Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Do you live in Kent?

(95 Posts)
nanapug Fri 19-Aug-11 18:15:07

Am I the only person on here who lives in Kent? Sure I can't be.....

mariana Mon 18-May-15 15:43:09

Yes, the coffee shop is still there, that has also been revamped, but useful for a light lunch when you are out. Plus we have 2 free car parks very close---well still free at the moment, the council are fighting to change that--and Barsleys are fighting the council, as they get so many customers from the local villages. Especially at sale time. I can remember queing at 8.00 with my husband outside, for some furniture that we had seen.

BewlBridge is lovely now--they have cycle tracks all round etc etc. I have never been to a concert there.

But we have had many concerts at the Whitbread Hop Farm, just down the road, including Elton John, Shirley Bassey-loads more. But not so many lately as it has been sold on. Even the War and Peace show is now at Folkestone--it used to be one of the biggest attractions at the Hop Farm.

janerowena Tue 19-May-15 11:43:37

I haven't been around the Hop Farm for about 15 years now, but the displays then used to be good, with models showing you how the farm used to work, and they had all the dray horses there every summer for their holidays. Every time we drove past after that, I could see how much it had changed. I have friends who lived almost directly opposite it, so used to pass it quite often, but they didn't like living so close to it as it got noisier and noisier so they moved. A bit different from when Whitbread still owned it, then! I heard it flooded really badly, too. All they had while I was still there was the odd classic car show.

Yes, I remember the car parks in Paddock Wood. I have watched car park charges drive people to out of town shops all over the UK as I have moved around it, those councils never learn. Our nearest little market town doesn't charge, and you can go there at any time of the day and there will be people walking around.

mariana Tue 19-May-15 13:14:27

Th hop farm is still busy, but not as busy as it used to be. Lots going on, a lots of stuff for chidren. THere is a big new coffee shop, and a new restaurant. there was talk of the new owner, building a marine at the back-towards Whetested Lane !! Holiday chalets etc etc. But nothing so far.

The car parks in Paddock Wood are well used . Free for 2 hours then they charge. But 2 hours is enough to see everything--plus have lunch !!

ninathenana Tue 19-May-15 17:56:10

Is Bewl Bridge the same as Bewl Water ?? Last went there when DC were young. We had a ride on the water and a picnic.

janerowena Tue 19-May-15 19:07:22

Yes, it's the same. It was originally called Bewl Bridge Reservoir, until they decided it would make a nice country park - which it does. Although I can remember the summer in the late 70s when it all dried up and became a lunar landscape. There was a dreadful drought and all the water was used up, just a puddle left in the middle.

Bellanonna Wed 20-May-15 17:21:47

Kent postal address but now part of the capital urban sprawl. Love Kent. Did lots of cycling on Romney in our more supple 50s and ditto walking around most parts. Love the Weald, Canterbury area and the Coast. DH needs frequent visits to Guys and Kings so where we are makes life that much easier although I'd love to live further out.

mariana Wed 20-May-15 21:07:33

yes, i know what you mean-where we lived in Welling was Kent, but might just as well have been London. But here, you can drive for 2 minutes and you are in the country side. When we moved away from here, to go back to Welling [do not ask } it actually made my husband ill, and within a year we moved back. One of the things he missed most was our drive to Sainsburys every week. In Welling, it was nose to tail traffic all the way. Here we go along country roads, hopfields , apple orchards, baby lambs--and my favourite , past Tudely Woods, at Bluebell time. And that is what he missed most. Me too.

ninathenana Wed 20-May-15 22:03:01

Reading this makes me realise that despite living in Kent all my life there is an awful lot of it I haven't seen. Particularly the centre.

mariana Wed 20-May-15 23:03:42

Kent is a huge county. I am in West Kent.

Bellanonna Thu 21-May-15 10:18:55

Mariana, you mention Tudely. I'm sure you've seen the Chagall windows in the church there? Something we discovered on a walk from Tudely. When we were more active we walked all over the county. Now it's drives and pub visits. Kent is such a beautiful, diverse and historic county. Living in the suburbs is good for london, and we get free train fares, but within a short time we can drive to lovely Kent villages. We stayed on a farm in Lynsore Bottom a few years ago. Great name! Not far from Stelling minnis. Bough Beech another lovely area for walking. there are some lovely NT houses not far from us too. We saw the bluebells at Emmets last week and Chartwell is a short trip away. Nice to hear from people scattered over the county.

mariana Thu 21-May-15 14:27:37

Oh Hi--yes of corse I know the Chagall windows at Tudely church, been there many times, plus the burial ploot of the goldsmid family nearby. Such an unexpected place to find a Chagall window.

You are lucky to get free train fares--you must live nearer to London, as we have to pay for all train fares--a trip to London can be quite expensive these days. I go mostly to places by bus--Tonbrisge, Maidstone, TUnbridge Wells, as I have a free bus pass. I have heard of Bough Beech, but not the other places you mention. Emmetts of course and Chartwell. Hever casdtle is quite near by car. yes, Loads of history all over Kent. Surprising how many on this site live or have lived in Kent. I lived in West London, before I married and moved over the river.

Bellanonna Thu 21-May-15 22:11:42

Yes we get free trains within the London area. All the London boroughs have this perk. Council tax pays for it. Yes Hever is lovely. We used to go to the open air theatre there, quite atmospheric once it got dark with geese fllying over and bats flying closer . Yes the bus pass is useful. I can get one to tunbridge wells from here. It saves the bother of parking and you can just sit back and enjoy it. I suppose you could get buses to London but it might take all day?

janerowena Thu 21-May-15 22:22:52

No, not that long, especially if you got a National Express bus.

I shall probably be down there in mid June, to go to the funeral of a good friend, in Leeds village. I lived there too for a short while. I have lived in many areas, but never east of Ashford.

Bellanonna Fri 22-May-15 08:52:02

Can we get National Express for free with bus pass JR.? I hadn't thought of that. Leeds village and that area all very pretty. Sorry about your friend.

mariana Fri 22-May-15 09:58:06

I am not sure how long it would take to get to London by National Expess. But as they do not come to Paddock Wood, I would have a 15 minute walk to busstop, wait for the bus-often late, 30 minutes into Tunbridge Wells--wait for the national express--at least 90 minutes to London-same back--I just could not do it, I have 2 dogs, and I can leave them on my own--basically I have to or I would never go anywhere--but I do not leave them longer than 5 hours max--they are used to that, I would not be comfortable leaving them for longer.

Anyway I worked in London for 37 years, and lived there for 28 years. I am happy not to go back !

janerowena Fri 22-May-15 13:54:38

I don't know about free, but National Express do hugely reduced rates at certain times for OAPs, and not only that, on may routes they do a £5 ride to anywhere. You have to sign up to their website though to see all the offers. I joined DS up to it when he started at Uni the other year, he got all the way from Cambridge to Hampshire and back for £10 with one of their offers.

ninathenana Fri 22-May-15 15:13:32

Did anyone feel the earthquake?? We didn't.

janerowena Fri 22-May-15 16:29:26

DD didn't either. It's strange how they always seem to happen at night, isn't it.

Grumm Mon 20-Jul-15 22:09:45

Hi Ladies
I from Aylesford, would like to get to know you . As a widow like to keep busy . joined a few clubs
Do peopl in Kent ever meet up ??