Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Change of circumstances

(29 Posts)
petra Mon 12-Nov-12 15:18:53

The heading says it all. This happened to me today. I didn't have to go through the finances to work out what I have. I will have my basic pension.
Working things out I realise I will have to choose between: The Car, The Internet/TV package. Which would you choose?

Anne58 Wed 14-Nov-12 12:46:07

This all started when BT put my monthly payments from around £40 pm to £80 ! I had been on the evening and weekend plan but since job hunting I have used the phone much more during the day.I then got a quote from Plusnet, which was better, contacted BT to tell them I was leaving and surprise surprise, they suddenly found all sorts of "loyalty" discounts they could offer!

This then took the BT price slightly lower than Plusnet, but would have meant changing our broadband to BT, which I was loath to do, because of the customer service angle.

Got back on to Plusnet, said that sadly I would be needing a mac code to switch the broadband to BT, didn't want to leave them etc. They then put a package together for me that was 30p a month more than the BT lowest offer, but to be honest it is worth the 30p difference to know that you will get good service.

So, basically the moral is. threaten to leave or reduce your package, no matter who you are with, and you should get an offer. Companies know that retaining an existing customer will always be more cost effective than gaining a new one.

Incidentally, you might notice that if you are calling the sales numbers, or the "thinking of leaving" options, you are not kept hanging on for too long! Strange, that! grin

Nanadog Wed 14-Nov-12 14:32:29

Ain't it just phoenix wink

Elegran Wed 14-Nov-12 14:50:13

I was told by someone that amongst themselves at the Virgin helpline the "disconnect" option on the helpline is known as the "reconnection" department because they will do anything at all to stop you leaving. I imagine it is the same at all the providers.