Gransnet forums

Local

Somerset Grannies

(36 Posts)
SueD Fri 05-Apr-13 14:45:04

Come on all you Somerset Grannies - there is lots going on in this beautiful county so let us all hear about it. So far only three grans have joined a thread (Meet ups) but I'm sure that more of you have things you would like to get off your chests or even to share some happy news which after this long winter I'm sure we could all do with.

I can't believe there are only three gransnetters in the whole of Somerset so let's hear from you smile

worlie Fri 05-Apr-13 16:35:14

HI SUE WELL HERES ANOTHER GRAN TO ADD TO YOUR LIST, IM IN BRIDGWATER WHERE ARE THE OTHERS? smile

yggdrasil Mon 08-Apr-13 11:24:17

Right now I am in Worcestershire, but my house is on the market and I am looking to buy in Burnham. Any advice? :-)

SueD Mon 08-Apr-13 13:10:20

Quite windy at Burnham and garden soil is dreadful if you are a gardener. Wouldn't be my first choice in Somerset but we all want different things. Very crowded on warm sunny days and school holidays. I'm sure others will have different points of view. Sorry if we confuse you!

worlie Mon 08-Apr-13 14:35:14

Yggdrasil,
you will love it here in Somerset and if you dont find what you want in Burnham take a look at Bridgwater, I bought a bungalow here on an over 55s site(think it should have said over 65 to be honest)but its a pretty little complex gardens are tended by the gardeners except the small back gardens, unles it is grassed of course in which case that too is cut and taken care of by the gardeners so all in all ideal.Your username intrigues me what does it mean? is it welsh? I am off to Malta for 2 weeks on wednesday so doubt if I will get your reply before then so I will just end by wishing you good luck in your search,Worlie

yggdrasil Tue 09-Apr-13 10:04:53

I want the sea. I can't afford to go back to Sussex where I grew up, and anyway I have friends in North Somerset. And I hate gardening:-)

SueD Tue 09-Apr-13 10:28:33

Burnham should suit you well then! Good luck with the home search,

Valleyann Tue 09-Apr-13 11:45:48

Hi, I'm new to the site and am glad to see someone else has posted, bit of a fraud really as my grandson is not due until June. I'm in the north east of Somerset in the Chew Valley, cold and grey today and I'm not going out in my garden either.

Nanban Thu 11-Apr-13 14:59:45

Hello Somerset Grans, I'm S.Somerset just outside Sherborne - been here for nearly 6 years now and it is a lovely place to be - I hate gardening, rain, snow, housework and supermarket shopping. Our youngest is currently in Bristol; our oldest son - somewhere in Europe with our two grandchildren, one of whom we haven't seen at all, and the other we haven't seen for coming up for 3 years. Life should be perfect of course, and isn't.

Maniac Thu 11-Apr-13 15:25:08

Living in Backwell a large village (on main line to Paddington) I'm only 7 miles from the sea at Clevedon which I can get to very easily by bus

SueD Fri 12-Apr-13 11:40:09

It is good to see more Grans getting involved and also some recommendations for services etc appearing. Keep up the good work ladies.
Nanban - so sorry you haven't seen your grandchildren for so long or even at all. sad Our youngest daughter is rather remiss in the communication department. She is lovely when we all get together but never thinks to pick up the phone to ask how things are or just to chat. The other two have got more caring as they have got older so I suppose tere is time for the younger one.
I love you honesty about hating gardening, rain, snow housework and supermarket shopping. I'm certainly with you on the housework front and not far behind you on the rain and snow. However the garden I find quite therapeutic - directly the clocks went forward in the spring I would walk round my garden every evening after work as a way of unwinding from the day. Now I am retired I can do that whenever I like which is a pleasure.smile

cjel Thu 25-Apr-13 17:30:20

hello, I'm in POrtishead, Its lovely here and most of it is right near the coast. Lovely places to meet up now.

cjel Thu 25-Apr-13 17:48:07

hello, I'm in POrtishead, Its lovely here and most of it is right near the coast. Lovely places to meet up now.

MaBar Tue 07-May-13 13:02:27

HI everyone - I introduced myself on another thread (sorry) by mistake.

NanBan & SueD ....I think you are both very close to me, within range of Yeovilton airspace? smile

I have only been in the area for a year or so, and would love to make some more connections.

yggdrasil Wed 08-May-13 14:25:29

It's getting nearer now. My house has been on the market a while and I am getting interest. Soon I will have to spend time down your way looking at properties.
Now here's a question only a local can answer. In any town, there are areas that are, let's say, less salubrious than others. When you live in a place, you get to know these but it is no good expecting any comments from an estate agent. I have spent enough time in Clevedon to know which area I'd prefer to avoid, but I have no idea in Burnham. I can't really tell from the house prices either. So I'm asking if anyone here can give me a clue.

MaBar Wed 08-May-13 15:19:08

Sorry I can't help yggdrasil - Burnham is a long way from my neck of the woods.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help, as I do agree that it can be hard to define areas without some local knowledge

SueD Sat 11-May-13 11:35:32

My husband - ex Burnham from many years ago - says that the area around Love Lane is good (and probably expensive these days) and also Stoddens Road. He said that Abingdon Road area was always to be avoided but that may have changed in recent years (and no offence to any grannies living in that area!) Hope that helps and sorry it isn't more up to date.

yggdrasil Thu 16-May-13 18:46:53

No, that is very helpful. I have a list of houses to go and see this weekend, one of them is Abingdon Road.

SueD Thu 16-May-13 21:24:54

Good luck and happy house hunting.

yggdrasil Tue 28-May-13 18:50:23

I have had an offer accepted, the house is very central so I can walk to the sea and the High Street, but it still has enough room to park 2 cars.
Now it is all the hassle of sorting things out with solicitors etc.

MaBar Tue 28-May-13 19:07:02

Yeay!
Excellent news.
Look forward to chatting more, now you are going to be a permanent Somerset Granny smile

Rigmarole Wed 29-May-13 09:23:58

Hello all, Lara from GNHQ here. Was just wondering if you think it might be worthwhile splitting this site into North and South Somerset? That way you could chat to people who are closer to you and more likely to meet up with? Let me know your thoughts.

MaBar Wed 29-May-13 19:18:59

OK by me .....sitting down here in the South smile
Its certainly a bit of a drive to get up to the northern end for a cuppa.

Happy to help with admin if needed

SueD Wed 29-May-13 22:14:24

Have wheels will travel - there aren't too many of us but happy to go along with the majority. Now back in Somerset after five weeks in Ireland so looking forward to meeting upo with some of you. I'm south if that is any help!

MaBar Thu 30-May-13 11:11:21

Sue -

glad you are now safely home from Ireland.
Shall we organise a coffee date, and post it?

Street was a suggestion made by Battymum, and it is fairly central, so might be a good option?