Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How much do you spend on clothes in a year?

(203 Posts)
ecci53 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:51:26

Just read on another discussion where someone reckons she is frugal, spending under £150 per year on clothes. That seems like a lot to me.
I spend a lot less than that. Admittedly, I tend to frequent charity shops and jumble sales. I also think ebay is a girl's best friend-buy something nice to wear, and then sell it on when you're fed up with it.
I don't buy clothes every month and I was wondering how much other people spend on clothes in a year.

Millie22 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:30:43

Probably too much. £150 in a year hmmm no.

grandMattie Sun 22-Sep-19 10:31:55

Having been “kept” by my very generous DH all my adult life, I have been frugal. I prob spend a bit over £150 but not much. Perfectly happy with my charity shop and supermarket clothes and undies. DH wouldn’t notice what I wore unless it was a bin liner and masking tape.

Jillybird Sun 22-Sep-19 11:04:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:09:36

I don’t really know how much I spend, never having kept account. I know I wouldn’t get very far on £150 though !

ginny Sun 22-Sep-19 11:10:45

I’ve no idea. I hate shopping ( unless it’s for craft stuff) so only buy if something is needed.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Sep-19 11:12:19

£150 is what I'd spend on a pair of shoes and a bra! I don't buy many clothes - last thing I bought was months and months ago - but shoes and bras are both important to me and hard to fit.

harrigran Sun 22-Sep-19 11:14:08

I spend £150 a year on bras and probably the same again on a couple of tops. I rarely buy shoes, I think the last time was when I was going to the palace in 2009.
When DH was working I had to have a lot of dressy clothes so the budget was sky high, most of those garments are still in my wardrobe.

Juliet27 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:15:47

I begrudge paying full price when sales and 20% discounts are so regular but by not being able to resist a bargain I probably end up buying more than if I bought fewer full price items. My H kindly often asks 'anything to pick up in M&S?' but it's just as often 'anything to take back to M&S?'

sazz1 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:21:08

This year around £300 but that included shoes. Last 3 years less than £50. I tend to do a massive shop about every 3 years and almost all from eBay and charity shops. Can't justify paying high street prices when I can get so much better quality online. For a cruise a few years ago I got a whole wardrobe full of posh clothes, evening dresses, silk tops shoes etc. for £200 then sold most of it back on eBay just keeping a few favourites.

Skweek1 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:28:23

I buy half a dozen t-shirts (£18),2 pairs of leggings (£12), a pair of jeans (£20) and a pair of sandals (£4) annually and a parka (£100) every 3 years. I find that suits me fine. If, for some reason, I need anything else, (generally a skirt or dress for a concert by my choir), it comes from a charity shop and I don't think I've ever spent more than £7.50!). Most of my clothes come from George at Asda or F&F at Tesco.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 22-Sep-19 11:30:05

I think its far more that £150 a year, I don't really keep check. I buy from charity shops, make my own, Fat Face, M&S, White Stuff. I am about to buy a pair of winter leather shoes which will be about £90 I have a clear out every now and again and donate my clothes to the homeless shelter, so its not wasted.

Maw, you made me laugh, why do we do it no idea. I have my own money and bank accounts, Mr B never asks or criticises but I think its because he buys so few clothes, I have two pair of trousers why do I need more man. Mind you he spends a fortune on his running shoes.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:44:52

Blimey I am now feeling extremely guilty £150 that's not even three bras (big boobies).

I was extremely pleased this week as I managed to get two pair of boots on sale in Office that I lusted over last year saving £150

I love clothes and enjoy mooching around clothes shops, if I find something I like and it fits I buy it.

Marmight Sun 22-Sep-19 11:49:55

I haven’t a clue what I spend on clothes. I’m an impulse buyer but can go for weeks buying nothing. I’d imagine it averages at around £100 per month for everything. However if I come home with 4 items I then get rid of 4 to the local charity shop. Only downside is I invariably find a bargain at the Chazzer so have to go through the process all over again.... Why is it that I wear the same clothes all the time and most things hang in the wardrobe worn maybe a couple of times a year? This has only happened since I was widowed; I’m sure a psychiatrist would come up with a number of reasons for this behaviour ?

glammanana Sun 22-Sep-19 11:51:39

Since I have retired I have not bought anything that would make a difference to my wardrobe,I live in jeans/jeggings and nice tops which I have had for years and if you buy quality pieces they will last a very long time.
I have not bought a new coat for 5 years after getting such a bargain on e-bay a classic wrap around which will come out again this winter.
The most I will spend this year is possibly £100 on underwear/pj's when Tu have their 25% discount sale.

Mimidl Sun 22-Sep-19 11:53:44

Oh dear! I spend more than that monthly -
I bought another pair of boots last week and when I put them away realised I had 15 pairs in all different colours and lengths!! ?
Shoes and bags I’m worse, and when I find a pair of trousers that fits me properly I’ll buy lots of them as I’m quite fussy with length, leg width etc.
Oh, and umbrellas!!! I can’t resist an unusual umbrella ?

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:59:50

I don’t really get the handbag thing, I just use one till it wears out/I’m fed up with it, can’t be doing with changing handbags every five minutes.

Cambia Sun 22-Sep-19 12:01:43

I KNOW I spend £1500 a year on clothes because I enter them up on my budget and it tells me the total amount! I buy lots off eBay and love charity shops but I do love clothes. I do recycle twice a year and anything not worn goes to charity, so I am doing my bit there! How can anyone only spend £150 a year. Bras are £30 a time (strange size), good trainers to run in are around the £80 mark and although my boots last me years, they are usually around £100.

Will try harder next year!

Stella14 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:15:50

Probably £1500 a year, possibly a bit more. I tend to stick with natural fibres and they are more expensive than synthetic. I also really like Seasalt, and although with every other range, I only buy when there is a discount, if I really like something at Seasalt, I just have to bite the bullet and pay full price or it will probably be gone. Also, I have arthritis in my feet, so I have to buy Birkenstock or Fitflops footwear.

sodapop Sun 22-Sep-19 12:16:31

You are indeed frugal ecci53 that's quite an achievement. If we are including shoes and underwear then my spending is much more than that.
Clothing in France is expensive and not really to my taste so I shop online or splurge when I visit UK. I used to enjoy clothes shopping and could spend all day in the shops but not any more, I find it tiresome. I dislike shopping with others as well as I feel guilty if they are waiting while I try things on.

Witzend Sun 22-Sep-19 12:37:28

Goodness, it will vary a lot, but I'm sure more than £150 a year. I tend to buy things only when I could really do with them, or see something I particularly like - but only if I know I'll wear it a lot.
So e.g. I might buy quite a few summer things one year, but carry on wearing them for several years. The several pairs of cotton/linen summer trousers I've been living in for the past few months are at least 3 years old.

I can't buy cheap shoes (difficult feet!) but do tend to keep them a long time. Someone on the bus asked me recently where I'd got my yellow loafer-type shoes - I could tell her it was Russell Bromley but had to add that it was over 4 years previously!

I tend to buy reasonably good quality and wear things to death.

I have just one pair of winter boots, nice leather, still fine after maybe 10 years - obv. they've been re-soled and heeled, as well as polished with proper wax polish.

It's probably relevant that I don't go shopping for fun! Don't enjoy it at all. I tend to buy online now, if I know the company and the fit. Seasalt is one I use, but only for tops.

GabriellaG54 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:41:25

In last 2 weeks I spent £550.90 but I didget a lot for my outlay. blush

1 chiffon midi dress £34.99
1 knitted winter jumper £24.99
1 100% silk blouse £79.99
2 tie detail linen tops £12.99 each
1 mock-croc waist belt bag £17.99
All H&M

2 prs suede ankle boots in ochre and black £49.99 each
2 prs vegan 'suede' ankle boots in dk red and navy £45 each.
Aviator jacket £69
Ochre/blk midi dress £49.99
1 pale pink tencel shirt £29.99
3 prs different coloured 60 denier winter tights £9
I grey furry zipped robe £28
All M&S

I've left out my Primark shop which was under £10 for leggings n socks.

Madmaggie Sun 22-Sep-19 13:01:35

I couldn't manage on 150. After trying other cheaper brands I've returned to m&s underwear because I can guarantee the fit. I need extra wide shoes so have to pay more even in sales. I returned to work for one half day a week and found myself having to buy some good tops & trousers because of their dress code (again, sale offers) but they will dress up or down with a scarf or necklace. Everything I buy now has to work hard & be reduced preferably. I avoid impulse buys now. My sil lost weight and kindly gave me some nice things.

Craftycat Sun 22-Sep-19 13:20:54

No idea but if I see something I like I'll buy it. My problem is I can't throw things away so I have bulging wardrobes full of things I may never wear again.
At a rough guess maybe £600-700.

Tigertooth Sun 22-Sep-19 13:23:43

I spend about £100 a month in clothes.

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Sep-19 13:23:55

If you buy something new every week or month where do you keep it all? On the radio it stated an average woman wears a new clothes item 5 times before discarding it!! I found that very hard to believe.