Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

66 and not paid any national ins stamps

(57 Posts)
Chloejo Wed 20-Nov-19 20:26:34

I wonder if anyone can offer advice. my cousin has always worked in spain but has not paid uk national ins stamps. He wants to come home to the uk where he was born he wont be entitled to a state pension. would he be able to get any help here? he is entitled to Spanish pension which is very low. He is very worried now I know he has been foolish and should have paid national ins if you can do that.

chelseababy Mon 13-Jan-20 10:54:44

I think he will have to pass the habitual residence test before he'll get anything

notanan2 Mon 13-Jan-20 10:58:13

I also think that benefits given in the uk should be equivalent to that in their home country only

You do realise that for many immigrants in the UK, that would mean getting MORE than brits?

Caramac Mon 13-Jan-20 11:50:09

I wonder if he is moving back because of Brexit? I’m sure he will get some benefits but it does seem harsh on those who have paid into the system all their working lives. Really I think he should be treated as a Spanish immigrant would be.
@Ellanvannin I recall in the 1980’s as a mother of young children, I had a few crappy part time jobs around childcare but never earned enough to pay NI. I looked into paying a small amount into a private pension but was told at that time it was illegal.

Nannarose Mon 13-Jan-20 13:14:17

Caramac and Ellanvannin - your experiences show why so many women have ended up with poor pensions.

Ellanvannin, I know your employer was wrong, but I know some employers (or their clerical staff) told married women that to make the paperwork easier - even though it was quite legal for you to walk down the road to the Post Office and buy your NI stamp over the counter!
And Caramac, from 1978, mothers of children under 12 (16 I think initially, later 12) were credited with NI contributions. Have you looked at your pension forecast?
I cannot think why you were told that paying into a private pension was illegal! I did exactly that from my part-time earnings.

GrannySomerset Mon 13-Jan-20 13:20:50

My experience was that as a part-timer I wasn’t eligible for employers’ schemes. Didn’t pay a full NI contribution until I worked full-time once younger child was 13. Paid as much in voluntary NI as I was allowed but still don’t get a full state pension. Lots of my generation will find themselves in a similar position, I am sure.

Chardy Mon 13-Jan-20 14:04:31

Perhaps, due to Brexit, quite few ex-pats will be back to the land of their birth.
I too am horrified by the Waspi women's plight (my younger sisters both badly hit, I was hit for 2.5yrs). But children of the Windrush generation who were brought to UK as small children, worked and paid taxes here all their lives, but were threatened or actually sent back to a country they don't remember, where they gave no family, that to me is also an obscenity.