Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Live webchat - everything you need to know about making a will - Weds 18 April 1-2pm

(65 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:35:08

Have you made a will? Do you have questions about making one, about Probate, Power of Attorney or trusts?

Solicitor Hazel Jones of Which? Legal Service is an expert in helping people through what can be one of the most stressful situations after the loss of a loved one. This can range from what to do if someone has died without making a will, why it is so important to make a will and what happens to someone's estate after the loss of someone.

Add your questions for her here.

wotsamashedupjingl Thu 05-Apr-12 20:12:15

Another cheerful one! grin

Yes! I know it's all necessary. hmm

glassortwo Thu 05-Apr-12 20:26:36

Great as I need to sort this out and I have promised notso that I would sort it, honest its on my mega important to do list smile

kittyp Tue 10-Apr-12 10:19:46

How very timely! Mr Kitty and I are revising our wills. To a point they are straightforward in that everything we have will go to whichever of us survives the other. But...Mr K has a daughter from his first marriage and we also have one together. We would like any of my assets left over to go to my daughter (with a gift for my step daughter who will obviously inherit from her own mum) and any of his assets left to be split equally between the two of them. How best to arrange this a) to avoid unnecessary angst and taxes and b) so that the surviving one of us still gets to use as much as they need to live on before the rest goes to the girls?

rosiemus Tue 10-Apr-12 10:21:21

Can I ask about executors? How best/who to choose? And what happens to our will if we outlive one or both of the executors?

rosiemus Tue 10-Apr-12 10:24:41

Actually - if I can ask another. My BIL died intestate and this caused all manner of problems for his family. Can you explain a bit more about what happens in these circumstances and how best to deal with them?

MaggieP Wed 11-Apr-12 08:54:25

Hello Hazel
I keep urging my married children to make wills, one of them has two small children, will whatever they have automatically go to the other one on death?
I would appreciate your answer, to enable me to pass it on! Thanks

FeeTee Wed 11-Apr-12 09:58:20

Hello Hazel

Our wills specify what happens with our house and (what's left of) our savings. I have also added specific bequests for my engagement ring etc. But what to do about the rest of our "things". Some worth a bit of money, some worth nothing (but some with sentimental value) - but I'd hate to think of any of them causing arguments between our three children. Equally it seems ludicrous to lists every last thing in the will. Any suggestions?

elizahugh Thu 12-Apr-12 15:32:53

I am a British expat living in the Netherlands. I moved here to be near my daughter and her family. I am the widow of a Dutchman and she is the wife of a Dutchman. My question is - I have a British State Pension and I would like to ensure that on my death whatever is left of it goes into my estate. I presume I would have to make a British Will - how do I go about it?

witch25 Thu 12-Apr-12 17:40:13

We have been told that our original power of attorney is insufficient and we need two, one for finances and one for health is this correct please?

GrandmaH Thu 12-Apr-12 18:13:57

My husband & I both made wills leaving everything to each other before we were married. I have made a new will with the same terms but he refuses to do this(too busy- too expensive etc.) I am sure it is necessary to re-make a will if you marry.
If he were to die before me-although he is 13 years younger than I am his health is not great- what would be the implications for me if he died without making a new will please?
He has no dependants but has 3 siblings. I have 2 children from my first marriage & 5 grandchildren.
H

karinu Thu 12-Apr-12 20:48:19

I set up a Power of Attorney before it was changed a few years ago.
We then moved to France where we are now residents. Is the PofA still
valid, and can my Husband set one up in the UK?

jeni Thu 12-Apr-12 21:14:59

I set up a power of attorney when my husband died 9years ago. Is this still valid or do I make new one! I'm happy with the present one.

Marigold Fri 13-Apr-12 11:12:58

We made a will 30 years ago. Now we wish to add a codicil to amend the details of beneficiaries. As oldies we need to know the most inexpensive way of doing this, do we have to do it through a solicitor, or can we write it out and have it witnessed by friends?

Stansgran Sun 15-Apr-12 12:53:03

I have written a letter of intent for my jewellry to go with my will. Assuming I haven't sold it all to pay for care home how legal is the letter of intent and how valuable should something be before it's mentioned in your will-I am not talking about the Koh-i-noor here but very sentimental along with monetary value.

netgran Mon 16-Apr-12 15:38:13

My husband and I have made a will here in the UK. However - our sole property is in Portugal. We are presently living with our daughter in the UK and are renting out our house in Portugal. Our will leaves everything to our daughter in the event of both our deaths. Is a UK will valid in Portugal? Many thanks

bakergran Wed 18-Apr-12 10:15:34

My daughter hasn't made a will yet, although she's only 27. My other half sorted all ours out so I don't know whether I should be telling her she needs to start thinking about it? When do you absolutely have to create a will?

solidair Wed 18-Apr-12 12:01:17

I made my will about 20 years ago. It's pretty straightforward - everything to Mr Solid and, if he's died, to be divided equally among our children (mine and ours). What circumstances mean you have to update a will or do they basically last for ever?

flighty Wed 18-Apr-12 12:09:50

Are there any simple ways to minimise inheritance tax or care tax liabilities?

flighty Wed 18-Apr-12 12:21:11

I probably should have added there that I don't have serious wealth, but my partner and I do own a house in the home counties which is worth around £500,000. I know of people who have passed on their husband or wife's inheritance tax allowance, to double it up by the time the children come to inherit, but I don't know how to do this.

glassortwo Wed 18-Apr-12 12:29:11

Hi Hazel,

Welcome to Gransnet.

I am 56, my Husband and I have talked for years about making a will but have never made the push to actually go and get it sorted.

My apologies this will be a little long winded.....

We own a farmhouse which we are in the middle of renovating and are living with Daughter, Son in Law and Grandchildren while we do this. When it is finished they are moving in with us and all running costs will be split between Daughter and Myself. In normal circumstances we would leave our home between our Son and Daughter but because of this arrangement I feel that if we dont die for a lot of years (I hope)my Daughter will be paying towards the living costs and feel it will be unfair to do a 50/50 split, would it be possible to leave the house to Daughter and leave any money to Son, as I dont want Daughter to be in the position that she will have to leave her family home in the case of our death.

glassortwo Wed 18-Apr-12 12:41:47

Sorry me again...

Or would I be better to put a clause in stating that if the house if was sold (only if and when Daughter wanted to move) that a proportion of the sale would go to Son and any money split 50/50?

Strange position to be as not wanting to be seen to be making more of one than the other, but trying to be fair.

HazelJones Wed 18-Apr-12 12:49:11

CariGransnet

Have you made a will? Do you have questions about making one, about Probate, Power of Attorney or trusts?

Solicitor Hazel Jones of Which? Legal Service is an expert in helping people through what can be one of the most stressful situations after the loss of a loved one. This can range from what to do if someone has died without making a will, why it is so important to make a will and what happens to someone's estate after the loss of someone.

Add your questions for her here.

test

tomboy Wed 18-Apr-12 12:54:07

Is there a way to ensure that if your husband remarries after your death, your children get their previously agreed inheritance? (ie that it doesn't go to a new wife and perhaps her children?)

northerngran Wed 18-Apr-12 12:58:39

I came across some of those will form type things in a local stationery shop. If they are witnessed correctly are these legally binding?