Gransnet forums

Local

hello

(182 Posts)
matson Sun 07-Apr-13 15:16:33

hello, are there any other local GNs out there?

annegr Mon 09-Nov-15 07:53:59

Good morning Meagan. You will be having a busy Xmas by the sound of it (and expensive!) I wrapped some of my pressies up yesterday so now I know where the gaps lie. Am off into town later for bedsocks and chocolate.
Matson has come down with a cold and is feeling miserable but I will motivated her into a comment or two here on the site.
If you like classical music, there is a lunchtime concert every 2nd Wed of the month at TunedIn,Majuba Rd, Redcar. Start 1.30, price £6, duration 1hr. Top performers heading for the concert platform. Cafe there for tea and cakes afterwards, totally informal dress. It's not friend Matson's cup of tea but I like it and meet up with 2 women whom I met on a course "Computers for the Terrified." We are still inept at technical stuff but all these friendships are great. The next concert is this Wed.
I live in the Coatham area and regularly catch the 81 home from town. Always walk down, though, my bit towards keeping fit.
Write again or find me at TunedIn.

Meagen Mon 09-Nov-15 13:16:13

Hi there again! Thanks for the response. You are right about the expense of Christmas, but I am one of those boring old f**ts who shops all year for presents and I have a stash the size of Everest (slight exaggeration) by the time I need them, so cope well. I'm afraid I'm not really into classical music in a big way. I love some of the more well-known pieces, but afraid I'm a bit of an ignoramus in the field. I love jazz and r&b. Dare I also admit to loving Elvis, the Beatles, the Everley Brothers and loads more from when I was a hip chick! (Dream on!) Take care.

annegr Tue 10-Nov-15 08:13:25

You'll be a hit with Matson - she's one of the flower people from the 60's.
What a clever person you are with your shopping but at least I aim to have it sorted by the end of November and cards written.
I always go to grandson's for Xmas Day but I like to be formally asked! One year I fretted up to nearly Xmas - no invite - they just "assumed" it was a done and dusted deal. I put them right on that one - I assume nothing.
I go to Morrisons Tues and Fri and meet up with my sister-in-law for a cup of tea. We put our families to rights (no-one listens) but it makes us feel better.
Apart from the son I have here in Redcar (dad to grandson) I have another son and wife who live in Harrogate. They are career people who love to travel and have no desire to add to our family tree. My brother and wife live in Easingwold,York and they visit on a regular basis.
I live in a tiny C&C bungalow close to Locke Park. It makes up for lack of internal space by having lots outside. I love gardening and can't wait for the spring again. I also read a vast amount of books of all types and am into Buddhism in a fairly big way. Meditation and all that!
Bye for now.

Meagen Sat 14-Nov-15 20:39:23

Hello again, and apologies for the delay in replying. I also have a daughter and son-in-law living in Harrogate. Small world, eh? I was there for a few days a couple of weeks ago for the Harrogate History Festival. I went to a couple of the discussions, which were fascinating and totally different. This year the theme was World War 2, which sounds a bit heavy going, but it was amazingly interesting. Apparently this is the third year that the Festival has been held, but I assume it has a different literary focus each year. I would certainly watch out for it again next year.
I am also an avid reader of just about anything except sci-fi and romantic novels. I love detective stories and true crime in particular. I have 2 sisters-in-law and a friend who share similar tastes, so when we meet up, usually around once a month, we all bring and swap reading matter. Mine are usually bought from one of the many charity shops and when everyone has read them, the books are usually returned there to be resold.
The weather hasn't been too great here in Guisborough for the past few days, so I haven't ventured too far. I met one of my granddaughters who works in Guisborough the other day and we had a coffee and a chat in Cafe Nero (her choice, not mine). I'm always amazed how popular the place is. I think it's expensive- but then again I suppose they charge what people are prepared to pay. I would prefer a cuppa in Morrisons!
Take care.

annegr Sun 15-Nov-15 08:42:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annegr Sat 02-Jan-16 08:00:59

Happy New Year to any reader. I hope you all had a lovely Xmas with your families, as I did. Let us hope for a peaceful 2016 with a lot of conflict in the world being resolved. It worries all of us grandparents that our little ones are growing up in a strange, uncertain place.
I have to say that our schools do a wonderful job giving the children such a cheerful environment, so full of positivity.
Hope to hear from any of you soon, Bye for now.