Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Food shopping

(29 Posts)
SallyB392 Fri 25-Oct-19 11:27:53

Am I the only one who struggles to average less than £100 a week for food etc., for my husband and myself, and our medium sized dog?

I cook from scratch, and admittedly there are some (but not all), branded products, and we opt for the healthier products like whole meal pasta which are not available as a 'value range', but we waste very little. I've found that fruit and veg are no longer the cheap ingredients that they used to be, and as for fish, well I won't go there.

I have a friend who claims that she only spends £25 - 30 a week for the same household size, and its got me thinking......what do you spend?

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 22:23:37

I don't know what we spend on food, possibly £300-400. I buy mostly fresh fish meat fruitand veg.
I have started trying to buy as we use as we were throwing a lot of food out. I don't like waste. And I try to find best prices - I will shop in different shops for particular items.

Franbern Mon 25-Nov-19 19:57:07

I have lived by myself for a long time, enjoy food, and do have three meals a day. Brekkie is cereal (porridge in winter and branflakes in summer), lunch is usually something with eggs. I slice of toast (good quality bread), with half a tin of low salt, etc baked beans topped with a couple of poached eggs, cost about 60p. Other days I may just have a couple of boiled eggs with a slice of bread. Sometimes in the winter I make up a whole lot of soup, which I have with a roll. All of these lunches work out well under a £1 each and take just a few minutes to prepare.
Tea is my main meal of the day and I have fish with salad or couple of pieces of chicken breast or drumstick, again with salad. Never purchase ready made salads, make up my own and with careful storage only need to buy once a week. sometimes I will boil up a few potatoes to mash. Once a week I have one of my daughters over after work for chat and tea, so will splash out a little more then. Home made shepherds pie, or fish pie type of thing. If I fancy a dessert it is usually a yoghurt.
Stopped buying fresh veg years ago - only like shopping once a week. Find frozen are easier and fresher. Not too keen on fruit, maybe the occasional banana.
I eat healthy and well, but reckon that food should cost me no more than a maximum of a fiver a day and I do not shop in Lidl or Aldi, do not like them - continue with Sainsbury. Obviously my weekly shop does include all toiletries etc. and I reckon on spending somewhere between £40- £45 per week. Only on very rare occasions can I use the £50 plus voucher!!!

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 20:02:11

We probably spend 40 or 50 a week. 2 adults, darling grandson and 2 cats. I'm VERY mean with groceries tho. No luxuries.