Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

WASPI appeal fails

(78 Posts)
Pantglas2 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:01:08

Just read that this appeal has failed on all grounds.

I’m one of those affected by the increase in pension age from 60 to 65 and then 66, but not surprised by this ruling. I assume we’ll have to lump it!

Buntie123 Tue 15-Sep-20 11:04:44

that is sad news, but Im not surprised. I cant work due to ill health and have to still wait 50 weeks two days until I get my pension.

Spending money left is £3.74 a week after bills and food!

Chewbacca Tue 15-Sep-20 11:05:35

I thought this would happen too Pantglas. Mine was put back to 65.5 and my friend's is 67.

paddyanne Tue 15-Sep-20 11:29:28

Not unexpected ,but hundreds of millions have been handed to Bojo's mates for contracts for things they cant supply.Its how its going to be for the forseeable future ....

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 11:30:55

paddyanne

Not unexpected ,but hundreds of millions have been handed to Bojo's mates for contracts for things they cant supply.Its how its going to be for the forseeable future ....

That's irrelevant.

Chewbacca Tue 15-Sep-20 11:40:53

I know you like to grasp every opportunity to have a pop "at Westminster" paddyann but I'm not sure what that has to do with WASPI? confused

Doodledog Tue 15-Sep-20 11:44:46

It’s not irrelevant to the millions who were plunged into poverty by the decision to change women’s pension date.

It is supposedly happening because ‘we can’t afford it’ so contracts giving £millions to tiny numbers of people become even more relevant when considered in the light of this.

I will be interested to see how much media coverage the story gets, and how much (if any) discussion of CEDAW, or a more general overview of the historical discrimination against women we hear. I’m guessing very little- which will feed into the shallow interpretation of the call for ‘equalisation’ as being ‘fair’.

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 11:48:33

It is irrelevant because there isn't a pot of money which has to be spent somewhere and somebody has to make a choice between WASPI women and contracts for cronies.

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 11:54:18

Doodledog

It’s not irrelevant to the millions who were plunged into poverty by the decision to change women’s pension date.

It is supposedly happening because ‘we can’t afford it’ so contracts giving £millions to tiny numbers of people become even more relevant when considered in the light of this.

I will be interested to see how much media coverage the story gets, and how much (if any) discussion of CEDAW, or a more general overview of the historical discrimination against women we hear. I’m guessing very little- which will feed into the shallow interpretation of the call for ‘equalisation’ as being ‘fair’.

No, it's happening because WASPI women don't have a legal case.

PS. I'm a WASPI woman too and I my income doesn't match my outgoings, so I would benefit greatly from a U-turn, but I knew it wouldn't happen.

It might have been different, if they hadn't decided to be so greedy. There was a case for backtracking on the changes to the benefit system which happened at the same time as the changes to the pensions system. Returning to the former eligibility for Working Tax Credit/Universal Credit would benefit those people (men and women) in poverty, but the WASPI women dismissed means-tested support out of hand because they wouldn't have benefitted.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Sep-20 11:58:08

Disgraceful isn't it ?
I've lost out on two pensions !

1) My late husband's earnings tagged on to my pension.
2) Late husbands Merchant Navy pension.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Sep-20 11:59:37

Nobody pointed these things out in 1994 when he died and I didn't know about these claims.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Sep-20 12:05:19

I was only receiving £54 widows pension at the time and was forced to return to work just 2 weeks after he'd died !

What have I got to thank this country for ? Or anyone for that matter. It was hard graft that kept my head above water, so the savings took a battering when I took myself ( out of spite ) to Oz for 3 months.

vampirequeen Tue 15-Sep-20 12:08:32

No surprise. Money for ordinary people or money for the rich/cronies. No competition as far as this government is concerned.

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 12:14:40

How old were you EllanVannin? Why shouldn't you have worked?

Sorry, but I never expected to benefit from a husband's pension.

Doodledog Tue 15-Sep-20 13:17:46

No, nor did I (and whilst I am in the age group for WASPI, I do not identify with them - in fact I resent the way the term has become shorthand for 50s-born women.

I do, however, feel that the systemic discrimination that women of my generation (and previous ones) suffered is grounds for their getting pensions at an earlier age than men. It is not about affordability (as the current splurging if cash has shown), and I detest means-testing for all sorts of reasons.

Emelle Tue 15-Sep-20 13:27:50

Can I just make clear that WASPI did not bring this case - it was backed by the group Back to 60. Back to 60 were looking for the State Pension Age to go back to 60 and Full Restitution for all those concerned - men and women. However, I do feel that the way 50s born women and men have been treated is despicable and there should be some form of compensation,which I believe is the WASPi ask. Whilst not badly affected by this, I will continue to suppport the cause because it highlights the way women are still treated as second class citizens in the 21st Century and I have daughters and granddaughters who deserve better!

Jane10 Tue 15-Sep-20 13:42:23

I'm with the WASPI request. There was no chance of us going back to a retirement age of 60 but those of us post 1953 Grans who lost out with little or no warning should have some compensation.

Jane10 Tue 15-Sep-20 13:44:23

PS I received a letter 'inviting' (!) me to apply for my State pension later this year. Hallelujah. About time too. 6 years late. angry

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 13:52:38

Jane10

I'm with the WASPI request. There was no chance of us going back to a retirement age of 60 but those of us post 1953 Grans who lost out with little or no warning should have some compensation.

I agree with you about the 2011 change, but few people made a fuss at the time. It was announced at the same time as massive changes to the state pension, which has increased the default pension. I bothered to read the small print, but other people didn't. I knew I'd lose my SERPs entitlement and the years I'd paid into occupational pensions schemes in return for a higher basic pension, but nobody cared. I also knew about the changes to benefits entitlement, which has affected many men and women over the age of 60, but nobody cared about that either. There was so much virtual foot stomping from the outraged that the real effects were overlooked.

If the WASPI women had concentrated on some form of mitigation/compensation for men and women who had their pension ages raised at short notice in 2011, I think they might have stood a chance of success.

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 13:55:09

Emelle

Can I just make clear that WASPI did not bring this case - it was backed by the group Back to 60. Back to 60 were looking for the State Pension Age to go back to 60 and Full Restitution for all those concerned - men and women. However, I do feel that the way 50s born women and men have been treated is despicable and there should be some form of compensation,which I believe is the WASPi ask. Whilst not badly affected by this, I will continue to suppport the cause because it highlights the way women are still treated as second class citizens in the 21st Century and I have daughters and granddaughters who deserve better!

But making it an identity politics issue means the legal argument was lost.

Yes, I agree that women still don't have equality, but that's not what the legal argument was about.

Ellianne Tue 15-Sep-20 14:02:23

It had to happen at some point, that's life. Like other things, it's always seen as unfair by those affected and I can understand.
However, I'm later than the WASPI women, so should I too feel aggrieved? What is the difference? I can't change it. My attitude is one of acceptance, that's just how it is.

growstuff Tue 15-Sep-20 14:04:16

Doodledog

No, nor did I (and whilst I am in the age group for WASPI, I do not identify with them - in fact I resent the way the term has become shorthand for 50s-born women.

I do, however, feel that the systemic discrimination that women of my generation (and previous ones) suffered is grounds for their getting pensions at an earlier age than men. It is not about affordability (as the current splurging if cash has shown), and I detest means-testing for all sorts of reasons.

But there has been all sorts of research. Women from 60-66/67 are on average not poor. Their disposable income is on average higher than some very old people and the majority of working people. That's because on average they have lower housing costs and, if they're not working, they're not paying National Insurance.

If women from 60-66/7 were given a lump sum, there would be a justified outcry from men and younger people, including those born on or after 1 January 1960. That's the main reason that it's my opinion that it would be unfair to give money to people who on average need it less than others.

I am well aware of the flaws in talking about averages, which is why I think those genuinely in need should be supported by the benefit system, as over 60s were to an extent before the 2011 changes.

Ellianne Tue 15-Sep-20 14:12:17

If women from 60-66/7 were given a lump sum, there would be a justified outcry from men and younger people, including those born on or after 1 January 1960. That's the main reason that it's my opinion that it would be unfair to give money to people whoon averageneed it less than others.
Exactly what I meant, though said better!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Sep-20 14:20:55

I had to wait until I was 63 to get my pension. I was born in 1953. But I knew about the situation - it was mentioned in the newspapers and we were told at work by the Payroll people. I have never let felt down. Anyway, surely it’s only fair that men and women get their pensions at the same age?

Pantglas2 Tue 15-Sep-20 14:23:12

Do you lose SERPS Growstuff?

I don’t (such as it is for a part timer) as it showed on my 2017 pension forecast - they also showed my COPE figure which should have been (but wasn’t) covered by my private pension supplier.

Regardless, I’m another who was aware of the 60>65 increase announced in the mid nineties, but had the 65>66 sprung on me with only 10 years notice which I believe isn’t long enough (for men or women) to replace that £9000+ through investment.