Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bl***y CSA!

(64 Posts)
rubylady Wed 20-May-15 12:37:21

I have been dealing for ages now with a very nice young man at the CSA and payments have been going as smooth as you can expect with a government run agency. But the young man is very lovely. On the Christmas card list and everything. Anyway, he is off sick.

I phoned last Thursday as payments since the Bank Holiday have been upside down (shall we say) and was told that since my case is a sensitive case, it has to be authorised manually and would be done as soon as the person I was speaking to had hung up. Good. Payment in my account then in time for my son's 18th tomorrow. I also got a confirmation phone call to say that it had been done. Excellent! Whoopee!!!

Monday, no payment. Tuesday, no payment. Today, no payment. I even waited up until gone 2 am to check if it cleared after the 2 am bank clearing. No, nothing. Now I am in schtuck over his birthday tomorrow.

Presents bought, thankfully, but no banners, balloons or cake! How can a 18 year old have no cake?

I have just phoned the CSA again and they told me, because they had a new computer system put in a week ago that my payment has gone to another department and they need to get it back in order to authorise it and it may be done today. AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!! Why did I give up smoking???

Why then, did they phone me to say that the payment had been done last week if it had not? They drive me nuts and if I could work, I could run rings round them and their incompetent outfit.

Now I will go and make a brew and count to ten. If it wasn't his birthday, then fine, I would manage but it is too late now to go and try to beg, borrow or steal to make it happen. It is infuriating and disappointing.

Ana Wed 20-May-15 12:53:22

Will your son really be bothered about not having balloons or a birthday cake? At that age they're only interested in the presents, in my experience! grin

Try not to let the incompetence of bureaucracy get to you, I'm sure tomorrow will be a lovely day anyway.

rosesarered Wed 20-May-15 13:12:05

does he live at home with you ruby? hopefully he will understand about the cake, or could you make him one, even a small one?He has presents and you can tell him you love him, worth more than cake.

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 13:18:08

I know, and in itself it doesn't seem a big deal. The problem is that my son has always been ignored by everyone else in the family, even his sister won't be bothering tomorrow. When it was her 18th she had all the bells and whistles, party, go-karting, sapphire and diamond ring, lovely birthday breakfast, helium balloons, all the lot. So if I just get up, when he already feels like people don't care, and he hasn't had some fuss off me, then it would be disappointing for him. And it is his 18th.

I will sort it somehow, it's what us mum's do.

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 13:20:15

I do have some money coming in after midnight, it will just have to be a very late shop. Thank goodness for 24 hour shopping.

But if I had been paid by the CSA I would have gone by now.

soontobe Wed 20-May-15 16:20:33

Poor you.
I think that it is a big deal in your case.

If the worse comes to the worse, is there someone who could lend you some of those things?

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 16:32:13

No, it's fine, I will just go to the all night Tesco later.

I have bought all things that he has gone through in his life, "It's a Boy" rice paper wafer, Thomas the Tank, Minecraft, Playstation, XBox, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemaon, to guitars which he does now. So all these are to go on his cake. That is why it is important, because a lot of thought and preparation has gone into it. (Either rice paper pics or tiny models.)

Plus he only has a couple of things to open as his present is membership to a gym nearby for a few months.

The CSA have just phoned back and they have now sorted the payment and put it through as urgent. It won't get to me for the morning but never mind. I was just upset that they had said they had sorted it last week when they hadn't. Never mind, it will be something to look back on, a midnight dash.

janerowena Wed 20-May-15 16:53:47

I'm glad you took all that effort, and I'm sure he will be too, even if he doesn't show it all that much. I know what they can be like... But he will remember.

I remember having a similar panic about payments, between marriages, it's awful. I can remember dumping my daughter on a neighbour and running all the way into town to try to sort it before the offices closed, and being devastated, it felt like the end of the world.

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 22:00:10

I know janerowena. Another worry is that the month after my DD turned 18, payments stopped. He must have thought that all responsibility had ceased. So I do hope that he doesn't stop paying in next week. I suppose I will just have to see.

But I am now looking forward to my late shop. grin

rubylady Thu 21-May-15 00:24:00

Good, at last, some money paid in. I'm off then shopping. Tired, would rather be going to bed, but hey ho. My son rubyson love that, is flat out asleep on the settee! grin

seasider Thu 21-May-15 00:49:28

Hope he has a lovely day xx

vampirequeen Thu 21-May-15 07:29:07

Typical government department.

You are a SUPERMUM.

bikergran Thu 21-May-15 08:19:32

Hope your son has a great birthday rubylady (think you said it was today but may be wrong) you have worked so hard making it special for him smile your a strong lady! smile

AshTree Thu 21-May-15 08:24:22

Happy 18th Birthday to rubyson [cake]wine. Hope you both enjoy the day after all the stress getting it sorted rubylady

AshTree Thu 21-May-15 08:25:06

Oh bu@@er, I always do that! cupcake for rubyson, words won't hel[ him, lol!

rubylady Fri 22-May-15 00:53:38

Thank you to all of you for wishing my son a very happy birthday.

The day started well. I finished icing the cheesecake about 3 am and got to bed about 4 am. Up about 9 am when he opened presents and cards (my dad got him two because he had forgot he had got him one smile). Then I brought in the cheesecake plus sparkling fountains. He was fine, we played guess the intro with some music. Laughing, messing about.

Then his friend/girlfriend turned up and I paid for them a taxi to get to college. He went out with them after, just to the park and he said that he was feeling really down as it was 10 years since he had last seen his dad.

He had mentioned that his sister hadn't got in touch. I had told her not to get in touch as he hadn't heard off her for 12 months and I didn't want him upset. I didn't know which way to play it but I wanted a day where just people who do care about him were around him but I suppose things come to the surface on special days.

Anyway, knowing that he wanted to speak to her, I text her and asked her to get in touch with him, which she did. He says if anyone knows how he feels over his dad then she will do but she was a lot older, 18 at the time when he was 8. And I don't think it has affected her as much really. He used to go to his dad's, she didn't (her own choice).

So today has been a bit of a damp squib. I really didn't want it to unfold like this, I wanted a day for him to look back on and have good memories. Why do they do this to their own children? Do parents not realise that children grow up and will eventually want answers to how they have been treated in the past?

I want to wipe out his hurt like a board duster on a blackboard, but it won't happen. He hates his birthday he says because he has the memory of being left on the doorstep on his 8th birthday and never seeing his dad again since. He moved away shortly afterwards and never got back in touch and never answered messages or phone calls. It would make you question what you had done wrong. Even though I don't think at all it was anything my son did. My ex was married again and to a very domineering woman. But then if he was acting as she wanted, he acted spineless towards his own flesh and blood.

rubylady Fri 22-May-15 00:54:54

p.s. I did pass on your wishes to him and he said thank you to you all and he loves his name on here, rubyson. smile

loopylou Fri 22-May-15 06:22:52

I guess any of his birthdays will be shadowed by what happened but at least he enjoyed the efforts you'd made to make it special rubylady

You didn't and haven't done anything wrong, and nothing is going to change the past. It's good that he spoke to his sister and perhaps she could help him get some perspective on his father's callous behaviour?

You're doing the very best you can, perhaps the day wasn't as flat as you think?

((Hugs)) x

shysal Fri 22-May-15 14:05:55

Does the fact that he is now 18 mean that CSA payments will finish, or do they continue while he is still in education? Life will be hard if the money stops but he is not working, hope all will be ok. How thoughtful were your gifts and little touches cupcake ! You have done a great job raising Rubyson on your own, be proud! flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 14:09:30

My son would be very upset about not having balloons and a birthday cake. And he's 31-ish (I think)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 14:09:44

that was to Ana.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 14:14:55

For goodnesxs sake Rubylady! Your son is old enough to put all that stuff behind him. Tell him to grow up. He does sound very ungrateful. Perhaps you try too hard.

Tegan Fri 22-May-15 15:03:50

I had a very dear Scottish friend who's dad left him and his mum when he was young, and he never got over the hurt. My two, my daughter especially, took a long time to get over their father leaving us, even though they were in their later teens when it happened.It's the sense of betrayal never goes away..it's nothing to do with growing up. And young men especially feel a lot of anger about it sad.

aggie Fri 22-May-15 15:09:08

love and happy birthday to your son smile

aggie Fri 22-May-15 15:10:52

Jingle you are all heart xxx