Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

strange email from paypal

(27 Posts)
Fennel Sun 12-Jan-20 11:47:30

I have a paypal account which I rarely use. Last Thursday I had an email from them saying my account has been blocked because of some dubious activity. It also said to logon to find out what to do.
Rather stupidly I tried to logon, and only husband's email address came up, so I told him and he said it's a scam!
Very puzzling, I last used it a few weeks ago for a donation to a USA charity and received an email of thanks from them. But it never came out of my bank account. I've rung the bank about it.
Just a warning to others about these internet scams.

Riverdance888 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:05:09

Beware is the buzz word here. Never open anything you think may be suspicious. Take a few moments and take down the email address it came from and contact the sender, i.e. in this case Paypal. They will very quickly tell you whether or not it is legit. I have been hacked through paypal a few years ago and I never even received a mail from them. Someone had just gone in, got my card number off of their database and gone on a shopping spree. I did get my money back but it took time. So, really, we should always check because anyone that is legit will never ask us to 'log in or sign in'