Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Tax problems.

(28 Posts)
HUNTERF Wed 02-Jan-13 12:48:27

My father passed away early in 2012 and I thought all his tax was settled.
Suddenly I have had a request for £89 which relates to the 2008 to 2009 year which my father has underpaid according to the Inland Revenue.
The estate has now been distributed but I am the sole beneficiary.
I would like some evidence but this is going to be difficult as Dad is no longer there.
I am prepared to pay the £89 but I would like a letter from the Inland Revenue stating this is a full and final settlement of tax due from Dad's estate.
What concerns me is the Inland Revenue may ask for £1,000 in a years time without producing any real evidence.
Has anybody else had this problem and managed to get a final settlement letter from the Inland Revenue?.

Frank

glammanana Thu 03-Jan-13 18:36:48

Frank so sorry if I seemed to give incorrect information but to be honest in "my" case I would not repay any tax demand for either of my parents the tax inspector could go and jump for it imho,and it certainly would not make any difference how much inheritance I had received either out of principal I would not pay it,if these people cannot get it right when our relatives pass on and we supply them with the details how can they come back at a later date and say more is owed.

vampirequeen Thu 03-Jan-13 19:04:58

Frank you don't owe the taxman anything. They're chasing someone who has died. It's not your debt.