Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Bideford, anyone?

(71 Posts)
Ariadne Sun 05-Jan-14 10:11:56

Does anyone fancy a little North Devon meetup in Bideford? (All welcomes from anywhere, of course!) We did discuss it briefly before Christmas, but we could begin to think about it now. Maybe a little later in the year?

There are quite a few of us round about here, I know. I would love to see you!

wine etc.

Ariadne Sun 05-Jan-14 19:06:10

Bump

Anne58 Sun 05-Jan-14 23:24:02

Sounds good to me!

grannyactivist Sun 05-Jan-14 23:37:45

I can get to Barnstaple on the train quite easily from Exeter. Not sure how easy it is to go on to Bideford. Bus? Local train?
Anyway, count me in and I'll get there somehow. Mondays and Fridays are good at the moment as I'm looking after grandchildren on other days for a few weeks.

Ariadne Mon 06-Jan-14 10:03:22

There is a bus to Bideford, but I'm thinking that, if anyone else wants to come upcountry, then we could do Barnstaple. The big city, eh? (NOT!)

nannyfran Mon 06-Jan-14 15:33:32

Just caught up with this after a couple of days off.Bideford would be lovely for me as I'm not driving far these days, but am happy to get to the "big city" if that will suit everyone better.
Later might be better for anyone travelling further if the weather doesn't improve.We need something to look forward to.

Ariadne Mon 06-Jan-14 16:51:15

Oh, I agree, nannyfran! Let's see if anyone else wants to come from further afield.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jan-14 16:53:46

Aw, drat! We moved away recently [from near Bideford] if only we were there I would love to meet up.I loved mooching about on Mill St. all those little independent shops, then having a coffee before feeding ducks/seagulls on the quayside by the park.I also liked a mooch around [was it called this?] Atlantic Village, the shop mall.I also like Barnstaple, we used to go to a great Chinese rest. there, such good food.I'm near Oxford now, loads of culture stuff, but you know what.... I prefer Barnstaple!

rosesarered Mon 06-Jan-14 16:55:34

I also miss Appledore, and there was a great fish/chip shop there, just off the main st. The Royal Plaice?I think the shop was called that, the best fish ever.

nannyfran Mon 06-Jan-14 17:11:50

rosesarered, so sorry you have moved away and are missing Devon. I agree, there are lots of good things to do in Bideford. I love the Burton, they always have something of interest and coffee too.
I hope you grow to love your new home too, it's a lovely part of the world as I remember, I've got a cousin in Hempton. Sorry I never got the chance to meet you.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jan-14 11:01:38

Thank you nannyfran We didn't live there for very long, but got to know everywhere quickly and really enjoyed it, but family have pulled us back to this area and we now enjoy seeing the grandchildren more and old friends as well.The Cotswolds are just on the doorstep, and Oxford, so yes, it is a good area to live, but there are some aspects of Devon that we still miss [especially the sea!] Yes, we used to pop into the Burton Gallery and have a coffee and look at exhibitions there, and a roam on the beach at Westward Ho!

Ariadne Tue 07-Jan-14 12:27:44

Sorry you can't join us, roses! it is a lovely place to live. Mind you, Wesward Ho! is a bit of a state at the moment from the floods, and the pebble ridge at Northam has been breached too. I love Hartland Point as well, but, given the weather, haven't been up there for a while.

Mill street is a MUST for our get together!

rosesarered Tue 07-Jan-14 12:47:55

Hope that you all have a lovely get together.I did wonder about all the bungalows that they built at Westward Ho!They seemed far too near the sea.Hartland Point was a fave place to go and also to take visitors, my DGS had his first ever ice cream there.It was lovely at all seasons and we usually had a pub grub meal while we were there too.I have a teatowel to remind me!
Sorry for butting into this thread when I can't meet up with you all.Just nice to know what is going on there. smile

numberplease Tue 07-Jan-14 17:25:46

I`ve always wanted to visit Bideford, I do wish that I could join you.

Oldgreymare Tue 07-Jan-14 19:37:35

Sounds good Ariadne , I enjoyed our last meeting but would need directions/preferably by train.

sunflowersuffolk Tue 07-Jan-14 19:50:11

Oh, I feel so nostalgic for Bideford - I lived there in the 1970s, our first house. Unfortunately moved away due to lack of work - but still love it. I used to love my "commute" to Barnstaple each day- either along the coast thro Instow, or throught the beautiful country, seeing the milk churns left out for collection.

Have a lovely sociable meetup.

Ariadne Sat 11-Jan-14 15:53:54

Trains come direct to Barnstaple from Exeter, OGM.....We could fix it, I'm sure.

Oldgreymare Sun 12-Jan-14 09:22:11

Sounds good to me, any more 'takers'?

Ariadne Tue 21-Jan-14 15:23:11

Bump - just checking! smile

Anne58 Tue 21-Jan-14 15:26:34

You know I want to come!

Currently car-less, as Mr P has commandeered it for going to work, but we're working on that one!

Would you believe (well, yes you probably would!) there is NO bus service from Shebbear to Bideford! Apparently one would get a bus to Torrington, and then another one to Bideford. confused

Ariadne Wed 26-Feb-14 10:06:07

Right! The weather seems to be improving, so shall we get a move on? I am looking at the week beginning 24th March, but not Thursday 27th. That is just before the school holidays begin.

I would prefer Bideford, to be honest; there is a bus from Barnstaple to Bideford Quay, which is central.

So can we start talking dates, and see where we go?

Looking forward to it! grin

nannyfran Wed 26-Feb-14 10:37:20

I'd also prefer Bideford if possible.I've nothing fixed for that week at present so any day would do. What about the Burton, it's easy to park there, but I'm open to suggestions.

Anne58 Wed 26-Feb-14 11:05:18

Currently available on any day!

grannyactivist Wed 26-Feb-14 21:08:40

I can do Friday 28th March. smile

Ariadne Thu 27-Feb-14 16:10:04

Or Barkers up the High street - supposed to be good! Must have a licence! grin there is a Wetherspoons.....good value, I suppose. Or the KIngs Arms on the Quay is OK, or the Riverside.

Will investigate. "Time spent in reconnaissance is eldom wasted"

Shall we say 28th March so that ga can make it? Having my knee replacement on the Monday so need to get all my gadding done before then!

I shall start to make a list....

(roses they have refurbished The Seagate pub in Appledore and it is superb. Too far out for our meeting, though.)