Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Clear start accountants

(10 Posts)
notoveryet Tue 03-Aug-21 21:20:58

Has anyone had dealings with this firm? They say they can sort out existing debt into a lower payment and give budgeting advice. However there is a monthly fee and I am in the cooling off period and having second thoughts about the whole thing

Kim19 Tue 03-Aug-21 21:26:07

I recommend you approach CAB with haste.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Aug-21 21:31:57

I don't think you need to pay a monthly fee to anybody in order to reduce your outgoings and make them manageable.
Step change is often mentioned as an organisation to help with debt.
I havent ever (thankfully) had to use them.

Charging a person who is already struggling is unethical, I would say.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Aug-21 21:34:40

I've just found the step change website, and it states that they will give you free advice, help, and support.

www.stepchange.org/

notoveryet Tue 03-Aug-21 21:37:05

This is what confused me I made an original contact online to step change and they appeared to have redirected me to this clear start firm

MissAdventure Tue 03-Aug-21 21:38:55

Ooh, I see.
I do see, but i don't understand.
How can that be?
I wonder if money saving expert has any info?

MissAdventure Tue 03-Aug-21 21:42:52

I just found this on money saving expert.
One of the comments has a link to the money saving expert budgeting help tool.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6141988/clear-start

nickjoky Fri 25-Mar-22 21:23:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 26-Mar-22 07:31:24

If you are having second thoughts, go with your gut instinct and cancel. Then have a look at other companies and maybe go with someone else.
You can always go back to the original choice when you are satisfied that it’s the right company to go with.

downtoearth Sat 26-Mar-22 08:40:41

Would this be an IVA,( Independent voluntary arrangement) where by you enter into a legal arrangement to pay a fixed sum to to organisation who then appirtion an agreed percentage to each of your creditors,at the end of 60 months this is then paid to your creditors, and you become debt free.
In that 60 month period you are not allowed to enter into other debt situations,
A statement is sent yearly to you to show your progress and monies held on your behalf.
I have had one of these arrangements that work well and if directed by step change would feel confident in using .