Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Making new will

(32 Posts)
BlueSapphire Thu 14-Feb-19 22:47:41

Appointment with solicitor next week to discuss my new will.
DH died last year and I really do need to make a new will as we had mirror wills.
Our previous wills had a discretionary trust whereby half the house was left to the DC and the other half to the surviving partner (me).
Obviously I now need to make a new will to deal with my half, and am thinking leaving the remainder, one third to DS, one third to DD and the remaining third to be divided between the DGCs.
I have absolutely no idea of whether what I am doing is right and would like some advice before I see the solicitor next week, please, if anyone could be so kind.

grannyticktock Sat 23-Feb-19 08:10:11

Looking at it from the other side, as a widow, I'd have been hurt and upset if my husband had not trusted me enough to leave everything to me. I want to be able to choose freely how to use my assets, and my circumstances may change. I may need to pay for care, or home adjustments, as I get older. I may want to spend on private medical care if the NHS lets me down. If I were to marry again (very unlikely), it would be up to me then to ensure that my children were not deprived of all their inheritance, and that's what I would do.

littleflo Sat 23-Feb-19 09:53:05

I have seen many arguments when money is left to Grandchildren. Unequal numbers, different financial circumstances, new partners with children and more babies born after the Will is made.

It will save a lot of this if everything is divided equally between your children and they are left to pass the money on.

grannyticktock Sat 23-Feb-19 11:18:54

Oh yes, I agree with that, littleflo, even if the grandchildren are adults. If there are several GC, Their ages, needs and circumstances will vary, and more may come along, or step-children be added to the mix. It's likely to cause fewer problems if the parents (our children) are left to spread it down the line as and when they see fit.

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Feb-19 12:11:12

Of course it is entirely up to you, and your solicitor should be able to advise and ensure that your wishes are met in the will. But I agree with those who would opt for a simple equal split between your children. It’s then up to them what they share with their own children, if they have them. Anything else could lead to a child feeling that they’ve been treated differently because they have no/fewer children. Of course you need to stipulate that the share of any child that pre-deceases you goes to their children.

grannyticktock Sun 24-Feb-19 13:58:01

Yes, it is wise to name the children as eventual heirs if the parent dies. If you name a spouse instead, that could be messy if that spouse also dies, or the couple divorce and possibly remarry.

overthehill Thu 28-Feb-19 13:39:00

Our wills left everything to each other then after we both die, to be split 90% between our two children then 10% to my DHs son in Oz (who was adopted by ex wife's husband to allow him to travel out there in 1970). As DH never hears from this son and it would make the split more awkward, he decided to drop him from the will so now any proceeds would be split equally between our two kids.

Anyway as a new will just meant leaving this son off I decided to make up our wills myself by just copying the former ones. Got them witnessed by two people and £400 saved.