in the way DH and I have become accustomed" Royal Wave I would be very happy,spending spree to me would not be OTT,but to make sure all aspect's of our comfort where taken care of,ie all household good's and future holiday's and treating of DGCs.

jinglej Sat 08-Oct-11 10:07:01

glamma, at what point do you think you will go on your spending spree? That, I reckon, is the difficult question. wink grin

jinglej Sat 08-Oct-11 10:03:34

Don't spend it all, or give it away, too soon Woody. Keep enough to keep a security wall round you. Even if it shrinks through inflation, it'll be better than being broke.

glammanana Fri 07-Oct-11 18:03:50

There would be no chance of me leaving anything for inheritance tax I would make sure my children had it first and pay the cost's of uni for my DGCs,DH and I have made sure that no tax's will be paid when we pop our clogg's I'll go on a massive spending spree first.If you are sure you are all set up financially Woody give your money away and watch any financial strain be eased on your family

greenmossgiel Fri 07-Oct-11 17:08:36

Woody - give it to your family and see them gain the benefit of it while you're alive. It's not worth worrying about.

gangy5 Fri 07-Oct-11 16:51:12

When my over 90 year old parents died within 6 months of each other they left us quite a nice money pot. I got immense pleasure from giving some away to my 2 boys and their families. Both families were both then able to enlarge their houses by adding a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom. I feel that doing this will have been a good investment for their futures.
With investing being rather risky at this moment, I can't see there being much chance of getting a return that will keep up with inflation.
woody if you have some to spare - give some more to the family and derive some pleasure now from doing so. When you're dead and gone you will not beable to experience that wonderful feeling!!

susiecb Fri 07-Oct-11 14:15:46

Give it away Woody and stop worrying about it.

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 13:38:41

And keep inheritance tax in mind. Perhaps give some to the kids in time (hopefully) to avoid them having to pay tax on it.

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 13:37:11

Well, you're never going to keep up with inflation at the moment Woody so I wouldn't worry too much. You could put some in fixed rate bonds for, say, three or five years, and have the rest readily available in easy access accounts. I wouldn't bother chasing better interest rates too much, except within the same bank. Make sure they upgrade it as new issues come out.

Then just enjoy it!

Woody Fri 07-Oct-11 12:58:47

I know this is a strange question but does having a big savings pot worry anyone? I am an only child and about 7 years ago the last of my parents died leaving me the family home which I then sold - they would never have believed what it was worth considering what they paid for it! I now have more than enough money to last me but it worries me so much - how and where to invest it? - I try to invest in things that I think they would have approved of but it is such a nightmare having to move accounts around trying to get the best rates etc. I feel it is my duty to make the best use of it as they struggled to buy the house all those years ago. I know I could give some to charities which they were interested in and I did that at the time as well as giving some to the grandchildren. I know I should be grateful that I dont have "lack of money" worries and I am but having too much seems a problem too!!