Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Distressing Development

(35 Posts)
knickas63 Sun 12-Aug-18 15:06:38

My youngest DD has been with her partner for 6 years. They have a three year old daughter and rent a three bed property. They moved from a cramped, damp and poorly heated 2 bed in the new year. Things haven't been right for a while. She has tried really hard to fix things, but last night he called off their engagement to move out. He said he can't cope with the responsibility and pressure of family life. He wants to put himself first. He gas blown a large part of their savings and wedding money on Tattoos, and just wants to party. They are quite young. 23 & 25. Both work, although DD is on reduced hours as she has my DGD to look after. How will she stand financially. They have been entitled to Universal Credit before, but despite doing everything asked and sending all requested paperwork, the have twice been informed they have been over paid and asked to pay back £2000! She is scared of relying on this help with its flaws and lack of stability. And what is she entitled to claim from the man child who has just deserted her? All advice welcome please. Sick with worry.

FlexibleFriend Sun 12-Aug-18 16:17:32

I know nothing about benefits but have a friend who was in a similar situation and the ManChild in her case has to pay £5 a week for their daughter. He's moved on and has two more children although he is skint and she has to work and claim whatever she can as he feels no responsibility for his daughter. Your Daughter needs professional advise regarding benefits have a look here and hope it helps www.entitledto.co.uk/?e2dwp=y

knickas63 Sun 12-Aug-18 16:23:30

Thank you.

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 16:27:35

Perhaps a visit to the Citizens Advice Bureau?

HAZBEEN Sun 12-Aug-18 16:37:36

Her first step is the Citizens advice or if her local housing ( or HA) has a benefit advice office perhaps go there. She needs to get expert advice. Is her house rented?
Contact the DWP and explain the situation, if they are on a joint claim it needs to be separated as soon as she can.
Next see if a local solicitor will give her a half hour appointment free of charge re the child.
If they have a joint bank account contact the bank asap.
Sending my best wishes to her and you.

jenpax Sun 12-Aug-18 16:53:28

Tell your daughter to go to her local Citizens Advice (Bureau has been dropped from the name now) they will be able to
1) do a benefit check to see what she should get as a single claimant
2) assist with appealing any overpayment of Universal Credit if there are grounds to do this (she must not delay there are time limits for this)
3) advise her with applications to the child maintenance service
4) potentially provide a list of solicitors local to her who can give a free half hour appointment (some do this)
Also tell her to look on adviceguide the Citizens Advice web site there is loads of info there on separation, maintenance , benefits and much more!
Look also at an excellent website called Advice now and for your own benefit check Turn2us

rubytut Sun 12-Aug-18 17:28:04

Go on the benefits site , you can put your details in and see how much you are entitled to. Of course the manchild has to pay but getting it is another matter. Go careful about what you say though as they could get back together.

knickas63 Sun 12-Aug-18 17:51:27

Thank you all. They are not claiming at the moment, as despite declaring everything, after 4 months they were told they earn too much and now need to refund £2000. They really don't earn a lot! House is rented. He hasn't moved out yet, but is going to. She is really stressed at going through the whole claim process again. There is no comeback on the Universal Credit Team when they make mistakes. She cannot afford to pay back £2000. It would have been very difficult when they were together, impossible now. We want to make sure he pays towards his daughter, and sees her properly, as she adores her daddy. I am heartbroken for her, and she is so sad. I will get her to contact Citizens Advice. Is there any form of Ombudsman for Universal Credit?

MissAdventure Sun 12-Aug-18 18:20:36

Could I ask roughly what area your daughter lives in, knickas?
Only because there is an excellent organisation which would be able to help with every aspect of her situation.
They have taken over from the citizens advice here, and are very knowledgeable.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Aug-18 18:23:35

Oh, and I've just thought, Gingerbread are still around, and I believe they have a phone helpline too.

knickas63 Sun 12-Aug-18 18:37:49

Hampshire?

MissAdventure Sun 12-Aug-18 18:45:21

www.peabody.org.uk/about-us/contact/former-fm

When I typed in Hampshire, Southampton came up, but I don't know how close that is to you?
They really are very knowledgeable about all aspects, so they can be presented with the whole scenario and will know the best way forward.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Aug-18 18:53:40

Hmmmm..
Not sure the link gives the info I wanted it to, but I have a leaflet here.
They give advice about budgeting, benefit entitlement and appeals, health and wellbeing, and consumer rights.
I just copied that from the leaflet.
The number is 0800 288 8883.

notanan2 Sun 12-Aug-18 18:56:20

They have made universal credits so "glitchy" on purpose IMO to force people to try to manage without it. Every single person I know who has claimed had been made to repay "overpayments" even when they kept their details up to date.

You have a very limited time to appeal a UC overpayment, like a month I think, and if you go down that route and fail you then have to pay the total lump sum because you will have missed the window to arrange a payment plan: so most people just chose to arrange a payment plan even if they know its UC in the wrong. Payment plans can be as little as £20/month (compaired to their demands for lump sums thats not too bad)

knickas63 Sun 12-Aug-18 23:23:13

Thank you Misadventure. And I totally agree notanan2!

burtieb26 Mon 13-Aug-18 11:57:53

My daughter in similar position. Child tax credits told her she owes £8,000! Problem is her ex didn’t remove himself from electoral role etc so all his post is still going to address and they believe he still lives there. She is in process of supplying proof he no longer lives with her. Some areas hold benefit clinics which luckily we have so she is going there for advise and then citizens advice if they are unable to help. As always it’s the women left holding the babies. If he is still at address this may be the problem for her. Hope this helps.

mabon1 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:11:33

Well rid of him.

pheasant75 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:17:18

Hope this helps get hold of the national debt line i think its based in Birmingham had similar problems with my son all resolved now good advice and template letters.
she needs to get on with it now

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:37:14

Apart from all the excellent advice, assuming your daughter has accepted the break-up and is trying to find a way through the emotional and financial morass, she ought to ask her bank for advice. They may be able to help her budget well and make some savings.

She also needs to tell this drop-out in no uncertain terms that as he has called off their engagement he can b. well move out today, rather than tomorrow. If he refuses, get a locksmith, change the locks, pack his belongings and put them outside the locked door. Your daughter and GC can surely stay with you for a few days, until he has removed his things.

anitamp1 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:56:08

Don't know much about these things, but would think she needs to get onto CSA to make sure he is made to pay the correct support for the child.

quizqueen Mon 13-Aug-18 13:17:59

It sounds like he needs to move out immediately as she won't be able to claim anything as a single parent while he's still there. It's his problem where he lives. Then she can claim single occupancy council tax and perhaps consider moving to a cheaper two bedroom property when her rental lease expires.

If 'they' as a couple owe money back for UC then surely that debt should be shared and the onus not your daughter entirely. It is unfortunate that women continue to choose and have children with unsuitable men and then the taxpayer has to pick up the bill.

GabriellaG Mon 13-Aug-18 13:22:24

I'm sorry to hear about yet another ass who walks. Your daughter will survive but she needs to go to the citizen's advice pdq...urgently. They will help her sort out the financial side of things and advise on free child care etc. I hope your DD has blocked him from taking any more money out of the bank. Was it a joint account?
She also needs to set the legal wheels in motion re child upkeep as tbe DSS will want his details so they can pursue him through the courts if he doesn't respond to you.
She needs to tell them where he works and his new address, DOB and NI number (if known) also his parents address, in case he moves there.
They can apply for an AEO (attachment of earnings order) which will enable the amount ordered by the court to be taken out of his earnings by his employer BEFORE his pay goes into his bank account. His employer has to comply with this and an AEO goes into all his financials and he will have to provide bank statements, savings, earnings and outgoings as ordered by the court. If he doesn't, he'll be jailed.
Urge your DD to get the ball rolling right away.
Lots of good wishes to both of you.

Gin Mon 13-Aug-18 13:34:51

Citizens Advice will do a benefit check and help liaise with agencies re rent, council tax , maintenance payment, benefit claim and possible appeal.

They also usually have debt advisers who can help to deal with any debts the couple may have and in producing a budget plan.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 13-Aug-18 13:51:30

I use to work for CAB and I can tell you they will work out your entitlement and advise you well. Please go with your daughter and put your minds at rest. As for over payment, well when you are sure you owe it and not before, offer £5 a week and that will keep the wolf from the door. Once again CAB can help and advise on the over payment.

GabriellaG Mon 13-Aug-18 13:53:21

knickas63
I echo quizqueens advice. As long as he's still living there she will get no help at all.
When he's out for good with all his stuff, your DD must inform the council tax dept and she will get a 25% reduction from that date until the start of the next tax year when she renews it.
As for the UC, it depends in whose name it was paid.
If in your DDs name then she will have to come to an arrangement with them to pay it back.
When she rings them (0800-328-5644/9344) there is an option to choose 'change of circumstances' which takes you to the correct department.
shamrock
Remember...while he's there, no help will be available.
If she needs help with rent, there is a hoysing benefit ceiling and the amount is dependent on where in the borough she lives.
She will likely be told to finsmd smaller property, 1 bedroom if the child is a girl under 10 (I think it's 10 but check and yes, you have to share) and 2 bedrooms if child is older or a boy over a certain age.
Advise her to sort out bank statements showing how much she paid in and toward savings as it will save time later.