Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

"Ausperity" ; - live webchat with Lucy Tobin Weds 16 Jan 3-4pm

(75 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jan-13 11:43:25

It's probably fair to say that these days we’re all feeling the pinch. It's post Christmas. Our wages - if working - probably haven’t risen for a long time, but taxes, food, heating, clothes, driving, kids/grandchildren, rent, mortgages and going out – certainly have. Life costs more – but, according to personal finance expert Lucy Tobin, that doesn’t mean it has to be rubbish. Treats can stay on the agenda and there’s no need for a hair shirt or holiday-less year if you trim your costs elsewhere. That’s "ausperity" – living a prosperous life on an austerity budget.

Lucy's new book contains so many money-saving ideas and tips that added together they can knock thousands off the cost of living. If you'd like tips on, say, slashing your heating bill by a third, finding free and cheap days and nights out or raising quick cash without a trip to the pawn shop (and loads more) Lucy's your woman. So to find out how to squeeze more out of your hard-earned cash by adding your questions for her here (and don't forget to join in on 16th.)

Lucy is personal finance editor of the London Evening Standard, where she writes a weekly column ‘How to Save It’ filled with money-saving ideas.

Crostini Wed 16-Jan-13 15:23:54

My big expense is my car. Do you have any tips for cutting the costs of running it? I drive mainly in the city so can't do that thing pf going everywhere at 50mph. Thanks!

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:26:35

carbqueen

Hello Lucy. I would love to supplement our income. I have done a bit of ebaying but it seems so laborious (listing, packing, posting) when the things we have sell only for a couple of pounds a time. Is it really worth my while or shall I give the whole lot away and find another way to make some cash?

I devoted a whole chunk of my book to ways to make money, because the rise of the internet means there are so many easy ways to make a little extra cash. Here are a few:
- sign up to do surveys online - sites include yougov.com, valuedopinions.co.uk and panelbase.net they're not going to make you a millionaire, most pay up to £1 per survey, but they only take a short time and are easily done in front of the TV etc
- become a mystery shopper. Test out restaurants, gyms, even petrol stations on behalf of companies who will pay you to do so, plus give you a free lunch/gym membership/fuel, etc. Some good sites include retaileyes.co.uk and gapbuster.com
- find lost money. Think you might have had a bank account from yonks ago but can't remember what/where/etc? Tap in your details at mylostaccount.org.uk and it will tell you if you've got any accounts in your name that you've forgotten about. Don't worry about the safety of the site, it's run by the banks themselves.
- rent your stuff. You can rent out a room, car, garden, parking space easily online with sites such as spareroom.co.uk, blablacar.com, liftshare.com, storemates.co.uk, and campinmygarden.com. Make sure you're happy with the safety of any arrangements before signing up.
- sell electrical items. often it's cheaper, and easier, to sell old phones, sat nav systems, etc via recycling sites. See mazumamobile.com as an example. The devices don't even have to be working.

Good luck!

GrannyGrey Wed 16-Jan-13 15:29:35

oooh - hi Lucy. My DGS has just moved in to his first new flat and needs to furnish it. I've offered him some of our old furniture but even I can see it's not really in keeping with a 'bachelor pad'. Any idea where he can find good cheap furniture?

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:31:11

getmehrt

Hi Lucy, are there any rules for how often you should think about switching your mortgage? Thanks

Hello!
The fees involved in switching mortgages means it's not something you'd usually want to do every year - there are legal fees, early repayment fees, banking fees, etc. But if you're on an expensive interest rate now, it could well be worth changing as the Bank of England base rate remains at the record low 0.5% and there are some very cheap deals around, especially for those with a large equity stake built up.
If you're feeling uncertain, talk to a financial advisor - you can find a list at unbiased.co.uk - or if you're confident enough to look on your own, compare offers at banks, building societies or comparison sites such as moneyfacts.co.uk and moneysupermarket.com. All deals, though, will depend on personal circumstances.

alphafemale Wed 16-Jan-13 15:31:40

Do you know of any group discount sites, other than Groupon? And are they useful?

Pricklypensioner Wed 16-Jan-13 15:33:26

We're considering a summer holiday and it seems our spending money is not going as far as it used to. Where is a good destination (within a 4 hour travel distance) where the pound stretches fairly far?

Iwasframed Wed 16-Jan-13 15:33:38

I love the theatre and opera but increasingly find it very expensive on my pension (especially the opera...) Do you have any ideas for how to get cheaper tickets?

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:35:00

GrannyGrey

oooh - hi Lucy. My DGS has just moved in to his first new flat and needs to furnish it. I've offered him some of our old furniture but even I can see it's not really in keeping with a 'bachelor pad'. Any idea where he can find good cheap furniture?

Doesn't he know it's retro... and free?! If that doesn't work, he can find other people's cast-offs at ukfreecycle.org, or:
- visit a furniture outlet store such as homebrands.co.uk, trade-secret.co.uk - they sell sofas and more from shops such as John Lewis at a shadow of the cost
- check out charity furniture shops - my book Ausperity has details of these, and most of the big charities such as Oxfam and Red Cross offer specific stores for home wares and furniture
- replace doors and handles rather than full kitchens/cupboards etc - find them at doors.homestylekitchens.co.uk and elsewhere
- Lastly, it's not always the nicest shopping experience but half my flat's furniture comes from Ikea.... It's cheap and looks good!

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:38:06

Iwasframed

I love the theatre and opera but increasingly find it very expensive on my pension (especially the opera...) Do you have any ideas for how to get cheaper tickets?

Have you considered becoming a friend or joining a membership scheme? My mum (shout out to Lyn!) is a member of the Royal Opera House friends' scheme (http://www.roh.org.uk/support/you/friends if you live in London) - there's a hefty price to join (although you can cut the cost by doing it jointly with a friend, as my mum has) but in return you can watch cheaper shows and dress rehearsal for a whole year. Others around the country have similar offers.

doubletrouble Wed 16-Jan-13 15:38:49

Hi Lucy,

I have a daughter who is 30 and has been working since she left university. She has been living with her boyfriend (in a flat she owns!) for a couple of years. They are talking about getting married. We haven't discussed it, but I think she assumes we have more money than we do and also that we will pay, at least for most of it. Is it usual for parents still to pay for their daughters' weddings? (my son, who is older, has never married his lovely partner, so I just don't know.) And is there any way of doing it that isn't going to cost us £20,000?

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:41:00

alphafemale

Do you know of any group discount sites, other than Groupon? And are they useful?

yes here are lots: wowcher.co.uk, kelkooselect.co.uk, keynoir.com, livingsocial.com, and wahanda.com. The latter focuses on spa and hair deals, the rest are general offers covering restaurants, trips, holidays etc. Are they useful? Depends - often they have a mixed bag of deals and sometimes you'll think they are rubbish, but occasionally a gem emerges - a cheap deal at a restaurant you frequent, say, or a £15 voucher for M&S for only £7, which I bought from Living Social recently. My advice is sign up to them all with an alternative email address (to avoid getting too much mail in your main account) and sift through whenever you have time (be aware most deals run out fairly after 24 hours).

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:44:12

sneetch

Distaffgran talking about discount codes reminds me that whenever I buy anything online, there is usually a box to put in a discount codes. Who is getting these codes and where from? Why do I never get them?

Actually, to be fair, I do occasionally get one if I get a catalogue through the post. But they are even on websites for expensive luxury goods these days. Lucy, any ideas how else to get them?

Discount codes - I hate shopping without them! A few sites list 100s of codes - see for example vouchercodes.co.uk, otherwise what I always do is just before I buy something online I google the name of the shop plus 'voucher code' or 'discount' and usually something will emerge. Shops are suffering from austerity just like us, so make the most of the deals out there.

granIT Wed 16-Jan-13 15:44:35

Hello, I don't know if this is quite your area, but...I have been the victim of fraud. Someone bought some (oversized, men's!!) sports goods online in my name, sent to address I've never heard of let alone lived at. I am constantly getting letters about this from solicitors, bailiffs, credit recovery companies etc.

I have written to all the major credit agencies explaining it wasn't me but no one seems to take any notice. So - will this £249 bad credit stay on my file forever? And will it have any serious impact in the future - if say, I want to remortgage? Thanks

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:46:33

cheelu

Is she going to tell us anything that will really help..imho if you need more money you need to work more hours.....you may be able to save money if for eg you don't throw the last of the soap away and put it in the drawer instead of paying out for a freshener, but little things like that don't change lives, working more hours does...not sure anyone going to want to hear that though so ready for the fall out!!!!

Disagree! My book Ausperity is a mixture of the little things that save money (did you know how much cleaning vinegar can do? It's so cheap and will mean you can stop buying almost all cleaning products) lots of easy ways to make money (especially online, little things that add up) and the big stuff - how to switch energy provider, insurer, mortgage, without sweat to save £1000s a year. Try it!

batgran Wed 16-Jan-13 15:49:07

Hi Lucy, I know you're supposed to shop around for better deals on car insurance but I've had several experiences where I've got seven-eighths of the way through arranging a new deal and the page has crashed, or I haven't been able to produce some vital piece of evidence....what would you say is the easiest way of comparing prices and putting a new deal in place? And how carefully should you be reading the small print? Sometimes I feel that life's just too short....

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:50:17

granIT

Hello, I don't know if this is quite your area, but...I have been the victim of fraud. Someone bought some (oversized, men's!!) sports goods online in my name, sent to address I've never heard of let alone lived at. I am constantly getting letters about this from solicitors, bailiffs, credit recovery companies etc.

I have written to all the major credit agencies explaining it wasn't me but no one seems to take any notice. So - will this £249 bad credit stay on my file forever? And will it have any serious impact in the future - if say, I want to remortgage? Thanks

I know you say you've done so already but you've got to be persistent with the credit reference agencies. Contact them, provide proof of the fraud (such as a letter confirming it from your bank) and make sure it's written on your credit rating to avoid problems with loans etc in the future.

Goodjeans Wed 16-Jan-13 15:52:02

What would you recommend as the best runner up to Amazon - which I detest!

firenze Wed 16-Jan-13 15:52:40

I have a bit of a weakness for cosmetics. I justify my splurges because moisturisers are usually cheaper than a dress and they make me feel good. And somehow the cheapest products don't cut it - there's something about tissue paper and good packaging (even though I throw it away - I know, mad) and a smart little pot that I like. Is there any hope for my addiction?

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:56:12

Grannygee

I've just retired. Yippee! I also have a new grandson to add to my other adorable one. Both live in London. I would like to become a busy person as a retired granny like I was before I gave up work. I have both parents living nearby, both in their eighties and dad's got early dementia and mum's quite frail and gets worn out so I'm there for them as is my husband who has endless patience! I'm planning on joining a voluntary body and doing some outdoor work say for Suffolk Wildlife Trust but I'd also like to have some fun for free so ideas for 'free' treats would be great! Look forward to the chat! smile

Congratulations! Here are a few quick ideas on fun for free (the best kind of fun!):

- sign up to seefilmfirst.com and momentumpictures.co.uk to get free cinema tickets to films before they're widely released at cinemas around the country. You get two tickets each time, so can take a friend too
- watch TV shows being filmed live - bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/beonashow lists lots, as does sroaudiences.com
- read your local paper for free events listings such as local am dram shows, music performances and more
- don't overlook museums, galleries etc - so many are free. Visit timeout.com/london to find these in the capital, or 'view' followed by the name of your town, eg viewbath.co.uk to find events near you

icabodisitchy Wed 16-Jan-13 15:57:00

I am bewildered by the range of fares when I travel by train. I know the advice is to book early, but for me this is not always possible. How else can you ensure you're not paying three times as much as the person in the next seat? Thanks!! smile

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 15:57:46

firenze

I have a bit of a weakness for cosmetics. I justify my splurges because moisturisers are usually cheaper than a dress and they make me feel good. And somehow the cheapest products don't cut it - there's something about tissue paper and good packaging (even though I throw it away - I know, mad) and a smart little pot that I like. Is there any hope for my addiction?

Definitely! Find cheaper make up (but still effective and cool packaging) at eyeslipface.co.uk and strawberrynet.com and feelunique.com both offer big brand name make up and cosmetics at a snip of the usual price. Also look out for freebies in magazines - if it's something you like and were going to buy anyway, it's nice to get a mag free too!

LucyTobin Wed 16-Jan-13 16:00:41

icabodisitchy

I am bewildered by the range of fares when I travel by train. I know the advice is to book early, but for me this is not always possible. How else can you ensure you're not paying three times as much as the person in the next seat? Thanks!! smile

Check prices online with a site like trainline.com, but always buy direct from the train group that is providing your ticket, eg Thameslink, to avoid extra fees. And try to find a railcard if you can - see railcard.co.uk to find out if you're eligible. These knock off a third of the price of tickets so are an easy way to save. Most cost £26 to buy, but if you're a regular traveller you'll save that and more across the year. Oh, and if you're ever struck by long train delays, visit trainrefunds.co.uk to claim your money back.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-13 16:11:54

Huge thank you to Lucy for so many great tips - three guesses what we will be doing this evening

Movedalot Wed 16-Jan-13 16:56:35

Just read through these and think they are mostly helpful but the one about buying petrol when it is cool is just wrong! This has been going around for a while and so has the explanation of why it is wrong. Petrol is stored underground so it makes no difference what the weather is doing as it will be the same temperature when it gets in you tank whatever the weather.