Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Shopping Receipts

(48 Posts)
Albangirl14 Mon 03-Jun-19 12:18:40

This weekend I have been overcharged in two shops, Marks and Spencer charged me for 4 Foam Baths when I only bought 3 and that was because it was a 3 for 2 offer. The next day in Waitrose I was charged for 2 packs of apples instead of one. I will go back to the shop and claim my money back but I am annoyed that I have to. Today in Tesco I was asked if I wanted a receipt and I said yes! This is happening at a lot of shops. As we no longer have a bag given to us and if a receipt is not requested we could be accused of shop lifting with no proof of purchase. So keep taking the receipts and keep checking you have been charged correctly.

Auntieflo Mon 03-Jun-19 12:52:14

Albangirl14, so annoying and frustrating having to make extra journeys backwards and forwards.
I always take my receipts, and check them, but do find that the printing fades quite quickly.
Good luck.

toscalily Mon 03-Jun-19 16:35:15

I agree as I am finding more and more shops asking if I want a receipt, and I do. For the reasons you mention but also to be able to check against my monthly statements. I usually do a quick tally, especially at the supermarket and frequently find an error or two, maybe only a few pence but still annoys me especially as you then have to go to the customer service desk to have it rectified, the usual excuse is the price changed overnight and ticket has not been changed! I do think there are a lot of people, dare I say younger who are not so meticulous in checking receipts and bank statements but it is what I have always done.

David0205 Mon 03-Jun-19 19:57:10

Personally I always check the receipt at the till especially multi buys, occasionally there is an error but no system is going to be perfect and errors are going to occur. I actually had problems with a self scan till, that took a while to sort out.
It saves a lot of hassle if you check in the store.

BlueBelle Mon 03-Jun-19 20:30:44

I don’t bother with the receipt in small shops for odds and ends but do if I do a grocery shop or clothes shop

jenpax Mon 03-Jun-19 20:32:30

I am not meticulous in checking receipts! I find I dash around too much, often if I do spot an error the amount I have lost out by would not be recouped by a return to the shop viz extra petrol parking charges etc etc! I agree that checking at the time is best but unfortunately not always practical

blondenana Mon 03-Jun-19 20:39:25

I do try to check mine before i get out of the shop,or as soon as i do, especially Wilkinsons, and my local shop, where often the till hasn;t been updated when things are on offer,they don;t give receipts unless you ask

crazyH Mon 03-Jun-19 20:48:59

Thanks Albangirl for the advce. I am guilty of not hanging on to receipts, or just declining a receipt when it's offered.

annep1 Mon 03-Jun-19 21:02:02

I thought we were being asked because people take the receipts and throw them away creating litter to be swept up ?

Flossie777 Mon 03-Jun-19 21:21:46

Receipts are important, so do check them and if you buy a big purchase especially if electric take a photo with your phone, before it fades.

Sara65 Mon 03-Jun-19 22:13:30

We usually do Waitrose self scanning, and I always look at the receipt when I get home, just to see how many items my husband has managed to scan twice!

Bathsheba Mon 03-Jun-19 22:13:37

I'm trying to remember to use Apple Pay, because it always gives you a receipt which is stored in your 'wallet' app. It's trying to get into the habit of doing it that is the problem ?

It will be so nice, once I've mastered the habit, to be free of all those bits of paper in my purse!

Tangerine Mon 03-Jun-19 23:21:13

I don't like having a receipt emailed to me but many shops seem to want to do this nowadays.

It isn't that I am not computer literate but I just prefer to have a paper receipt instead of a clogged up inbox. I suppose I could start a folder especially for receipts.

David0205 Tue 04-Jun-19 07:19:48

Shops emailing receipts is simply a marketing tool, all shops should offer you a receipt, it’s up to you to decline it. For small items like a cup of coffee it’s not needed but for a supermarket shop it is.

Marydoll Tue 04-Jun-19 07:51:58

I usually refuse an e-receipt, but unusually for me I accepted one from Debenhams last week.
I'm so glad I did, as I've lost the receipt for the expensive hat, I need to rturn tomorrow!

Albangirl14 Tue 04-Jun-19 10:16:08

Thanks fot your responses I do try and check straight away but on a £60 grocery shop that is quite a lot to check before leaving the store.

harrigran Tue 04-Jun-19 10:19:36

I find that I am overcharged frequently, girl on the till scanning perhaps thinks an item hasn't scanned and puts it through again.
I BOGOF for non food items and then find the reduction has not been applied, often too much bother to return and complain, annoying.

floorflock Tue 04-Jun-19 10:22:26

I am glad that you mentioned this as I get maddenningly annoyed if I get asked if I want a receipt.
Of course I do, why woulnd't I?
How can I keep a check of my finances and how much I paid if I don't? It's basic money management surely, yet another thing they clearly don't teach, either at school or at home, it would seem.
I have only been asked about ereceipts at B&Q and they do give you a paper one at the time so I let them email as well.

polnan Tue 04-Jun-19 10:22:51

I do a lot of my shopping at our local Morrisons, (not a large supermarket) and the pricing on the shelves!!! check there also..... I get convinced they do it on purpose!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 04-Jun-19 10:23:33

Waitrose are very good at rectifying mistakes and usually give you your money back and the let you have the item for free. Always take my receipt except for coffee and meals.

Niucla97 Tue 04-Jun-19 10:24:20

I 've been overcharged several times in stores especially Iceland. I often use the self service till so I can check. It's really annoying when you think you have a bargain and you get home to find that you haven't!!

Even some of the self service tills ask do you want a receipt.

I always taught my boys and my two grandchildren to make sure they had a receipt even for the cheapest item.

Craftycat Tue 04-Jun-19 10:38:35

I self scan in Sainsbury's so I can be sure I am not overcharged- to be fair never have been but always cautious.It must be a boring job on the checkouts & they must make mistakes sometimes- don't we all!
I would add keep receipts if you are buying anything large too. I bought a toaster in Sainsbury's & 4 months down one side has stopped working- it had 1 year guarantee so back it went as I had the receipt.

inishowen Tue 04-Jun-19 10:45:26

It seems to be a new thing, being asked if you want a receipt. I always say yes. I check my receipt at home and occasionally find an error. I entered a competition on line this week on toilet rolls. When I read the small print it said "keep the packaging and till receipt". Imagine winning and then finding you haven't kept what they asked for!

evianers Tue 04-Jun-19 11:06:39

We have the same problem here in France. There is a large supermarket near us where 90% of the time we are overcharged. It came to such a drastic situation that we demanded to see the Manager. She firstly told us "it is the fault of the computer"! Yeah, right! We said "the computer is a machine, it cannot think for itself". Finally she apologised and went to fetch a free bottle of Champagne, but this only after we had been overcharged 17 times!!!

Bijou Tue 04-Jun-19 11:08:37

I often find that there is a reduced price on the shelf but are charged the full price at the till.
I keep all my card receipts until I can check them with my bank statement.