Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

State Pension. Can't manage.

(51 Posts)
Cathy04 Sat 29-Sep-18 09:41:06

Hello

My husband died earlier this year. He had a severe disability and I cared for him for many years.We had very small amount of savings and our income was State pension each and his PIP. I had Carers Allowance up until last summer when I got my pension. So my income has gone down by 2/3rds since his death.

Last night I worked out my finances for the year Sept to Sept. After paying things like boiler service, oil, water, electric etc I am left with £32 a week for food, clothes etc.

I have been supplementing my pension with our savings. After paying for his funeral and now ordering his memorial stone I am pretty much cleaned out.

I have got a reduction on my council tax . Looking on line at some very helpful sites it seems I cannot claim any help.
I shall have to get rid of my old car as insurance and MOT due next month. I live in a small village with no shop or bus service. Hourly bus service when we moved here.
Looked at selling but I have a small 2 bedroom bungalow and flats in town, 12 miles away, are comparable prices. Then there would be fees.

Was thinking about a lodger. I don't relish the idea. Any and all thoughts are welcome. Sorry if this is a bit disjointed. Been up since 4am worrying.This is my third attempt, lost the first two.

GrandmaKT Sat 29-Sep-18 09:55:09

flowersKathy04 just seen your post and, although I am certainly no expert, I wanted to send flowers and hugs.
You don't mention Pension Credit -would you not be entitled to that? What about contacting the council re getting a council house/flat? I know in some areas there are very long waiting lists, but not in others. If you live in an expensive area would you consider moving? I understand that if you have friends and family close by you wouldn't want to do this. Autumn is an alternative to renting a room out long term and could be a first step to see how you like it. I'm sure others will be along with helpful suggestions xxx.

baubles Sat 29-Sep-18 10:10:38

Cathy04 4 am seems to be the time when worries hit hard. flowers

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about what help may be available but have you contacted Age UK or Citizens Advice?

www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/

Luckygirl Sat 29-Sep-18 10:17:26

Try this: www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

It is a link to inline benefits calculators - you just enter in your details (income, outgoings, age etc.) and they tell you what you might be entitled to. It sounds from your post as though you will have all those details at your finger tips.

If you are not confident with the online route, then please do take it all to your nearest Citizens Advice.

I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and for the sticky financial situation you find yourself in. I am carer to my OH and we both know that if he dies first things will be very difficult for me as, for reasons of his long term ill health, his pensions are small and will be halved.

flowers

Luckygirl Sat 29-Sep-18 10:21:09

PS If you have any savings left, these may interfere with you getting Pension Credit. If that it the case you might do well to spend what remains of your savings on keeping your car on the road. That way you become eligible for benefits and also retain your mobility.

Don't forget that most rural areas have some sort of transport scheme/rural wheels scheme that you can tap into if the car has to go.

Good luck.

cornergran Sat 29-Sep-18 10:24:55

I'm so sorry for your sadness and that you are so worried cathy and can only echo the advice already posted, please contact the CAB or Age Uk without delay, there will be good advice and I hope some help for you. You have voiced and are experiencing a worry many of us share or anticipate. Wishing you well, come back and chat whenever it helps, the early hours can be a desperate time for difficult thoughts. flowers.

chelseababy Sat 29-Sep-18 10:28:53

Just to reiterate what others have said do get a benefit check. In some areas you can have taxi vouchers instead of a bus pass so that might be worth considering. So sorry you have money worries on top of everything else.

Anniebach Sat 29-Sep-18 10:42:30

I have pension credit, your savings will be taken into account , I understand your difficulties , I had to sell my car some years ago. Do see what help you may be entitled to.

Nonnie Sat 29-Sep-18 10:43:32

Good advice already.

I do think you should either find a way to keep your car or move to where there is public transport. If not you will add loneliness to everything else. Do you need 2 bedrooms? You need to factor in the service charges when you buy a flat.

Why not try a lodger, it could work out well. Of course you would have to check references carefully, phone them and have a chat before deciding. The fact that you are considering it probably means that you don't hate the idea of having someone else in your home.

Good luck and I hope it all seems easier this morning.

JudyJudy12 Sat 29-Sep-18 10:49:15

Would you consider selling your property and renting another?

Situpstraight1 Sat 29-Sep-18 11:13:55

I’m so sorry for your loss and the situation you find yourself in.

You don’t say how old you are or if you have any family, but I would certainly try to hang on to your car if possible, are you able to get a part time job? Even a few hours a week would bring in a little extra.

If you have no family to leave your property too then Equity Release might be an option for you.

My SIL has 4 children and they all give her money for gifts rather than presents she doesn’t need. I found out recently that they all pay £20 into her bank account every month, they don’t miss it (fortunately) and it certainly helps her out and if anything happens to her they will have the house.

Do you have a garden? Can you grow your own fruit and veg? Maybe sell your surplus to neighbours.

A friend buys cheap furniture, paints it and sells it online.

Another neighbour walks dogs and looks after animals whilst their owners are away, sometimes in their homes, sometimes she pops in and out during the day.

My hairdresser rents out a room in her house, she usually rents to people who are working locally, for a short period and they go home at weekends.

These are all things that neighbours and friends are doing to help subsidise their pensions as they are unable to access any other help. I’m afraid it means that you have to ‘work’ but at least it might help you to stay in your home.

Best wishes to you.

kittylester Sat 29-Sep-18 11:22:32

I would reiterate getting a benefits check. And, I think you are entitled to a small amount of saving when you are eligible for pension credit.

Luckygirl Sat 29-Sep-18 11:28:08

Here is the pension credit calculator: www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator

"There is no upper capital limit for Pension Credit but you may receive a reduced amount if you have more than £10,000 of capital. For every £500 or part of £500 of capital over £10,000, you'll be treated as having 'deemed income' of £1 a week. This is added to any other income you have, such as a pension."

kittylester Sat 29-Sep-18 11:49:46

Thank you Lucky, I was just looking that up. It's the income your savings are deemed to produce that counts.

I did all this with Mum but had forgotten the nuances.

Liz46 Sat 29-Sep-18 12:02:41

I took in a lodger once and it was fine. I contacted a large fairly local factory and said I had a room and they put me in touch with a young Chinese man. He had his own large room and didn't bother me. We had agreed to take turns in the kitchen but when I smelt his food, I was sorry with this agreement!

Telly Sat 29-Sep-18 13:43:03

As has been suggested - excellent ideas. I would contact your CAB as a first point. I would also consider ways you can add to your income - Babysitting or child minding, pet minding/feeding/walking, student lodging, selling things you no longer need on ebay, cleaning or ironing perhaps? Just some random ideas. Best wishes

Cabbie21 Sat 29-Sep-18 14:55:44

Pension Credit may certainly be an option, if your savings are low enough not to generate an income.
If you are not eligible, have you claimed Council Tax support/ reduction? You will already be entitled to 25% single person discount, but you may get CTR as well.

Are you on the best tariffs for utilities, phone, broadband, insurance, etc? Do you need all your insurances now? Could you maybe reduce your heating bills a bit now? My DH needs more heat than I do, for example, and for more hours. Do you need a landline, or just a mobile?
Mart Lewis’s website MSE is a great place to explore all sorts of ways of saving money.

OldMeg Sat 29-Sep-18 15:05:43

A friend who has financial problems took in a lodger. He’s a family man and drives up early on Monday (occasionally Sunday night) and back to his family on Friday. She finds this works well.

Nannarose Sat 29-Sep-18 16:49:26

Cathy, my heart goes out to you, this is so unfair.
I am completely unclear as how you are in yourself. Are you someone who is still active, able to do some part-time work, or are you struggling? Are you sociable, and what kinds of things do you like?
I wonder if, like many carers, you have almost forgotten amid all the strain and worry.

There are lots of good ideas above, but you need to order them:
1. Minimise out-goings, which really divides into what you can cut down on a day-to-day basis, and more major changes.
2. Up income, you say you've done the benefits checks, then by things like lodgers, or part-time / casual work.
3. Odd things, such as a friend who house-sits, thus earning money and saving on bills.

I would also head over to the Money Saving Expert site, also full of good ideas.

Then I would write the possibilities down - maybe on separate bits of paper, spread them about , and try to have a good clear think. You could make piles like never / possible / wouldn't mind or 'would like to if only...'.
I would certainly contact a good friend or sympathetic relative and say that you need to have a really good talk.

I would definitely do some careful sums, and again, get someone to help you.
I would try not to make a major decision if at all possible until you have been able to have clear think. If you go to gov.uk you can see about declaring your car 'off road' so you don't have to tax it (not sure if this is practical for you).

Through all of this, let yourself grieve, let yourself be angry at being in this position. Then you can face whatever you need to do.

You have been a carer for many years, that gives you a lot of skills and a lot of resilience. I hope that using those, you can find a way to manage this.

bikergran Sat 29-Sep-18 17:17:44

presuming you are eligible for fuel allowance...if not then take a look at the Warm Front Grant (£140)

I was in the similar situation over 4 yrs ago when my dh died. I had to manage on £73 a week jobseekers..I did it somehow ..hope you find some help..

Cathy04 Sun 30-Sep-18 08:56:32

Thank you to everyone for all your replies. I have read every one and don't feel so alone.

First of all I followed the links , the government one and the age concern one and even if my savings had gone I still wouldn't qualify for pension credit. It seems that as I got my pension last year I get the 'new' amount. It seems that the idea is if your pension is under £164 then pension credit will bring it up to that. I am on that.

However needed to visit supermarket yesterday. They have a board advertising for sale etc. There was an advert for cleaning in my village.

When I got home my daughter popped by, totally unexpected as I knew she was working and was going out in the evening. I have tried to put on a brave face since my husband's death as I know it hit her hard. But she caught me having a little weep.
Anyway, told her all. She went through the benefits site and confirmed what I had found. I mentioned the advert, she wasn't horrified. Quite the opposite. She said to go for it, if it doesn't work out so be it. But it may be just what I need.
Broached the idea of renting. Turns out she has a friend who does this and one, who I have met also. She is going to pick their brains.
Anyway, I feel a lot better today. My husband's attitude was always 'glass half full' and never felt sorry for himself. So, onwards and upwards.
Cath

annsixty Sun 30-Sep-18 09:46:16

How very positive you sound today Cath it is good to read and I really wish you well.
My H is going to need residential care very soon and I will find my income diminishing to a great extent.
I have things I can cut down on , but at 81 will find it hard to manage without help in the house and garden.
If I am able to sell the house, half will immediately go towards his care.
I hope your job idea works out for yoù, you have my very best wishes.

jusnoneed Sun 30-Sep-18 10:12:19

Good luck with the job, it will also do you good to get out of the house for a few hours.

Re the lodger idea, do you have any large companies in the area? I know of someone who's hubby works for a company in Manchester, miles from where they live, so he has lodgings Monday night to Thursday and then goes home Fri to Monday morning. If you could do something like that you would still have some alone time rather than feeling someone else was always in the house.

mcem Sun 30-Sep-18 10:51:08

Well done cathy. You are open to explaining, discussing, listening, researching and consulting. Such a positive attitude will surely bring results.
Very best of of luck and please keep in touch to tell us about your achievements!

midgey Sun 30-Sep-18 10:55:23

Good luck with the job, at least you will be out of the house and doing something! The very best of luck to you.