Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Car tax renewal

(27 Posts)
Allsorts Wed 09-Sept-26 08:00:03

Any advice getting good car insurance that is not ultra expensive. It all seems to be on line now with everything done on an app.

Susie42 Wed 09-Sept-26 08:26:50

Are you asking about car tax or car insurance? Car tax is done through the DVLA and is free. Check Martin Lewis’s website for car insurance advice.

LOUISA1523 Wed 09-Sept-26 09:25:52

Tax or insurance?

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sept-26 09:33:58

My car tax isn't free.
It is done online though.

I use a comparison site to whittle down the myriad offers.
It is cheaper to buy online - but I don't use an app.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sept-26 09:34:42

Should have said the insurance is cheaper online.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sept-26 09:40:07

www.moneyexpert.com/car-insurance/

I would start here.
Good luck.

Allsorts Wed 09-Sept-26 18:37:36

Apologies, blame not sleeping. Its car insurance I am looking at, its gone up almost 50% since last tear. Tried the one Spaghetti mentioned but worried after as they had all my information but no quotes.

Redrobin51 Wed 09-Sept-26 21:08:39

I have Lv car insurance and the last few years it has gone down by a few pounds, not up. Good luck with finding a good quote as it and difficult comparing like for like as they all seem slightly different.

crazyH Wed 09-Sept-26 21:13:45

I’m with LV too

Cossy Wed 09-Sept-26 21:41:47

I use the comparison site with the meerkats.

I check most policies each year, just to ensure I’m getting value for money,

Car, Home, pet and travel insurance.

V3ra Wed 09-Sept-26 23:23:02

We have our car insurance through Tesco, they've been very reasonable price wise.

Cabbie21 Wed 09-Sept-26 23:26:22

Just renewed mine with quotes from MSE. Last year’s provider put the price up by over £65. I found one for the same price as last year but not quite the same cover, so I had to add on a couple of extras.

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sept-26 00:23:59

Cabbie21

Just renewed mine with quotes from MSE. Last year’s provider put the price up by over £65. I found one for the same price as last year but not quite the same cover, so I had to add on a couple of extras.

I thought that's what I'd sent the link to.

Very, very sorry if it was wrong.

pce612 Thu 10-Sept-26 14:50:41

My AXA renewal quote was £530 this year, was £220 last year!!! They said it was due to rising costs. Really????
I got my insurance from RAC for £280 using a price comparison site.

Foxyferret Thu 10-Sept-26 14:52:14

Saga have been pretty reasonable for me. I always phone when I get my renewal (not just the Saga company) and the majority of the time they get me a price cheaper than the renewal. I always say I have found it cheaper online and the price comes down as they don’t want to lose you.

Lupatria Thu 10-Sept-26 15:28:35

my car is insured by tesco and i've always been satisfied with the cost.
however they wanted almost double what i paid last year at renewal.
so I got on the phone and after a conversation the renewal price was brought down to just a little more than last year and i'm more than happy with it.

Cabbie21 Thu 10-Sept-26 15:36:10

I guess a significant birthday has pushed my price up.

monami Thu 10-Sept-26 15:55:02

insurance, direct line

ElaineI Thu 10-Sept-26 16:21:32

I've been with direct line for years. This year the site was totally blank, then I discovered DL has/is being taken over by Aviva. Eventually got a quote for over £800 for a Mazda 2! Not even going to argue that down! Have gone with Brittania for £350. Also all my banks seem to be getting taken over and accounts changing! It's difficult keeping track and they all want you to have apps on a mobile. I don't mind the apps but if I'm doing my banking I prefer a larger screen with all the details.

62Granny Thu 10-Sept-26 16:30:05

Have you tried Tesco? We have a mobility car now so it is all sorted, but I used to use them and you get Clubcard points too.
Motorbility use Direct Line and I have found them helpful when I had a bump earlier in the year. Has yours gone up because you have had a milestone birthday?

rosemary55 Thu 10-Sept-26 16:30:20

Saga has always been the best for me , and they keep the price the same for 3 years, even after the 3 years I thought it would go up loads, but it didn't, so here's to another 3 years knowing the cost

ClicketyClick Thu 10-Sept-26 16:43:54

I always use comparison sites and this year's was just over £200 cheaper with Budget Insurance than quoted for renewal with last insurer.
Also after getting the cheapest quote, I always check to see if I can get a discount for it that I surer on the top cashback website and managed to get £50 cashback from there. I always check top cashback for any deals before buying anything online.

grannysyb Thu 10-Sept-26 18:57:45

I'm with NFU and mine went down this year!

posset Thu 10-Sept-26 19:07:23

I read that generally car insurance is down by about 5% from last year. I strongly recommend using a comparison site. Our camper van insurance quotes varied from £385 to over £1000 - all for much the same cover!

yellowcanary Thu 10-Sept-26 19:22:24

Mine went up from last year - I also needed to take the other driver off, and it went up again so I used the comparison sites. Found another insurance company considerably cheaper - went back to my insurers to see if they would match it - no go so after many years with them I changed to the other company saving quite a lot.