Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Moral guidance please, should we claim benefits just because we can?

(147 Posts)
JanetG Mon 25-Jan-21 08:12:49

I am in my early 70s and have incurable ovarian cancer. My husband and I live comfortably and he is managing the extra household bits and pieces quite well at the moment. I am still well enough to enjoy life most of the time and am having chemotherapy with the hope of giving me extra symptom controlled time in this world.
My dilemma is that apparently we are entitled to claim attendance allowance as I am terminally ill, but we do not actually need extra help and the only extra costs at the moment are regular trips to hospital. It would feel wrong to take money that we don’t absolutely need, but I’ve been told, “but you’re entitled to it”.
I thought we paid into the system to help those in real need not to grab it back for ourselves just because we can.
Any thoughts please.

Daisyboots Mon 25-Jan-21 22:24:02

JanetG I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I know you say you are comfortably off but you never know whether at sometime your husband might put his back out or something which makes it difficult to do the household chores etc. So do claim it. You never know when you might need extra help. It's quite simple to claim and with the DS1500 form filled in by your oncologist at least half the booklet doesnt have to be completed and within a few weeks the money is in your bank account. I too have terminal cancer and although we can manage I have claimed AA because it means that should my husband not feel well enough to drive me to hospital I could get a taxi instead. In fact the first payment was in my bank account before I received the letter from the DWP.

Just one incorrect thing said by a few people is that you can claim Carers allowance. Unfortunately if you are in receipt of the state pension you are not entitled to Carers Allowance. My Mother came to live with us some years ago and she then expected me to give up work as I was coming up to 60 and could claim my state pension. I was told to claim for Carers allowance too but not so. Once you receive state pension you cannot claim Carers allowance.

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 22:34:56

There are hundreds of millions of £ lying uncliamed because some elderly folk think its shameful to ask for help.Please take it ,you dont see MP's refusing expenses or rises so why should you refuse help when you need it .As others have said if its spent on treats theen thats fins as its all about making life better for you .I wish you all the best for the coming year

Pammie1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:16:51

@Caragran. Attendance Allowance has a relatively low take up rate now that PIP has replaced it for working age people. As with PIP, it’s there to support disabled people who incur extra living expenses. Disabled people are among the lowest paid in the country and some disabilities incur massive extra living costs. Most people who are genuinely entitled to disability benefits rely on them to be able to make ends meet, rather than claiming them just because they can.

Deedaa Tue 26-Jan-21 14:23:23

From experience I would say claim everything that you are entitled to because you never know what the future holds. Circumstances change and you may be very glad of the extra money. Some benefits depend on what you are already claiming and you may find that you miss out on something because you aren't claiming attendance allowance.

Pammie1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:24:09

@JanetG. You’re correct in that carers allowance is not payable if you’re in receipt of state pension, and I think it’s important to clarify that this rule also applies to any state benefit which is considered as income replacement such as Employment and Support Allowance. If you’re in receipt of Universal Credit or Income Support, carers allowance is calculated and payable in the form of carer’s credit in addition to basic entitlement.

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:31:26

Janet, I do understand where you are coming from and your attitude is admirable.
But you never know if you may need the money further down the line.
If you feel uncomfortable claiming it why don’t you put it in a separate account and give instructions on what to do with it if it’s never needed? Then you will have covered your back and could benefit others later.
?

Pammie1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:32:50

@win. If you have terminal cancer the claim is fast tracked and the higher rate of care is awarded automatically.

Ellie666 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:39:54

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD. You paid your taxes when you were both working didn't you? Everyone could do with a bit extra money who-ever you are regardless of coping on what you have now. You paid into the system for yourself in old age not other people. I'd rather see extra money go to people who have put into the system rather than the loafers who scrounge every single thing they can and I could name quite a few where I live.

Ellie666 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:42:38

Carers allowance affects the person the money is being paid to NOT the person claiming it.

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jan-21 18:30:51

I don't think you can claim the benefit carers allowance is connected to if the person you are caring for is over 65 anyway, you have to apply for attendance allowance

Bucks Wed 27-Jan-21 19:07:03

I think you need to check the details. I believe you have to have confirmation from your doctor that you have less then six months to live or you have other qualifying difficulties. Check online or with your local CAB.

Riverwalk Thu 28-Jan-21 13:50:07

Ellie666 if you think my post was 'a very stupid remark to make' then you should say so on the thread.

Not send me a Private Message - that's not what the facility is for.

Tigerdove Thu 28-Jan-21 14:55:32

Incorrect information is worse than no information. Posters please stop posting what you think or believe to be the rules.

Why would the age of the person being cared for be relevant? The Carer can claim Carers Allowance if they are under pension age, earn less than £168.00 per week and care for the person 35 hours per week.

On the DS1500 form the GP only states the diagnosis and does NOT state how long they expect the patient to live. Very few doctors would be prepared to make such a statement.

JaneJudge Thu 28-Jan-21 15:13:00

I couldn't remember why but it's affected by state pension, this from the gov website and the OP said her husband is 70.

If you get State Pension
You cannot get the full amount of both Carer’s Allowance and your State Pension at the same time.

If your pension is £67.25 a week or more, you will not get a Carer’s Allowance payment.

If your pension is less than £67.25 a week, you’ll get a Carer’s Allowance payment to make up the difference.

If you get Pension Credit
If your State Pension is more than £67.25 a week, you will not get a Carer’s Allowance payment but your Pension Credit payments will increase instead.

If you’ve deferred your State Pension, the income you would get from it is included when working out if you’re eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

The best thing to do is get in touch with ageuk tbh or a carers charity as they will have someone who is an expert on the benefits system.

welbeck Thu 28-Jan-21 15:46:23

there bis some misleading information in these comments.
the weekly income limit for carer's allowance claim is £128. it will not be paid to people of pensionable age.
there must be 35 a week care given. and the person who is being cared for must be in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit.
but the OP's question was about her claiming attendance allowance, which she should certainly do.

JaneJudge Thu 28-Jan-21 15:54:07

I completely agree, she should smile

Nanananana1 Sun 31-Jan-21 09:52:50

JanetG you are a star! Thank you for reminding us all that we pay into a system that is not just there for ourselves but to help others who are less fortunate. Not just out of being kind but because it makes sense. If we help those who are struggling it makes a better world for all of us.
Your thoughts are admirable but as others suggest you may need more help one day and it is better to get those dreadful forms filled now. You can always donate to a food bank or local charity that helps people directly and use the funds for yourselves when the need arises

SecondhandRose Sun 31-Jan-21 09:57:23

Of course you should claim. That’s what it is for. Use it for taxis, takeaways, a cleaner, flowers in the house or garden.

Notright Sun 31-Jan-21 16:01:38

I would claim it. We don't know how much actually gets to the needy. I would contact local organisations for people who are struggling to feed their children and give the money specifically for that purpose. I'm sure it would give you pleasure knowing that you helped someone with money you feel you don't need.

scourw Mon 01-Feb-21 02:47:21

If you don't need it now, you could maybe claim it and donate to somewhere like Macmillans or any other charity, with the knowledge that, if you do need it at a later date, it's there when you might not have the strength or will to jump through all the hoops to get it. All best wishes for better health.

Harmonypuss Tue 02-Feb-21 04:01:49

So sorry to hear about your terrible dx but may I point out that some of the advice given goes totally against the purpose of AA.

It is not intended for "luxuries" or to be "donated" elsewhere, it is given to help those who NEED extra support to pay for ESSENTIAL assistance with everyday tasks.

You do say that you and your husband are managing well both physically and financially at the moment, so I would suggest holding off on applying for this benefit for the time being but to revisit the subject every month or so to look at what physical help may be needed in the imminent couple of months and to decide at that time whether you NEED to apply for the financial assistance.

I wish you well with your treatment and hope that whatever extra time it gives you will also be of good quality ❤