Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Stocks & Shares ISA versus Fund Account

(7 Posts)
Debutante Mon 22-Jun-20 09:28:34

Hi All
Anyone with experience of investing please? What with the way the interest rates are going I’m thinking I need to try something else. Since my income isn’t enough to have to worry about tax I’m thinking a Stocks & Shares Isa may not be the right product for me. I was looking on the Hargreaves & Lansdowne website and specifically at their Funds accounts, there are several options and it all looks a bit daunting. Can anyone give me any advice please? I would be most grateful ....

Wibby Sun 28-Jun-20 11:37:36

I personally wouldnt risk losing my capital in stocks and shares especially with whats going on around us. I would want something that isnt a risk with interest. Have you looked at fixed rate bonds? I have them you can choose how long you want them for and have the interest paid into your bank account ( HSBC) each month, I do it that way as it boosts my monthly pension a bit. I do yearly ones so my money isnt tied up.

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Jun-20 12:55:10

It is probably a good time to buy stocks and shares as they will be lower in price I understand but I know little about it! Maybe do it through a financial advisor ??

Davidhs Sun 28-Jun-20 14:02:54

It all depends on your risk anxiety, stocks and shares are low a present, who knows if they will go lower, on the other hand you have to buy at some time if you are going to benefit. Over the long term, 5 yrs plus they should make a return but no guarantees.

If you only want low risk tell your advisor and he will recommend appropriate investments.

MawB Sun 28-Jun-20 14:28:02

Sock under the bed is probably no worse than any. ? £$€

jeanie99 Wed 01-Jul-20 03:05:46

You need good advice if committing funds to stocks and shares if you have no understanding of how the funds work.
I'm sure I read somewhere that dividends are not being paid in some funds due to the virus.
There is always a risk so you need to decide if you are low, medium or a high risk taker.

Brahumbug Mon 13-Jul-20 22:28:49

I have an investment sticks and shares ISA with Nutmeg. Easy to use with low charges and you can select the level of risk that you are comfortable with.