Gransnet forums

Legal & money

Right to remain in the UK

(24 Posts)
62Granny Fri 03-Dec-21 19:51:50

I have been trying to apply for the " right to remain " for my brother who has lived in the UK for nearly 68 years was educated here and has worked here has a NI number claims a state pension, I have completed the online form and we have now been asked to submit proof of residence for the last 5 years. Things like bank statements , council tax forms , utility forms. Who the hell has got 5 years of paper work . You might keep a year or so , I phoned the council to see if they could give us a letter saying he has paid council tax for the period but they said they would be able to email it to someone my brother ( no email) but could not print it off! Why I don't know.
Any one else been through this? any hints or tips? I am thinking of getting in touch with our local MP for some advise & Help.

MerylStreep Fri 03-Dec-21 20:01:42

You can get the bank statements but will have to pay. Your MP should be able to help, but whether he/she will is a different matter. I know that my late departed MP would have done.

Shelbel Fri 03-Dec-21 20:07:18

I think people are supposed to keep at least 5 years worth of bank statements. I kept ten years so, there are people who do it.

I'm sorry to hear you are having this trouble though especially after 68 years he's been in the UK.

I had the opposite side of the coin as I'm a brit in the EU married to a Belgian. Here the system requires you to register at the local council office, all details are kept there and they just print them off. I've had no trouble and have a residence/I'd card for permanent residence.

There must be some way to get residence confirmed. Has he been registered at a GP's for the required length of time? It might cost but the surgery might be able to confirm it.

62Granny Fri 03-Dec-21 20:29:26

I know our MP will offer assistance as he is one of the good ones, he doesn't really know his GP. As he hasn't had many dealings , I will consider it though . Will make arrangements to go to the bank with him I think.

Peasblossom Fri 03-Dec-21 20:33:43

Well you could go to all the trouble of writing to your MO or you could just get them to email it to you. You must have an email to be on Gransnet.

Why not take the easier option and get it done?

Peasblossom Fri 03-Dec-21 20:33:53


ElaineI Fri 03-Dec-21 20:34:19

I don't get printed bank statements. They are online. Can't they email it to you? Then you could print it?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 20:49:10

They will only email statements to the customer and OP says he doesn’t have email. Everyone should keep at least six years of statements as that’s how long HMRC can go back if they investigate, so not keeping them is foolish.

theworriedwell Fri 03-Dec-21 20:52:16

Can't you just set him up an email account. They are easy enough to set up or will they send it to your email address? I often order forms and things for my husband and they come to my email.

theworriedwell Fri 03-Dec-21 20:53:12

Ask for evidence of his pension, when it started etc.

Peasblossom Fri 03-Dec-21 21:02:23


They will only email statements to the customer and OP says he doesn’t have email. Everyone should keep at least six years of statements as that’s how long HMRC can go back if they investigate, so not keeping them is foolish.

They’ll email to any address that they’re given. After all, nobody can tell if [email protected] is your address or someone else’s.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Dec-21 21:07:25

Dara Protection?

Peasblossom Fri 03-Dec-21 21:30:51

What I mean is, if he tells them to email to bloggs etc they won’t know that’s not his email. It’s just the email he’s told them to use so they’ll use it.

Peasblossom Fri 03-Dec-21 21:33:20

Your email doesn’t have to have your name on it. It can be anything.

[email protected] can be your email if you want so no reason for them to refuse to email to [email protected] hotmail if that’s what he’s given them.

Elspeth45 Sat 04-Dec-21 08:15:29

Why would you need permission to remain in UK if you've been here 68 years!!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 09:17:12

Is he being threatened with deportation?

62Granny Sat 04-Dec-21 10:54:27

Elspeth45 :he never applied for British citizenship, didn't think it was needed, it was so easy when he got married in late 60s but his attitude was didn't need it especially after we joined Europe, he isn't very worldly wise.

Germanshephardmum: no not threatened with deportation. Just applying for the right to remain which is an essential after brexit.

GillT57 Sat 04-Dec-21 13:49:06

Another Brexit bonus! As you are obviously online, may I suggest setting up an email address for your brother and then you should be able to get confirmation emails sent to you, then printed. Maybe set up a account too which is very easy, and then your brother should be able to access to his tax records. Or, a quick google should lead you to help groups who are helping the hundreds and thousands of people thrown into this same unreasonable situation, they would be a good place to start. Can I also say that I am appalled that after years of residence, paying taxes, contributing to society, your brother finds himself in this situation. I am proud to say I did not vote for this.

Grannycool52 Sat 04-Dec-21 14:12:30

I have no experience of this at all, but I am so sorry that this is required of you and your brother.
I have found the Citizens' Advice people very helpful with sorting out the requirements of Govt departments.
Very good luck in sorting it out.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 14:14:47

I didn’t vote for it either but I can see that he does need to do something.

welbeck Sat 04-Dec-21 14:49:14

is that different from applying for settled status. ?
anyway, it's best if you help with this from local support groups.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:11:14

Whatever the individual situation is I was told by Immigration if you have a British passport there is no need to be concerned.
This won’t help if your brother doesn’t and uses his original passport. I hope he can get this sorted out.

silverlining48 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:14:50

Definitely get in touch with his MP

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Dec-21 16:50:56

Looking again at the OP, it’s obvious that a lot of the groundwork has been done and evidence of ID and living in the UK has been asked for. If you can list for us exactly what’s been asked for ‘granny62’, and which of these you or your brother can’t get, perhaps we can be of more help. I’m mindful that some MPs are a great deal more helpful than others!