Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

STATE PENSION

(52 Posts)
Brunette10 Tue 25-Sep-18 10:05:08

I am totally confused about the above. I thought I was on track but just found out I'm not. I am 64 at the moment, the usual story of not getting pension when I was 60. However this morning I have just found out that although I have 42 years worth of NI contributions and thought eventually when I get my pension in July of next year I would get the full new state pension. OH NO not so. I've just been on the website and they inform me that to qualify for the full new pension I would have to contribute towards the years from 2011(when I retired) up until 2019. At the time retiring I did have enough years to qualify. On another government website it clearly states to qualify for the new pension you have have to 35 years worth of contributions which I have. I am totally confused. Is there anyone out there who could advise?

Caledonai14 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:51:34

There is definitely a problem when it comes to getting justice. For a start, many comment columns (not this one) include comments from men who say "You wanted equality - you've got it so you can't complain."

If the government had stuck to bringing in the changes slowly and kept us all informed, there would have been a bit more time, but not enough to sort things for people who had gaps in contributions, low paid work or been advised wrongly they would not need to contribute.

The last time the subject came up on BBC's question time, it was shut down very quickly.

Scots MP Mairi Black has been particularly active in trying to get something done, but it seems to be a difficult subject to bring to the fore - mainly, I think - because we are a generation who just get on with things, believing that our cause is just and right will win in the end.

And some of my fellow Waspis are so busy trying to keep down low paid jobs and caring for grandchildren and elderly relatives, taking on a whole uncaring system is the last thing they want to do.

Sadly, I fear some people will not survive the extra 6 years that was suddenly dumped on us without warning. We will never see the benefit the government has reaped from our impoverishment.