Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Bideford, anyone?

(72 Posts)
Ariadne Sun 05-Jan-14 10:11:56

Does anyone fancy a little North Devon meetup in Bideford? (All welcomes from anywhere, of course!) We did discuss it briefly before Christmas, but we could begin to think about it now. Maybe a little later in the year?

There are quite a few of us round about here, I know. I would love to see you!

wine etc.

nannyfran Thu 27-Feb-14 17:03:16

That date is fine for me and any venue. Never having been before, what is the usual format?I gather alcohol may be involved! If so I might get DH to give me a lift in. I'm really looking forward to it.
I hope your op' gives you as much relief as mine did, Ariadne. It was so lovely to be out of pain. Good luck.

Anne58 Thu 27-Feb-14 17:15:29

28th is currently fine for me! (excited face!)

Ariadne Thu 27-Feb-14 18:54:53

nannyfran Well, lunch - whatever people want, and yes, alcohol! I mean, you don't have to....!

ga would you be driving? The bus journey is ok, but not perfect. Theseus has offered a taxi service from Barnstaple, but isn't free on 28th.

OGM how about you?

nannyfran Fri 28-Feb-14 14:15:02

You won't need to twist my arm much!I have been known to down the odd glass or two.
If people are coming on the bus from Barnstaple, is the Royal worth considering? There's a bus stop just up the road from there.

Ariadne Fri 28-Feb-14 15:18:45

That is where my Rotary Club meets each week! And we go there quite often for various events It is very nice - a bit stuffy but very friendly, with a bar menu and a main menu. A bit on the expensive side, maybe?

nannyfran Fri 28-Feb-14 15:29:37

I've only been for bar meals and they aren't too bad for pensioners discount. Having said that, It's a while since I went, so I 'm a bit out of touch.
I'm happy whatever, it will be good to meet some new people.

rosesarered Fri 28-Feb-14 20:59:47

Thanks ariadne I love Appledore, have to go into The Seagate when we are next there for a few days, have a nice lunch or coffee in Bideford and tell us about it?

Ariadne Fri 21-Mar-14 20:51:10

Where has the time gone! We said we'd meet next Friday - does that still suit you all?

We went to the Riverbank last week - it is in new hands and much less stuffy, and has a beeter set of menu options than the Royal, so I propose we meet there. (It is diagonally opposite the Royal)

Can you let me know? It would be So good to meet up.

Ariadne Sat 22-Mar-14 09:02:07

Bump.

Anne58 Sat 22-Mar-14 10:56:58

It's looking ok for me so far! Unless of course someone offers me a fantastic job between now and then, which is unlikely. Even if they do I will say that I have a unmovable appointment that day!

Advance warning - I'm trying to grow my hair, and at the moment it's at an awful stage, can't do a thing with it. Plus I had to slap a colour on it last week for an interview and the only colour I could find in Holsworthy was a very boring and slightly too dark brown.

nannyfran Sat 22-Mar-14 11:36:09

That sounds lovely, Ariadne. Thanks for organising it. What time shall we meet?

Anne58 Sat 22-Mar-14 12:22:51

Can we have a list of who's going?

grannyactivist Sat 22-Mar-14 14:39:46

Hoping to join you, but can't confirm until later today. Can anyone tell me where and which bus to get from Barnstaple please as I'll be travelling by train.

Ariadne Sat 22-Mar-14 17:02:02

phoenix you, me, and nannyfran so far, and perhaps ga - will have task DGD about buses, but there I hear it stops very close to the crossroads where the wine bar and the Royal are.

Anyone else? smile

Anne58 Sat 22-Mar-14 17:17:05

I thought OGM was hoping to come?

Ariadne Sat 22-Mar-14 17:42:37

It's a number 21 bus, ga

rosesarered Sat 22-Mar-14 21:08:57

I shall be we with you in spirit! Will you be trip trapping across the rickety bridge, to the pub?They did a lot of work to the old bridge didn't they. does it look ok?Is this the pub opposite the library?East-the -water?Have a good time. smile

Ariadne Sun 23-Mar-14 09:38:34

We shall raise a glass to you, roses! The wine bar is at the crossroads on the East-the-Water (where DD lives!) and diagonally across from the Royal. It has just changed hands, and I like it a lot.

No one else coming, then? We shall be a select little gathering! Theseus is off with my car, so I won't be driving grin (He takes delivery of a new car next week, and is determined not to risk a bump / put up the mileage on his current one. So mine is off to a meeting in Axminster.)

rosesarered Sun 23-Mar-14 20:33:42

I know the pub Ariadne although it wasn't that great 6 years ago.They had some work done to the outside [at the time that we went there for a drink one lunchtime] and there was still a bit of scaffolding there with the notice 'another fine erection by Joe Bloggs the builder.' Can't remember the real name[too long ago] but people were having a chuckle.If it's changed hands it's probably better now, it seemed a bit run down back then.Trust me to remember that!Hee-hee.

Ariadne Sun 23-Mar-14 22:09:57

It is very modern, light and airy now, with a good varied menu.

rosesarered Mon 24-Mar-14 11:07:46

Do you remember all the fuss [7 years ago?] about the roundabout in Barnstaple that had hugely expensive 'stones' set all around it? I didn't think it looked all that great I must say, not to justify the price. A few silver birches set on it would have softened the effect.If I remember rightly the stones were set in metal 'bins' and looked a bit industrial.Or am I remembering wrongly?

Anne58 Mon 24-Mar-14 11:10:42

roses you are right and it still looks vile! It's not even local stone.

Ariadne Mon 24-Mar-14 11:12:12

smile

Oldgreymare Mon 24-Mar-14 18:58:46

How did I miss this? Have an apt with Doc early Friday will hie me away PDQ to check on transport options. Will let you know ASAP. smile

Oldgreymare Mon 24-Mar-14 19:17:00

Much as I would love to be there, it seems unlikely sad
I have waited over 3 weeks for the Doc apt ( to discuss results of tests) so don't want to cancel that which means a later train and a 4 hour journeyhmm with 2 changes! By road it is over 100 miles!
I wish you all a great time, and will raise a glass to you all at the appropriate hour......Enjoy xx