Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Do I need a landline?

(91 Posts)
Daddima Wed 04-Mar-20 19:28:05

Since the Bodach died I’ve been reviewing my finances, and I’m paying BT £102 per month for landline, broadband, my mobile, and BT Sport ( £22.50 which will definitely be going!)
Sons are asking why I need a landline, and I must admit that all I seem to get on it are calls from Microsoft and similar trying to con me out of money. Has anyone else done away with their landline, but can still get broadband?

pinkquartz Wed 04-Mar-20 19:31:57

I use PlusNet for Phone and Broadband and pay £33. I don't need a mobile as I hardly ever leave my home so I need a landline.
Daddima you are paying too much.
When you get rid of the SPort and change provider you will save a lot of money

BradfordLass73 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:40:47

I pay £35 a month for my landline and Broadband/fibre but I can't see a mobile any longer so it's not an option for communications.
My son did put a voice-operated system on it for me which helps me send texts but that doesn't help with icons and controls!

If there is any chance your eyes might not cope later on, keep your landline. After the necessary deductions, it may not be too bad.

CanadianGran Wed 04-Mar-20 19:54:01

Fewer and fewer are using landlines now. If you live in an area with cell disruptions you may want to keep it, otherwise it is an added expense. I'm wondering why we keep ours sometimes, but there are a few people that still call it.

SalsaQueen Wed 04-Mar-20 20:00:19

I like having a landline. I'm with Sky, and for the landline and broadband, I pay £27 a month. I can make calls to any landline, at any time of day/night, for up to 1 hour at a time, FREE.

My mobile is with 3 and costs £17, for limitless texts. I make a few calls on it and use Google now and then.

I don't like sports and don't spend much time watching the tv, so I bought a FreeSat box (about £80 I think, from Amazon)

boheminan Wed 04-Mar-20 20:06:49

Both my partner and I don't have and don't want a mobile phone, so the landline phone is our lifeline. I do worry what will happen if landlines are phased out. I feel we're being forced into getting a mobile phone. At the moment I pay around £32 for landline and broadband.

tanith Wed 04-Mar-20 20:18:21

I have BT landline with broadband I’d willingly get rid of my landline which I hardly use but I want to hang on to my BT broadband so I have to keep paying for the line it’s very expensive.

Davidhs Wed 04-Mar-20 20:32:01

Landline is often free for most U.K. calls, you pay for the line connection and broadband, extras include sport, TV and other services. Around £30 for the basic package.

Mobiles can be expensive if you browse the Internet a lot, or if you have an older phone, sim only packages start around £10 a month. I rarely use my landline phone, the mobile is the number I always quote, broadband I use quite a lot for all sorts of things.

FlexibleFriend Wed 04-Mar-20 20:34:19

They used to say we needed a landline for sky and virgin but I don't think you do anymore, not sure you ever did but it was a con they got away with.

MerylStreep Wed 04-Mar-20 20:36:07

The last time I had a landline was 2004.

MerylStreep Wed 04-Mar-20 20:41:03

FlezableFriend
We are with Virgin and refuse point blank to have a landline.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Mar-20 20:43:08

I have kept my landline but like you keep thinking I don’t really need it I have only two friends who ring me on the landline I pay about £27 a month and hang on to it fir the broadband with EE and then about £24 for my mobile with free texts etc
How do you get broadband without a landline ?

FlexibleFriend Wed 04-Mar-20 21:37:30

Hence "used to say"

rosenoir Wed 04-Mar-20 21:38:58

I have a landline as my package with Virgin is cheaper with it.

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Mar-20 21:47:07

I am with Plusnet and pay around £16 a month for phone and broadband.

Davidhs Wed 04-Mar-20 21:49:17

The cheapest landline is with pay as you go phone, unlimited calls are £5 extra (BT) so don’t plug a phone in it won’t cost anything.

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 08:16:41

Mobile reception is too unreliable in our area to dispense with our landline.

I prefer to have both and keep mobile only for friends and family. It really infuriates me when my phone goes when I am out and it is some advertising call. All business calls, for online shopping, energy companies etc go to the landline, likewise all the scam/spam messages - and they are frequent.

Personally, I loathe using mobile phones for anything but phone calls and text messages, although I do use google maps. The minute size of the screen, sub-letterbox size and I find the keyboard frustrating. I have limited feeling in my finger tips on my right hand and getting the right pressure on the screen, whether typing or erying to navigate the system is frustrating.

Brahumbug Tue 26-May-20 17:08:10

If you have a good 4g signal then you don't need a landline for internet. We have homefi from Three which uses the 4g, £22.5 a month for unlimited internet.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-20 17:34:18

You’re paying an awful lot, Daddima. Our Plusnet charge for the landline and unlimited broadband is £23 a month (which goes up to £33 after 18 months), and my mobile sims only deal (Tesco), for more data, calls and texts than I’ll ever need is £7.50.

We only need the landline for two people who use pay-as-you-go and say it’s too dear to ring us on our mobiles.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-May-20 17:35:20

I’ve just noticed that this is an old thread, so you’re probably all sorted now with a cheaper deal. smile

Clio51 Tue 18-Aug-20 13:33:09

Your paying to much

Are you confident enough to ring them and tell them your paying to much and can not now afford it ?

We have Bt
We have Bt sport, highest internet fibre 2 and landline after 6pm and weekend free calls
I did it for us at £42 mth for 18mths

I just rang up and said I can’t afford current price
They said let me see what we can do

An awful lot of people just keep paying what there told, never ringing them up or going on a price comparison site
For things like
House insurance
Car insurance
Gas/electric

They just accept the price, or stick with one company because they think it’s the best. Most insurance companies use the big named ones as underwriters anyway

You could save hundreds
You just need to make the effort

Jaxjacky Tue 18-Aug-20 14:14:21

No landline phone for 12 years, both of us mobile only. Pay Sky for broadband and Sport (includes landline rental to BT as Sky use it, still on copper). I’d be bereft without my mobile!

polnan Wed 19-Aug-20 09:35:59

I thought we had no option but to pay the BT landline fee,,
I pay through Plusnet, the annual fee for the landline, around £200 I think it is,, then Plusnet £16.50 a month covers the landline calls, (not mobile calls) as many as a like, though I am not a phone freak, praps I am a phone freak, I am not comfortable speaking on the phone..

I have freesat tv... (we can`t get freeview here) just have to buy the box..

and I do have two mobile phones, one very ancient, and one inherited from deceased husband,, (a simple one) I hate texting.... I do not like mobiles at all, but occasionally I have to use it.. I use GiffGaff for the mobiles, pay as I use, I have a £10 float which is automatically topped up when below £3.00

oh the plusnet covers my broadband, I love my computer and emails..

so I pay out the annual fee for the landline, which I understand is compulsory,,

£16.50 a month, and whatever use I put the mobiles to, which is negligible

seacliff Wed 19-Aug-20 09:42:10

I like talking on a "proper" phone, instead of my mobile especially for long chats. However we pay a lot of money for phone, broadband etc. We have been tied to BT as we are out in the sticks, with terribly low BB speed, and no other option.

However finally we are getting fibre broadband, so when that is all working, I will be shopping around. I might then decide to ditch the landline, depending on costs.

Liz46 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:48:47

I prefer to speak with my daughters on the landline. One of them in particular is busy so when she is on her mobile, I find it difficult to understand her as she does jobs and forgets to hold the phone steady!