Gransnet forums

Local

hello

(182 Posts)
matson Sun 07-Apr-13 15:16:33

hello, are there any other local GNs out there?

matson Mon 10-Jun-13 18:37:35

hi annegr the sun came out briefly! managed a sunny bench hour. I,m not confident enough yet with transport I don,t know, so I think I will wait till we have a Boro meet.
a coffee/ tea at morrisons I can managesmile

YaYaJen Mon 10-Jun-13 19:53:58

I have a bit of a thing for Nero's coffee, espresso, short, strong but smooth . . .how do you like yours?

Yes, we will meet up in Middlesbrough, how much notice do you need?

matson Mon 10-Jun-13 20:04:20

Not a coffee drinker! I,m a teabagsmile. A week or so , as much as poss x

annegr Thu 13-Jun-13 09:18:08

Good morning to all.I'm treating myself to a listening of CD my H/gate son brought me back from far east-Buddhist chants and Peace Music.Lovely.
It occurred to me how easy it is to get to Stokesley from Redcar.Service 81 every alternate bus goes to Stokesley and the one between just goes to G/bro.It takes 1hr.There is the local bus then picks up taking in Northallerton so it is a possibility to meet S/ley and meet our N Yorks.grannies.It would take too long to go on to N/ton.There is a good coffee shop at S/ley called Howards.
Have you ever read a book which haunts you afterwards?Try Every Last One by Anna Quindlen. I'm taking it back to library today

matson Thu 13-Jun-13 18:24:18

hi annegr, yes stokesley sounds like a good alternate, and maybe be put forward for the next north meet up.
I love a go od book almost finished Ian Mcewans new book " Sweet Tooth", its good, I love his use of words I have no idea of their meaning , so have to get the dictionary out! Haven,t heard of Anna Quindlen, one to look out for.

annegr Sat 15-Jun-13 09:05:11

Hello Matson (and others?) I shall look out for Mcewan next visit to library.Believe it or believe it not, I have only just found there is a page 2 on this conversation site! I thought I just kept scrolling forever.Told you I was a beginner. No wonder I lost the track when Ya Ya Jen wrote.Sorry about that.
Went to Grandson's school yesterday- school's 60th Anniv.Super day and the weather held until the finish. Have you heard of the local group The Wild Cats of Kilkennie? They played all day, not quite peace music.
Just spoiled a load of washing! My own fault. I put a pair of previously unwashed black trousers in with whites.I can't hang the whites out so have put them back in washer again just to try. Not worth buying the colour run stuff, will just go to Bon Marche I suppose.
It will soon be grandson's 7th birthday.I'm thinking of getting him a purse/wallet on a chain and putting money in it for summer holidays.What do you think?

matson Sat 15-Jun-13 16:29:43

Hi annegr Yes have seen the wildcats a few times over the years and I always enjoy them.
that's so annoying when your colours run!, especially if your favourite item is amongst it. Its difficult nowadays to buy for childrens birthday, don't know about your grandson, but mine seem to have so much stuff! too much, so I ask them now if there is anything they have on the listsmile if not I give them money, more so as they have gotten older. So I think money for holidays or a treat day out together is always a safe bet.
It would be nice if the sun returned could do with a top up.

YaYaJen Sun 16-Jun-13 17:04:04

Hi, Stokesley sounds a great idea - last days of June or beginning of July? weekday or Saturday? If we decide that I will put it on the local and main forums.

Looking forward to meeting you.

PS being a grandparent can be such a delicate balancing act!

matson Tue 18-Jun-13 16:05:35

hi annegr, are you ok?

annegr Tue 18-Jun-13 16:29:34

Hello Matson,Thank you for letter.I'm fine and been trying to top up tan but very windy. You people with walled gardens! Mine is a wind tunnel, however, I do have a windbreak which helps.I've been involved with a neighbour's health problem recently-still not resolved.Her daughter and family went to New Zealand after Xmas and she has learned to use Skype to see her grand-daughter.I have told her about this site.She's off to NZ in Oct. but is struggling with pain in her face and waiting to see consultant.I hope it's better for her to fly, it's very expensive-£1400 return.She would like to come to Morrisons with me, maybe next week,say Monday 10.00AM,That is if she feels up to it.Would you like to meet us in cafe? I shall come by myself otherwise. We can then discuss visit to N.Yorks perhaps.Mid July would be better for me, I have several bits and pieces for the first fortnight, including 3 family birthday gatherings.I shall be penniless!!!

annegr Tue 18-Jun-13 16:34:00

Hello Ya Ya Jen, Thanks for message. I hope to meet up with my countrywoman next week and we will discuss visit to you.I think it might have to be mid-July at least for me.Oh what it is to have a full diary and no energy! We will let you know about our G8 conference in Morrisons.

matson Tue 18-Jun-13 19:33:49

hi annegr, glad you are ok, I hope your neighbour gets sorted soon bless her. Before I went to the dentist today I managed an hour on the sunny bench, but even with the wall that wind had a little sting in its tail, its a poor summer again so far.
this is the first year for about 10 years I haven,t planted any sunflowers, we usually have a competition to see who can grow the tallest! Maybe next yearsmile.
Yes to a cuppa at morrisons café on Monday would be nice, be good to put a face to a name.

annegr Wed 19-Jun-13 09:13:18

Good morning, Nice to hear from you and also to see you Monday.I will maybe catch the bus if I have my neighbour with me and the bus is hazardous-doesn't always turn up on time! If I come alone, I always walk so I can be precise ( as I like to be)
What is your opinion, if any, on the piece of news today that a lot of plantpots and tubs have to be moved from a street?As if that council hasn't anything else to bother about.There is so much vandalism and ugliness around and this is just the reverse.
Talking of vandalism, when I walk into town down Corporation Rd. I pass the college who have erected a very pleasant fence and gardens in front of the college.Twice, this has all been savagely vandalised at enormous cost, no doubt. I feel so strongly about it, I might just write a letter to the Gazette as I have done in the past over certain issues.
I intend to work on the front garden today.Those plants in little £1.25 pots are growing into The Lost Gardens variety.At least they keep the weeds down, they can't compete.

YaYaJen Wed 19-Jun-13 11:50:56

Good morning,

What is the council thinking of? That will only discourage people even more...

Lovely to hear how you are helping your neighbour out annegr a great example of how being online can reduce loneliness.

Am busy weekend 20th July but either the week before or after should be fine, 23rd is my birthday! June is the full of birthdays month here but usually just htave one big meet-up, last year SIL had a barbecue and poor Pete (my OH) got peed on by their dog with everyone looking on..

Hope you all get to meet next week, and looking forward to meeting on an day out somewhere new perhaps?

YaYaJen Thu 20-Jun-13 11:00:40

Oops, just checked and away the last weekend July so hope it is ok if we pencil in next meet up for Fri 19th July?

matson Thu 20-Jun-13 14:13:48

hello annegr, hope you managed to sort your garden, it certainly was a beautiful day for it yesterday, sadly today is looking glum!
I love to see all the tubs and flowers in bloom, and especially locke park and surrounding area always looks nice, but as always some people will destroy anything for the hell of it, however I do find a lot of the pavements are becoming restricted to us because of overly large tubs, signs, bikes , cars thus forcing people onto the road! there that's my moan for the daysmile hope you are well and I will email again before Monday.
!

matson Thu 20-Jun-13 14:15:32

hi yayajen, until I have met up with annegr can,t say for sure what date, but we will let you asap x

annegr Fri 21-Jun-13 08:10:20

Good morning all, No sun today so no valid excuse to idle. Do I need one?
I am off to town to meet sister in law and a chat about our families and what they are not doing right or otherwise.
I did buy a wallet with a chain for grandson's money.No good buying him a purse, I would have my head in my hands."That's for GIRLS, Grandma," I admit he is sexist and has been from playgroup days.We don't know where he got it from and we have failed to eradicate it so far.
The fence by the college has been repaired again. I had just sent my letter to Gazette when I noticed.If the editor prints it, it should be in paper next week.
My neighbour is still waiting to see consultant. It doesn't hold much hope out for the care of the elderly in their own homes.That is an incentive to keep walking and keeping fit, I refuse to join that catagory for many years.
My brother's son is visiting them, starting tomorrow.He works in Mexico and they havn't seen him for 2/3 years. He's a research scientist and this country cannot find him employment!!

YaYaJen Fri 21-Jun-13 08:54:44

good morning from dull and drizzly N Yorks - just 20 miles away!

Lol Annegr, my bugbear is that DD and SIL rush grandies to doctor for slightest thing only to be told every time calpol & liquids...they are usually over it next day...if I was the doc don't know how patient I would be..

Sexism! another biggie, SIL is from Albania and they are notoriously chauvinist, I let him know who is boss in our house lol....

Am planning a quiet morning, though have to tidy away all the gransnet stuff ready for picking up eldest from nursery with youngest in pushchair...hills home a re a tester.

Have a happy day

matson Sat 22-Jun-13 18:04:16

hello annegr, shall I meet you at the bench as you go into morrisons? 10 am, and hope the weather is not as blowy!

annegr Sun 23-Jun-13 09:18:08

Hello Matson. Thanks for letter. Yes, I will look out for you just by entrance door (the one opposite Home Bargains) If it is cold=blue fleece.If it is wet=blue pacamac.If it is hot=denim jacket.10am.
My lawnmower wheel fell off on Sat.This is the 2nd time and it is inaccessable for me to put on.I have to take it to Kirkleatham Ind.Park.This is when I miss the car.I have asked my dgt-in-law for sometime during the week when she can fit it in, possibly Thurs.I think I will be contacting the manufacturer!
Grandson coming this morning after trip to baths with his dad. They will stay for a simple lunch-doing quiche,coleslaw and new potatoes.Not quite Michelin Star but I'm expected to join in our long running game that no-one else knows what on earth it's about.I'm not super gran so lunch has to take 2nd place.
See you tomorrow.Don't know whether my neighbour is coming yet-the one who has learned to use Skype.Clever lady,although she doesn't know how to send e-mails!

matson Sun 23-Jun-13 10:14:56

morning annegr, looking out the window you are not going to need that lawnmower for a few dayssmile. Enjoy your lunch, sounds nice, then maybe you could teach your friend to email!
Debating wether to go for a wander or not, think I will wait another hour or so see how this weather progresses. See you tomorrow.

YaYaJen Sun 23-Jun-13 10:38:08

Bit dark & cloudy here too, we have the grandsons later - they are 3 3/4 and 1 1/2 so an absolute joy to look after but also very very very tiring.

There is a homegrown food festival on in town, free entry- always a bonus - with some stuff on for the kids with the playground near too so hope to tire them out. Have been looking after them usually 4 days a week for up to 6 hours which tbh is too much for me so am negotiating with dear daughter to reduce it somehow....

If I get to take any photos I will put them on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/GransnetNorthYorkshire

Hope you have a lovely chat and coffee tomorrow and hope to meet you soon
Jeb

matson Sun 23-Jun-13 14:52:48

Hi Jen, I hope the monsoon didn,t dampen your day with your grandchildren. I envy your energysmile hope your negotiations are successful.

YaYaJen Sun 23-Jun-13 17:19:49

Hi,

We had a lovely day yesterday at the garden centre fete, today they were both asleep when we arrived to take them to the food festival so it has been a quiet afternoon.

I have portion out my energy very carefully - spoon theory - as I have fibro & M.E. but pacing helps make the most of what I have though recently have been exhausted plus infection after infection, hey ho.

Have just uploaded some photos

https://www.facebook.com/GransnetNorthYorkshire/photos_stream

...and managed to avoid the rain! So all in all a lovely weekend.

Just two afternoons next week so successful negotiations so far, this always pushing of boundaries by children never seems to end.

Jen x