Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Edinburgh meetup during festival?

(107 Posts)
Elegran Mon 21-Jul-14 09:49:03

While the Newcastle meetup was being organised, one in Edinburgh during the festival was mentioned. Edinburgh is packed to the crowsteps in August, so it may not be easy to book for a large party, but there are plenty of eateries so surely something will be possible. Any opinions on where to eat? ROSL as we have done before? Somewhere else?

Dates of festivals are -:

Edinburgh International Festival 8-31 August
Festival Fringe 1st to 25th August
Edinburgh Art Festival 31 July – 31 August
Edinburgh International Book Festival 9 - 25 August

More about each of the festivals plus links at www.edinburghspotlight.com/2014/01/info-dates-for-2013-festivals/ (I think they are still using the same webpage as last year and haven't changed the name)

Marelli Mon 21-Jul-14 09:52:23

Count me in. I don't mind where or which date as August is mainly free for me. smile

ayse Mon 21-Jul-14 09:59:26

August is a bit soon for me as I have promised my pregnant DD and SIL to decorate the babies bedroom, rather than having DD do it. SIL has banned her from climbing ladders, breathing in paint fumes etc. etc. I agree with him as twins via IVF was an expensive business and obviously I really want the pregnancy to go well.
I think it may depend on the actual date agreed before I could say yah or nay
Still its a great thought smile

Marelli Mon 21-Jul-14 10:03:53

If you can't manage August, Ayse, perhaps October may be an option for you? I think we spoke about that as well when we'd returned from Newcastle.

ayse Mon 21-Jul-14 10:24:14

Marelli, I'm going to be away in NZ in October and November but if the date in August is OK, I'd love to come. Thank you for the suggestion smile

Tegan Mon 21-Jul-14 10:53:27

I'm around from 18th to the end of August!

janeainsworth Mon 21-Jul-14 15:50:01

I have a few commitments in August but will come if I can.

mcem Mon 21-Jul-14 15:54:16

Would love to manage this time but school term starts mid-August so I may be needed. Will keep an eye on suggested dates.

thatbags Mon 21-Jul-14 19:54:54

Add my name to the list please. I might prefer October too. It's hard to move in Edinburgh during the Festival and Fringe, though if people wanted to combine a GN meetup and Festival thing...

Elegran Mon 21-Jul-14 20:00:50

It is possible that there will be another in September, and yet another in October. Ariadne will be passing through on the way to Dundee round about 7th September, and Finnochio was asking about October.

thatbags Mon 21-Jul-14 21:38:27

grin

besottedgran Mon 21-Jul-14 23:15:00

Afraid August is out for me but should love to try for the October meet.

ffinnochio Tue 22-Jul-14 07:12:53

I'm still interested in an October meet-up if it can be arranged in the first couple of weeks of that month.
Any recommendations on centrally placed budget hotels appreciated.

Marmight Tue 22-Jul-14 07:54:10

I can do up to 26 August. Will then be away until mid September - village twinning visit to Italy and then DGD starts school and needs picking up at noon, so Granny on duty for first week!
Depending on when, I can offer accommodation for up to 3.

Elizabeth1 Fri 25-Jul-14 14:27:40

Count me in as I would love to meet up again with all you Gransnet grannies and grandads. My grandchildren are visiting for 2 weeks and I'll be free after the 18th August until 3rd week in September when my daughter is due her second baby woohoo just can't wait. I'm not working for Country Cousins now until next year when I can fit it in. sunshine I just love this retiral larky.sunshine

Elegran Fri 25-Jul-14 15:09:43

To recap (the story so far . . .) we have:-

Marmight - until 26th august
Tegan - 18 August to end August
Elizabeth 1 - after 18 August to end August
Marelli - all of August
Me - all of August
JaneAinsworth - yes if the date is OK
Ayse -yes if the date is OK
Thatbags - yes but would prefer October

Ariadne for approx 7th September
Ffinnochio - First couple of weeks of October

It looks as though the most likely date is between Tuesday 19 August and Sunday 31 September. We can leave out the September and October dates for now, but bear them in mind.

Where do you want to meet? The ROSL, where we have met before, has a Festival Music programme of "Chopin after Lunch" at 2 pm each day. www.rosl.org.uk/UserFiles/File/ROSL%20ARTS%20/ROSL_Ed_Fringe_GOLD%20Final.pdf

Any other ideas?

moomin Fri 25-Jul-14 15:33:11

I'd love to come to Edinburgh, but August is out for me due to school holiday commitments. So September/October looks good at the moment if a meetup is scheduled for that period.

Elegran Fri 25-Jul-14 15:40:16

I foresee a busy time ahead for Scottish meetups.

janeainsworth Fri 25-Jul-14 16:52:51

I hope I'll be able to come, Elegran. I'll be going to Cambridge for 2-3 days on 23rd, so 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd would suit me best.

I've been to some of the recitals at the ROSL during the festival and it's a very nice venue and setting.

Elegran Fri 25-Jul-14 18:50:57

I hope you can be there, * janeainsworth* How do the 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd sound to everyone else? And is anyone else interested?

No Chopin on 19th or 21st, but at 2pm on 20th it is

Sophia Dee piano
Françoise-Green piano duo

Chopin Scherzo No 1 in b Op 20
Schumann Polonaise 3 and 4 WoO20
Chopin Nocturne in F Op 15 No 1
Chopin Nocturne in Eb Op 55 No 2
Schumann Bilder aus Osten Op 66
Chopin Scherzo No 3 in c# Op 39

and at 2pm on 22nd it is

Sophia Dee piano
Michael Foyle violin
Somi Kim piano

Chopin Ballade No 4 in f Op 52
Chopin Barcarolle in f# Op 60
Chopin Etude in a Op 25 No 2
Franck Sonata in A

(Also Chopin on 18th)

At 4pm there is also "Mozart at Teatime" on 18th, 19th and 20th, "Brahms at Teatime" on 21st and "Schubert at Teatime" on 22nd.

Tickets in advance or at the door £12.00, £10.00 CONCESSIONS
Performances last approximately 1 hour.
Complimentary Coffee / tea and shortbread are served after
events (unless otherwise stated)

thatbags Fri 25-Jul-14 19:02:08

All those dates fine for me at the moment.

Marelli Fri 25-Jul-14 19:06:19

I'm fine with the dates you've suggested, Elegran. And definitely would like to be included in the October meet-up (although I know we're not discussing this now) smile

Tegan Fri 25-Jul-14 19:27:19

I'm fine with those dates. Can we still go to the zoo as well!

Elegran Fri 25-Jul-14 19:47:55

Good, Thatbags, Marelli

Yes, Tegan we can go to the zoo as well but not on the same day! Ideally not within a couple of days, both occupations are tiring - feet and/or tongue completely worn out.

baubles Fri 25-Jul-14 22:38:50

Aaaaargh I'm missing another one!!

August is out for me but please put me down for October (not really discussing it, just marking my place grin)