Gransnet forums

Local

Somerset Grannies

(37 Posts)
SueD Fri 05-Apr-13 14:45:04

Come on all you Somerset Grannies - there is lots going on in this beautiful county so let us all hear about it. So far only three grans have joined a thread (Meet ups) but I'm sure that more of you have things you would like to get off your chests or even to share some happy news which after this long winter I'm sure we could all do with.

I can't believe there are only three gransnetters in the whole of Somerset so let's hear from you smile

SueD Thu 30-May-13 15:36:32

Sounds a plan to me! I cannot do 4th June, 11th June or 28th June. Street sounds fine - about 40 mins by car from here but straightforward. if anyone from this area needs a lift they are welcome to contact me. I don't know Street that well so will rely on others to suggest a venue. Look forward to meeting you all

MaBar Thu 30-May-13 19:50:10

My June calendar is actually crazy but - of those three dates - I could do the morning of Friday June 28th, if that would suit people?

There is a main cafe as you come in from the car park? we could meet at the entrance to it?
I think its the only indoor cafe with lots of seating, but have only ever parked on that side and used that entrance into the Village ....so does anyone else know if there is another? Would hate to cause confusion

SueD Thu 30-May-13 22:58:12

Sorry - see previous message - I can't do 28th June, 11th June or 4th June. All other dates are fine

MaBar Fri 31-May-13 01:09:05

Whoops .... concentration failure saw the "can't do's" as the options!
note to self. engage brain before hitting return key

How about Monday 24th ?

SueD Fri 31-May-13 21:21:17

That sounds OK at the moment. I'm waiting for cataract surgery (day case) so that is the only thing that would stop me. I see ophthalmologist again on 11th June so may have a better idea then. However just go ahead and get orgasnised and if I can't make it I'm sure I shall another time.

Has the cafe got a name and postcode as it will help with satnav etc..?

Looking forward to meeting as many of you who can get there.

MaBar Thu 06-Jun-13 10:56:06

With major apology Sue (and anyone else lurking)
I am going to have to bow out, as now have to be in Sussex that week sad

So sorry.

yggdrasil Fri 05-Jul-13 12:13:46

Well that house fell through, the survey threw up horrendous problems, and the vendor couldn't drop the price enough for me to afford the repairs.
I now have another offer accepted, so I have only lost a couple of weeks or so. Still hope to be in by the autumn.

SueD Tue 09-Jul-13 12:47:49

Oh dear - why is buying a house so fraught with problems. If the house has problems then the owners should realise that the next offer they get will be dependent on the prospective owners putting it right or they will have to repair in advance of getting to that stage. We would all love to think our homes are worth more than they are!
I do hope your next offer is accepted and things go smoothly this time. Is the house in Burnham where you were looking?

Fuchsia007 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:43:48

Hi there, Ive just joined and left a "meet up" message on another post, so just getting to grips with having a nose around this website! I would advise Burnham if you like to live near the sea. Its where I live and its an easy place to travel to other areas.

The only downside is of course the tourists. We had a Guest House for 5 years and it was great then, but sometimes the shops and roads can be very busy with them from literally Easter to November (after the Carnivals have finished).

Ive also lived in Portishead, Backwell and Nailsea and can recommend those areas to. Its just that the further down the coast you go, the cheaper the properties can be. The house we have now would be that much more expensive in Nailsea say. Hope Im not confusing folk too much.

Anyway, I will have to remember to log back in and check messages here until I know what Im doing!

Wallygrom Sun 20-Oct-13 15:42:01

I live in Cheddar and am limited by the fact I work full time so meet ups for me have to be on a saturday morning....but am willing to travel for meet ups on saturdays

Sandy217 Tue 22-Oct-13 14:35:05

Hi Wallygrom, I left a message on the other post too - sadly I can't make the day they seem to have settled on but not seen a post on there since. I live in south Somerset but am willing to meet up in "the middle" somewhere smile